Members of the Australian Senate, 2011–2014
[[File:Australian Senate (2011 election).svg|right|thumb|250px|Government (32) - (7 seat minority)
This is a list of members of the Australian Senate between 2011 and 2014. Half of the state senators had been elected at the November 2007 election and had terms due to finish on 30 June 2014; the other half of the state senators were elected at the August 2010 election and had terms due to finish on 30 June 2017. The territory senators were elected at the August 2010 election and their terms ended at the dissolution of the House of Representatives, which was September 2013. The new Senate first met in July 2011, with state senators elected in 2010 sworn in on 4 July 2011.
|Senator||Party||State||End term||Years in office|
|Hon. Eric Abetz||Liberal||Tasmania||2017||1994–present|
|Adams, JudithJudith Adams [a]||Liberal||Western Australia||2017||2005–2012|
|Arbib, MarkMark Arbib [b]||Labor||New South Wales||2014||2008–2012|
|Back, ChrisChris Back||Liberal||Western Australia||2017||2009–2017|
|Bernardi, CoryCory Bernardi||Liberal||South Australia||2014||2006–present|
|Bilyk, CatrynaCatryna Bilyk||Labor||Tasmania||2014||2008–present|
|Birmingham, SimonSimon Birmingham||Liberal||South Australia||2014||2007–present|
|Bishop, MarkMark Bishop||Labor||Western Australia||2014||1996–2014|
|Hon. Ron Boswell||LNP [c]||Queensland||2014||1983–2014|
|Boyce, SueSue Boyce||LNP [c]||Queensland||2014||2007–2014|
|Hon. George Brandis||LNP [d]||Queensland||2017||2000–present|
|Brown, BobBob Brown [e]||Greens||Tasmania||2014||1996–2012|
|Brown, CarolCarol Brown||Labor||Tasmania||2014||2005–present|
|Bushby, DavidDavid Bushby||Liberal||Tasmania||2017||2007–present|
|Cameron , DougDoug Cameron||Labor||New South Wales||2014||2008–present|
|Hon. Bob Carr [b][f]||Labor||New South Wales||2014||2012–2013|
|Hon. Kim Carr||Labor||Victoria||2017||1993–present|
|Cash, MichaeliaMichaelia Cash||Liberal||Western Australia||2014||2008–present|
|Hon. Richard Colbeck||Liberal||Tasmania||2014||2002–2016|
|Collins, JacintaJacinta Collins||Labor||Victoria||2014||1995–2005, 2008–present|
|Hon. Stephen Conroy||Labor||Victoria||2017||1996–2016|
|Hon. Helen Coonan [g]||Liberal||New South Wales||2014||1996–2011|
|Hon. Mathias Cormann||Liberal||Western Australia||2017||2008–present|
|Crossin, TrishTrish Crossin [h]||Labor||Northern Territory||2013 [i]||1998–2013|
|Dastyari, SamSam Dastyari [j]||Labor||New South Wales||2017||2013–present|
|Di Natale, RichardRichard Di Natale||Greens||Victoria||2017||2011–present|
|Edwards, SeanSean Edwards||Liberal||South Australia||2017||2011–2016|
|Eggleston, AlanAlan Eggleston||Liberal||Western Australia||2014||1996–2014|
|Hon. Chris Evans [k]||Labor||Western Australia||2017||1993–2013|
|Farrell, DonDon Farrell||Labor||South Australia||2014||2008–2014, 2016–present|
|Hon. John Faulkner||Labor||New South Wales||2017||1989–2015|
|Fawcett, DavidDavid Fawcett||Liberal||South Australia||2017||2011–present|
|Feeney, DavidDavid Feeney [l]||Labor||Victoria||2014||2008–2013|
|Fierravanti-Wells, ConcettaConcetta Fierravanti-Wells||Liberal||New South Wales||2017||2005–present|
|Fifield, MitchMitch Fifield||Liberal||Victoria||2014||2004–present|
|Fisher, Mary JoMary Jo Fisher [m]||Liberal||South Australia||2017||2007–2012|
|Furner, MarkMark Furner||Labor||Queensland||2014||2008–2014|
|Gallacher, AlexAlex Gallacher||Labor||South Australia||2017||2011–present|
|Hanson-Young, SarahSarah Hanson-Young||Greens||South Australia||2014||2008–present|
|Hon. Bill Heffernan||Liberal||New South Wales||2017||1996–2016|
|Hon. John Hogg||Labor||Queensland||2014||1996–2014|
|Humphries, GaryGary Humphries [n]||Liberal||Australian Capital Territory||2013 [i]||2003–2013|
|Hon. David Johnston||Liberal||Western Australia||2014||2002–2016|
|Joyce, BarnabyBarnaby Joyce [o]||LNP [c]||Queensland||2017||2005–2013|
|Kroger, HelenHelen Kroger||Liberal||Victoria||2014||2008–2014|
|Lines, SueSue Lines [k]||Labor||Western Australia||2017||2013–present|
|Ludlam, ScottScott Ludlam||Greens||Western Australia||2014||2008–2017|
|Hon. Joe Ludwig||Labor||Queensland||2017||1999–2016|
|Lundy, KateKate Lundy||Labor||Australian Capital Territory||2013 [i]||1996–2015|
|Hon. Ian Macdonald||LNP [d]||Queensland||2014||1990–present|
|Anne McEwen||Labor||South Australia||2017||2005–2016|
|Hon. Jan McLucas||Labor||Queensland||2017||1999–2016|
|Madigan, JohnJohn Madigan||DLP||Victoria||2017||2011–2016|
|Marshall, GavinGavin Marshall||Labor||Victoria||2014||2002–present|
|Hon. Brett Mason||LNP [d]||Queensland||2017||1999–2015|
|Milne, ChristineChristine Milne||Greens||Tasmania||2017||2005–2015|
|Moore, ClaireClaire Moore||Labor||Queensland||2014||2002–present|
|Nash, FionaFiona Nash||National||New South Wales||2017||2005–present|
|O'Neill, DeborahDeborah O'Neill [f]||Labor||New South Wales||2014||2013–present|
|O'Sullivan, BarryBarry O'Sullivan [o]||LNP [c]||Queensland||2017||2014–present|
|Payne, MariseMarise Payne||Liberal||New South Wales||2014||1997–present|
|Parry, StephenStephen Parry||Liberal||Tasmania||2017||2005–present|
|Peris, NovaNova Peris [h]||Labor||Northern Territory||2016 [p]||2013–present|
|Polley, HelenHelen Polley||Labor||Tasmania||2017||2005–present|
|Pratt, LouiseLouise Pratt||Labor||Western Australia||2014||2008–2014, 2016–present|
|Rhiannon, LeeLee Rhiannon||Greens||New South Wales||2017||2011–present|
|Ruston, AnneAnne Ruston [m]||Liberal||South Australia||2017||2012–present|
|Ryan, ScottScott Ryan||Liberal||Victoria||2014||2008–present|
|Hon. Nigel Scullion||CLP [q]||Northern Territory||2013 [i]||2001–present|
|Seselja, ZedZed Seselja [n]||Liberal||Australian Capital Territory||2016 [p]||2013–present|
|Hon. Nick Sherry [r]||Labor||Tasmania||2014||1990–2012|
|Siewert, RachelRachel Siewert||Greens||Western Australia||2017||2005–present|
|Hon. Lisa Singh||Labor||Tasmania||2017||2011–present|
|Sinodinos, ArthurArthur Sinodinos [g]||Liberal||New South Wales||2014||2011–present|
|Smith, DeanDean Smith [a]||Liberal||Western Australia||2017||2012–present|
|Hon. Ursula Stephens||Labor||New South Wales||2014||2002–2014|
|Sterle, GlennGlenn Sterle||Labor||Western Australia||2017||2005–present|
|Thistlethwaite, MattMatt Thistlethwaite [j]||Labor||New South Wales||2017||2011–2013|
|Hon. Lin Thorp [r]||Labor||Tasmania||2014||2012–2014|
|Tillem, MehmetMehmet Tillem [l]||Labor||Victoria||2014||2013–2014|
|Urquhart, AnneAnne Urquhart||Labor||Tasmania||2017||2011–present|
|Waters, LarissaLarissa Waters||Greens||Queensland||2017||2011–2017|
|Whish-Wilson, PeterPeter Whish-Wilson [e]||Greens||Tasmania||2014||2012–present|
|Williams, JohnJohn Williams||National||New South Wales||2014||2008–present|
|Hon. Penny Wong||Labor||South Australia||2014||2002–present|
|Wright, PennyPenny Wright||Greens||South Australia||2017||2011–2015|
|Xenophon, NickNick Xenophon||Independent||South Australia||2014||2008–present|
- Western Australian Senator Judith Adams died of breast cancer on 31 March 2012. The Parliament of Western Australia appointed Dean Smith as her replacement on 2 May 2012.
- New South Wales Labor Senator Mark Arbib resigned on 5 March 2012. Former New South Wales Premier Bob Carr was appointed as his replacement on 6 March 2012.
- There is no separate LNP party room. Senators Boswell, Joyce and O'Sullivan sat in the National party room.
- There is no separate LNP party room. Senators Boyce, Brandis, Mason and Macdonald sat in the Liberal party room.
- Tasmanian Greens Senator Bob Brown resigned on 15 June 2012. The Parliament of Tasmania appointed Peter Whish-Wilson as his replacement on 20 June 2012.
- New South Wales Labor Senator Bob Carr resigned on 24 October 2013, after the election in September 2013, creating two vacancies, the balance of his term & the new term to end on 30 June 2020. On 13 November 2013 Deborah O'Neill, who had lost her House of Representatives seat at the 2013 federal election, was appointed to the vacancy from 24 October 2013 to 30 June 2014. On 2 July 2013 O'Neill was appointed to the vacancy in the new term to 30 June 2020.
- New South Wales Liberal Senator Helen Coonan resigned on 22 August 2011. Arthur Sinodinos was appointed as her replacement on 13 October 2011.
- Northern Territory Labor Senator Trish Crossin was succeeded at the 2013 election by party colleague Nova Peris who assumed her seat immediately under electoral law.
- The term of a territory senator ends at the dissolution of the House of Representatives, which was September 2013.
- New South Wales Labor Senator Matt Thistlethwaite resigned on 9 August to contest the House of Representatives seat of Kingsford Smith.Sam Dastyari was appointed as his replacement on 21 August.
- Western Australian Labor Senator Chris Evans]] resigned on 12 April 2013. Sue Lines was appointed as his replacement on 15 May 2013.
- Victorian Labor Senator David Feeney resigned on 12 August to contest the House of Representatives seat of Batman. Mehmet Tillem was appointed by the Victorian Parliament as Feeney's replacement on the same day.
- South Australian Liberal Senator Mary Jo Fisher resigned on 14 August 2012. Anne Ruston was appointed as her replacement on 5 September 2012.
- Australian Capital Territory Liberal Senator Gary Humphries was succeeded at the 2013 election by party colleague Zed Seselja who assumed his seat immediately under electoral law.
- Queensland LNP Senator Barnaby Joyce resigned on 8 August to contest the House of Representatives seat of New England at the 2013 federal election. The LNP nominated Barry O'Sullivan to fill Joyce's vacancy, however his appointment was delayed until 11 February 2014 due to his involvement in an investigation by the Crime and Misconduct Commission.
- Elected as a territory Senator in 2013 for a term ending at the next dissolution of the House of Representatives, which was July 2016.
- Northern Territory Senator Nigel Scullion sits as the sole representative of the Country Liberal Party, the local equivalent of both the National and Liberal parties. He sits in the National party room, and serves as the National Party deputy leader in the Senate.
- Tasmanian Labor Senator Nick Sherry resigned on 1 June 2012. The Parliament of Tasmania appointed former state MLC Lin Thorp as his replacement on 20 June 2012.
- "Members of the Senate" (PDF). Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). Commonwealth of Australia: Senate. 4 July 2011. pp. ii–iii.
- "Liberal senator loses battle with cancer". The Sydney Morning Herald - National Times. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- Ireland, Judith; Wright, Jessica (27 February 2012). "Arbib resigns as minister and senator". The Sydney Morning Herald - National Times. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "Bob Carr endorsed as NSW senator". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 6 March 2012. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "Ruston formally appointed to Senate". ABC News. 5 September 2012. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "Nick Sherry will resign from the Senate on 1 June 2012". Multimedia Gippsland Times -. Gippsland Times. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 9 May 2012.