|Member of Parliament|
for Radin Mas SMC
|Assumed office |
10 July 2020
|Preceded by||Sam Tan (PAP)|
|Member of Parliament|
for Tanjong Pagar GRC
11 September 2015 – 23 June 2020
|Preceded by||Constituency established|
|Succeeded by||Alvin Tan (PAP)|
|Political party||People's Action Party|
|Alma mater||Nanyang Technological University (BAcy)|
University of Leicester (MS)
Melvin Yong Yik Chye (Chinese: 杨益财; pinyin: Yáng Yìcái; born 1972) is a Singaporean politician, union leader and former police officer. A member of the governing People's Action Party (PAP), he has been the Member of Parliament (MP) representing Radin Mas SMC since 2020 and previously the Moulmein–Cairnhill division of Tanjong Pagar GRC between 2015 and 2020.
Prior to entering politics, Yong had served in the Singapore Police Force (SPF) between 1995 and 2015. He is currently an assistant secretary-general and director at the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC), as well as the executive secretary of the National Transport Workers' Union and United Workers of Electronics & Electrical Industries.
Yong attended The Chinese High School and National Junior College before he was awarded a scholarship from the Singapore Police Force in 1992 to study at Nanyang Technological University, from which he graduated in 1995 with a Bachelor of Accountancy degree.
Yong started his career in the Singapore Police Force in 1995 and retired in August 2015 with the rank of Assistant Commissioner. During his service, he held various key appointments, including deputy director (Planning & Organisation), Director (Administration & Finance), Commander of Clementi Police Division, deputy director (Operations) and Director (Public Affairs).
In 2011, Yong started the Delta League, a youth engagement programme using football to keep youths out of trouble during the June and December school holidays. In 2015, he was appointed as special adviser to the Delta League and continues to provide guidance on the development of the league.
Yong also served on the National Crime Prevention Council and the National Police Cadet Corps Council. He was also the Vice Chairman of the Police Sports Association and Vice Chairman of the POLWEL Cooperative Society.
On 19 August 2015, Yong was introduced as one of the People's Action Party (PAP) candidates to be fielded in Tanjong Pagar GRC during the 2015 general election. On 11 September 2015, the PAP team for Tanjong Pagar GRC consisting of Chan Chun Sing, Indranee Rajah, Chia Shi-Lu, Joan Pereira and Yong won with 77.7% of the total votes.
On 7 October 2015, Yong was appointed chairman of the Tanjong Pagar Town Council and an advisor to the Radin Mas Grassroots Organisation.
As a trade union-affiliated Member of Parliament, Yong delivered his maiden parliamentary speech at the debate on the President's address, focusing on the importance of tripartism as Singapore's key economic advantage.
Yong is a member of both the Transport Government Parliamentary Committee (GPC) and the Community, Culture & Youth GPC.
Yong became a People's Association grassroots leader in 2002 when he joined the newly formed Punggol Cove Residents’ Committee as a member. He later became the committee's chairman from 2005 to 2008 before stepping down to take on appointments in the Punggol North Citizens' Consultative Committee (CCC). Yong was the CCC's treasurer and secretary between 2008 and 2015.
On 1 January 2016, Yong joined the United Workers of Electronics & Electrical Industries as its deputy executive secretary and subsequently took over from Heng Chee How as the executive secretary on 1 June 2016. In 2018, Yong was elected president of the IndustriALL Singapore Council.
Yong was appointed a Member of the National Wages Council since 2016.
After a spate of lift breakdowns in late 2016, Yong wrote on the struggles of lift technicians in Singapore on the NTUC's blog Labourbeat. He subsequently became the chairman of the Lift & Escalator Sectoral Tripartite Committee to work on a Manpower Development Plan for the lift and escalator industry.
Yong is married and has two children with his wife Connie.
- "MP | Parliament Of Singapore". www.parliament.gov.sg.
- "MELVIN YONG YIK CHYE 杨益财" (PDF). Parliament of Singapore.
- "Delta League" (PDF). National Crime Prevention Council. 2013.
- "MELVIN YONG YIK CHYE" (PDF). PAP. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "New MP and Aljunied candidate take up senior posts at NTUC". The Straits Times. 22 September 2015.
- "Tanjong Pagar Town Council Annual Report 2015/2016" (PDF). Tanjong Pagar Town Council. 21 October 2016. Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 April 2018. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- "Speech by Melvin Yong (MP for Tanjong Pagar GRC) at the Debate on President's Address on 25 January 2016". Melvin Yong's Facebook. 2016.
- "Government Parliamentary Committees". PAP.
- "MELVIN YONG YIK CHYE CV" (PDF).
- "Opening of Singapore's Parliament: Who are the new MPs making their debut?". AsiaOne. 15 January 2016.
- "New MP and Aljunied candidate take up senior posts at NTUC". The Straits Times. 22 September 2015. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "How Singapore is Tackling the Fourth Industrial Revolution".
- "National Wages Council". Singapore Tripartism Forum.
- "Melvin Yong: Uplifting the Lift Industry - LabourBeat". LabourBeat. 7 October 2016. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "First Lift & Escalator Sectoral Tripartite Committee (STC) meeting". Facebook. 20 March 2017.
- "6 new members appointed to board of Land Transport Authority". The Straits Times. 31 August 2017.
- "Melvin Yong and Desmond Choo to move up as NTUC assistant secretaries-general". The Straits Times. 23 February 2018.