Members of the Northern Ireland Assembly elected in 2011
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
This is a list of the 108 members of the Northern Ireland Assembly (MLAs) elected in 2011. All members elected at the assembly elections, held on 5 May 2011 are listed. Eighty-three of the MLAs elected in 2011 had been members for all or part of the Assembly's previous term. This includes 11 individuals (marked with an asterisk in the table below) who became MLAs in the previous Assembly by virtue of substitution (see Members of the Northern Ireland Assembly elected in 2007). Twenty of the MLAs elected in 2011 are women.
Not to be confused: Paul Girvan (South Antrim) and Paul Givan (Lagan Valley) are different people, although both were co-opted to replace retiring Democratic Unionist members of the last Assembly. Roy Beggs, Jr. (born 1962) is the son of the Ulster Unionist Roy Beggs (born 1936), a former Assembly member for North Antrim and former MP for East Antrim in the British House of Commons. Similarly Mark H. Durkan (b. 1978) is the nephew of the former SDLP leader Mark Durkan (b. 1960), who left the Assembly after his election in 2010 as MP for Foyle.
New members elected in May 2011
Twenty-five members of the third Assembly who were sitting at its dissolution on 24 March 2011 were succeeded by new members after the election of 5 May 2011. Seventeen sitting members did not present themselves for re-election and another eight were defeated at the polls. One re-elected member had been elected with a different affiliation in 2007.
The numbers indicate the percentage of votes each member received in the first round of counting under the Single Transferable Vote in the 2011 election, and the round which decided his or her election or defeat.
This is a sortable table arranged alphabetically by the new member's surname. In some constituencies (Foyle, West Tyrone and Fermanagh & South Tyrone) where it is not possible to couple a single outgoing member by party with a single successor, the incoming members are arranged alphabetically (so the second one may be out of alphabetic order with the rest of the table) and the outgoing members are arranged arbitrarily.
|Wilson, BrianBrian Wilson (retiring)||Green Party in N. Ireland||—||—||North Down||Agnew, StevenSteven Agnew||Green||7.9%||11|
|O'Loan, DeclanDeclan O'Loan||SDLP||9.1%||9||North Antrim||Allister, JimJim Allister||Trad. U. Voice||10.1%||9|
|McGill, ClaireClaire McGill (retiring)||Sinn Féin||—||—||West Tyrone||Boyle, MichaelaMichaela Boyle||Sinn Féin||12.9%||4|
|Cobain, FredFred Cobain||Ulster Unionist||8.2%||7||Belfast North||Bradley, PaulaPaula Bradley||DUP||10.4%||6|
|Bresland, AllanAllan Bresland
Deeny, KieranKieran Deeny (retiring)
|West Tyrone||Byrne, JoeJoe Byrne
Hussey, RossRoss Hussey
|Purvis, DawnDawn Purvis||Ind. (elected as Prog. U.)||5.3%||11||Belfast East||Cochrane, JudithJudith Cochrane||Alliance||13.4%||7|
|Empey, RegReg Empey (retiring)
|Ulster Unionist||—||—||Belfast East||Copeland, MichaelMichael Copeland||UUP||6.8%||11|
|Neeson, SeánSeán Neeson (retiring)||Alliance||—||—||East Antrim||Dickson, StewartStewart Dickson||Alliance||10.0%||9|
|Savage, GeorgeGeorge Savage (retiring)||Ulster Unionist||—||—||Upper Bann||Dobson, Jo-AnneJo-Anne Dobson||UUP||7.9%||7|
|Browne, WallaceWallace Browne (retiring)
Baron Browne of Belmont
|Democratic Unionist||—||—||Belfast East||Douglas, SammySammy Douglas||DUP||8.3%||11|
|McFarland, AlanAlan McFarland||Ind. (elected as UUP)||6.7%||9||North Down||Dunne, GordonGordon Dunne||DUP||13.3%||2|
|Callaghan, PólPól Callaghan
[replaced Mark Durkan, MP]
Mary Bradley (retiring)
|Foyle||Durkan, Mark H.Mark H. Durkan
|Gallagher, TommyTommy Gallagher||SDLP
|Flanagan, PhilPhil Flanagan||Sinn Féin||10.6%||6|
|McHugh, GerryGerry McHugh (retiring)||Ind. (elected as SF)||—||—||Fermanagh &
|Lynch, SeánSeán Lynch||Sinn Féin||10.7%||6|
|Butler, PaulPaul Butler (retiring)||Sinn Féin||—||—||Lagan Valley||Hale, BrendaBrenda Hale||DUP||8.2%||7|
|Burns, ThomasThomas Burns||SDLP||10.6%||0||South Antrim||Lewis, PamPam Lewis||DUP||8.9%||4|
|Paisley, IanIan Paisley, PC (retiring)
|Democratic Unionist||—||—||North Antrim||McIlveen, DavidDavid McIlveen||DUP||8.1%||8|
|Bradley, P.J.P.J. Bradley (retiring)||SDLP||—||—||South Down||McKevitt, KarenKaren McKevitt||SDLP||9.0%||9|
|Robinson, KenKen Robinson (retiring)||Ulster Unionist||—||—||East Antrim||McMullan, OliverOliver McMullan||Sinn Féin||8.2%||10|
|Gibson, SimpsonSimpson Gibson (retiring)
[replaced Jim Shannon]
|Democratic Unionist||—||—||Strangford||Nesbitt, MikeMike Nesbitt||UUP||11.0%||6|
|Leonard, BillyBilly Leonard (retiring)
[replaced Francie Brolly]
|Sinn Féin (suspended)||—||—||East Londonderry||O'Hoison CathalCathal Ó hOisín||Sinn Féin||13.5%||6|
|Armstrong, BillyBilly Armstrong (retiring)||Ulster Unionist||—||—||Mid Ulster||Overend, SandraSandra Overend||UUP||10.3%||6|
|Coulter, RobertRobert Coulter (retiring)||Ulster Unionist||—||—||North Antrim||Swann, RobinRobin Swann||UUP||6.2%||9|
Member returning with a different affiliation
David McClarty, originally elected from East Londonderry as an Ulster Unionist, although not re-nominated by the UUP in 2011, stood successfully for re-election as an independent. This reduced the UUP's strength from 2007, while keeping independent strength in the Assembly at one (as Kieran Deeny, the retiring independent member, was not succeeded in West Tyrone by another independent). McClarty decided not to re-join the UUP after his re-election.
- On 1 April 2012, Seán Rogers was appointed as member for South Down following the resignation of Margaret Ritchie.
- On 13 April 2012, Chris Hazzard was appointed as member for South Down following the resignation of Willie Clarke.
- On 14 June 2012, Maeve McLaughlin was appointed as member for Foyle following the resignation of Martina Anderson.
- On 2 July 2012, Megan Fearon was appointed as member for Newry and Armagh following the resignation of Conor Murphy.
- On 2 July 2012, Declan McAleer was appointed as member for West Tyrone following the resignation of Pat Doherty.
- On 2 July 2012, Rosie McCorley was appointed as member for West Belfast following the resignation of Paul Maskey.
- On 2 July 2012, Bronwyn McGahan was appointed as member for Fermanagh and South Tyrone following the resignation of Michelle Gildernew.
- On 8 April 2013, Ian Milne was appointed as member for Mid Ulster following the resignation of Francie Molloy.
- Members of the Northern Ireland Assembly elected in 2007
- Northern Ireland Assembly election, 2011
- Executive of the 4th Northern Ireland Assembly
- "Electoral Office 2011 results page". Eoni.org.uk. 2010-11-09. Retrieved 2011-05-12.
- New Durkan aims for leader's seat, The Belfast Telegraph, 10 October 2010 (retrieved 22 May 2011)
- NI Assembly: Latest 2011 Election results, UTV News (retrieved 22 May 2011)
- Full Northern Ireland Results, BBC News, 11 May 2011 (retrieved on 11 May 2011)
- "McClarty: withdraw Sinn Fein 'scum' remark or it's no deal, Tom", by Liam Clarke, The Belfast Telegraph, published and retrieved on Wednesday 11 May 2011.
- "David McClarty says he will remain an independent MLA", BBC, 11 May 2011 (retrieved 12 May 2011)