Memsource Cloud 5.10, Memsource Editor 5.192, Memsource Web Editor 5.67.2 / August 2016
|Operating system||Web, Windows, OS X, Linux|
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Memsource, headquartered in Prague, the Czech Republic, provides a cloud-based translation environment and is a type of CAT tool. Memsource Cloud includes translation memory, terminology management, quality assurance, integrated machine translation and a web-based as well as desktop translator’s workbench.
Memsource was founded by David Canek, its current CEO, in 2010. Memsource Cloud was launched to the public in early 2011
Memsource Cloud is provided as software as a service and uses a freemium business model. It offers the Personal, Academic and Developer editions for free, while it charges a monthly subscription fee for its more feature-rich offerings. These are the Freelancer edition (aimed at freelance translators) and the Team Start, Team, and Ultimate editions (aimed at translation companies).
Memsource Cloud supports over 50 file formats for translation. These are Microsoft Office files, XML, HTML, software localization files, bilingual file formats, such as XLIFF, TTX, desktop publishing formats, such as Adobe InDesign and FrameMaker, and others. This is the full list:
- .doc, .docx, .dot, .dotx, .docm, .dotm, .rtf, .ppt, .pptx, .pot, .potx, .pptm, .potm, .xls, .xlsx, .xlt, .xltx, .xlsm, .xltm
- .htm, .html
- .idml (.indd), .icml, .mif (version 8 and above only), .svg
- .ttx (pre-segmented), .sdlxliff
- .xml, .xhtm, .xhtml, Android .xml
- .xliff (1.2), xliff (2.0), .xliff for WordPress, .tmx
- .dita, .ditamap
- .catkeys, .csv, (Magento).csv, .dbk, .desktop, (Mozilla).DTD, .epub, (Joomla).ini, .json, .lang, .Plist, .po, .properties, (Java).properties, .resx, .srt, .strings, .sub, .ts, .txt, .wiki, .yaml
Memsource provides both a desktop and web-based translator’s workbench. The latter gets launched directly from the Memsource Cloud environment. The desktop version, Memsource Editor, installs on Windows, Mac, and Linux and is available as a free download. The actual file for translation is stored on a user’s PC, while for all other translation resources (translation memory, terminology…) the Editor connects to Memsource Cloud. It works in a similar way as other, more traditional desktop-only CAT tools.
Memsource provides a lot of its functionality through its public API. These include translation memory API, terminology API, file conversion API, quality assurance API, and others. The API is provided via HTTP/JSON and there is a free Developer edition available for development/testing purposes.
- "Supported File Formats". Memsource. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Memsource and Studio 2011: a side-by-side comparison". Signs and Symptoms of Translation. Emma Goldsmith. 2012-11-09. Retrieved 2012-12-27.
I was up and running in no time.