Membership of Kosovo in international sports federations
Currently Kosovo is a full member of 25 international federations, a provisional member of four international federations, and an associated member of one international federatios. It is also a member of five European federations and associations.
Kosovo is also a full member of the International Olympic Committee and the European Olympic Committees (EOC), with full membership having been granted to the Olympic Committee of Kosovo by the International Olympic Committee on 9 December 2014.
Kosovo participated in first wide multi-sport event at the 2015 European Games in Baku, Azerbaijan and participated at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Prior to the IOC recognition, Kosovo athletes took part in the Special Olympics from 2003 to 2011. A body known as the Special Olympics Kosovo was established to provide support for these athletes. Athletes from Kosovo participated at the 4th World Sports Games for Little People in Rambouillet, France in 2005., in the 2015 World Aquatics Championships in Kazan, Russia, in the 2015 IHF Emerging Nations Championship, etc.
Membership in sport federations
International federations and associations membership
|Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI)||FAI admitted Kosovo as a full member.||Member||25 September 2015|
|Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA)||FIFA admitted Kosovo as its 210th member at its 66th Congress in Mexico City.||Member||13 May 2016|
|Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA)||FIA admitted the Federation of Auto Sport of Kosovo as a member at its annual assembly in 2015.||Member||4 December 2015|
|International Archery Federation (FITA)||FITA admitted Kosovo as a full member.||Member||1 July 2011|
|International Tennis Federation (ITF)||ITF admitted Kosovo as a full member.||Member||25 September 2015|
|International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF)||The IAAF admitted Kosovo as a provisional member "with full rights and obligations" on 15 April 2015 On 19 August 2015, full membership was granted to Kosovo after a vote, with 187 in favour and 13 against.||Member||19 August 2015|
|International Basketball Federation (FIBA)||FIBA admitted Kosovo as a full member.||Member||13 March 2015|
|International Boxing Association (AIBA)||Kosovo became AIBA's 195th federation in July 2012 (provisional). Full membership was granted to Kosovo on 14 November 2014.||Member||14 November 2014|
|International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA)||FILA admitted Kosovo as an associated federation, but not as a full member.||Associate||9 June 2008|
|International Federation of Gymnastics (FIG)||The FIG admitted the Kosovo Gymnastics Federation at its 80th Congress held in Uzbekistan on 29–30 October 2014.||Member||30 October 2014|
|International Handball Federation (IHF)||IHM admitted Kosovo as a full member at the IHF Congress held in Sochi, Russia.||Member||7 November 2015|
|International Judo Federation (IJF)||IJF admitted Kosovo as a full member.||Member||10 April 2012|
|International Kickboxing Federation (IKF)||IKF admitted the Kickboxing Federation of Kosovo as a full member.||Member||18 March 2015|
|International Modern Pentathlon Union (UIPM)||The UIPM admitted the Kosovo Pentathlon Union as a full member at its 2013 Annual Congress in Cyprus.||Member||29 November 2013|
|International Olympic Committee (IOC)||The IOC admitted the Kosovo Olympic Committee as a full member on 9 December 2014 during its 127th IOC session in Monaco.||Member||9 December 2014|
|International Sailing Federation (ISAF)||ISAF admitted Kosovo as a full member.||Member||8 May 2012|
|International Ski Federation (FIS)||Kosovo was granted full membership on 7 November 2015.||Member||7 November 2015|
|International Softball Federation (ISF)||ISF admitted Kosovo as a full member.||Member||12 August 2008|
|International Swimming Federation (FINA)||FINA admitted Kosovo as a full member.||Member||17 February 2015|
|International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF)||Kosovo became a full member in 2003, prior to its declaration of independence.||Member||21 May 2003|
|International Weightlifting Federation (IWF)||IWF admitted Kosovo as a full member.||Member||18 June 2008|
|Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI)||The UCI admitted Kosovo as a full member. Prior to this, the ICU gave Kosovo temporary membership in February 2015 enabling Kosovo to participate in ICU affiliated competitions.||Member||25 September 2015|
|United World Wrestling (UWW)||The UWW admitted Kosovo under provisional membership on 16 January 2015 with full membership yet to be finalised.||Provisional||16 January 2015|
|World Curling Federation (WFC)||The WFC admitted the Kosovo Curling Federation as a provisional member at its 2012 annual general assembly in Scotland.||Provisional||21 October 2012|
|World Karate Federation (WKF)||The WKF admitted the National Karate Federation of Kosovo to provisional membership on 13 December 2014.||Provisional||13 December 2014|
|World Taekwondo Federation (WTF)||The WTF admitted the Kosovo Taekwondo Federation (KTF) at its 2013 Annual Congress. From 14 July 2013 to 12 May 2015 the KTF was a provisional member of WTF. The KTF was granted full WTF membership at the WTF assembly on 12 May 2015.||Member||12 May 2015|
|World Minigolf Sport Federation (WMF)||Kosovo became is a full member of WMF.||Member||[when?]|
|Fédération Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB)||Kosovo became a full member of the FIVB.||Member||10 October 2016|
European federations and associations membership
|European Athletics Association (EAA)||Kosovo became a full member of the EAA on 16 October 2015.||Member||16 October 2015|
|European Handball Federation (EHF)||Kosovo became a full member of the EHF on 20 September 2014.||Member||20 September 2014|
|European Minigolfsport Federation (EMF)||Kosovo became a member of the EMF in April 2012.||Member||20 April 2012|
|European Olympic Committees (EOC)||The EOI automatically admitted the Kosovo Olympic Committee as a full member after Kosovo received full membership in the International Olympic Committee on 9 December 2014.||Member||9 December 2014|
|Tennis Europe||Tennis Europe admitted Kosovo as a full member.||Member||28 March 2015|
|Union of European Football Associations (UEFA)||Kosovo became a full member of the Union of European Football Associations on 3 May 2016.||Member||3 May 2016|
|European Karate Federation (EFK)||Kosovo is a full member of EFK.||Member||[when?]|
|European Judo Union (EJU)||Kosovo is a full member of EJU.||Member||[when?]|
|European Union of Gymnastics (EUG)||Kosovo is a full member of EUG.||Member||24 November 2015|
|European Volleyball Confederation (CEV)||Kosovo is a full member of CEV.||Member||21 January 2017|
|European Shooting Confederation (ESC)||Kosovo is a full member of ESC.||Member||[when?]|
|Ligue européenne de natation (LEN)||Kosovo is a full member of LEN.||Member||[when?]|
|European Chess Union (ECU)||Kosovo is a full member of ECU.||Member||[when?]|
- Kosovo is the subject of a territorial dispute between the Republic of Kosovo and the Republic of Serbia. The Republic of Kosovo unilaterally declared independence on 17 February 2008, but Serbia continues to claim it as part of its own sovereign territory. The two governments began to normalise relations in 2013, as part of the Brussels Agreement. Kosovo has received formal recognition as an independent state from 111 out of 193 United Nations member states.
- "Find A Page". Special Olympics. Retrieved 2017-03-20.
- 2007 Special Olympics World Summer Games > EE.SO Kosovo
- Little People of Kosova
- FAI (25 September 2015). Twitter https://twitter.com/airsports_fai/status/647327064069140480. Retrieved 27 September 2015. Missing or empty
- "FIFA Congress drives football forward, first female secretary general appointed". FIFA. 13 May 2016. Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- "2015 FIA Annual General Assembly Report". FIA.com. 4 December 2015. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "146 Member Associations - FITA Directory" (pdf). International Archery Federation. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- "FITA admit Kosovo as a full member" (PDF).
- ITF (25 September 2015). "David Haggerty elected ITF President". ITF. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "Application for membership – Kosovo" iaaf.org 15 April 2015 Link accessed 2015-04-15
- "International Athletics Governing Body Accepts Kosovo as Full Member sputniknews.com 19 August 2015 Link accessed 2015-08-19
- "Kosovo becomes 215th National Member Federation of FIBA". FIBA. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "Kosovo joins world boxing body as Balkan province uses sport to gain global recognition". Washington Post. 10 July 2012. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "Kosovo Boxing Federation accepted with full rights in the AIBA". 16 November 2014. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- "Official FILA site". Fila-wrestling.com. 2006-05-01. Retrieved 2010-04-28.]
- "Seven Federations Receive Full Membership". IHF. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- Ministri Krasniqi takoi kryetarin e Federatës Ndërkombëtare të Xhudos, z. Marius Vizer, Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport of the Republic of Kosovo, 2012-04-20 (in Albanian)
- The Kosovo Judo Federation was accepted as full member of the International Judo Federation, International Judo Federation, 2012-04-20
- "127th IOC Session comes to close in Monaco". International Olympic Committee. 9 December 2014. Retrieved 6 August 2016.
A day after unanimously approving Olympic Agenda 2020, the 127th IOC Session got straight back to business today in Monaco by granting full recognition to the National Olympic Committee of Kosovo.
- "Kosovo Become Latest ISAF Member National Authority". International Sailing Federation. 8 May 2012. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- FIS, Passing of Hajrush Demaj, Kosovo
- About FIS, National Ski Associations
- "Dhurata për 7 vjetorin e pavarësisë: Federata Ndërkombëtare e Notit pranon Kosovën" newkosovareport.com 14 August 2008 Link accessed 2008-08-14
- "Kosovo Softball Federation wins international recognition" Koha.net 17 February 2015 Link accessed 2015-02-19
- FINA Membership
- "Kosovo faces uphill task for sporting recognition", EarthTimes.org, 27 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-28.
- ITTF Membership
- "More recognitions for Kosovo sports" newkosovareport.com 28 June 2008 Link accessed 2008-06-28
- IWF affiliates new members, International Weightlifting Federation
- "UCI President outlines priorities for the next two years". UCI. 25 September 2015. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "Kosovo joins swimming world body FINA, Kosovar athletes can participate at Baku 2015". 2015 European Games. 19 February 2015. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "Wrestling Approves Significant Reforms to Sport Presentation, Will Recognize Kosovo". United Word Wrestling. 16 January 2015. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- Kosovo Curling Federation becomes provisional world body member, Inside the Games, 21 October 2012
- "Wrestling and taekwondo suspend SportAccord membership".
- "Një lajm i mirë nga Lozana: Kosova bëhet anëtare e Federatës Botërore të Volejbollit". PreshevaJone.com. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- EAA (16 October 2015). Twitter https://twitter.com/EuroAthletics/status/654922093352636416. Retrieved 16 October 2015. Missing or empty
- "KOSOVO BECOMES A FULL MEMBER OF THE EUROPEAN HANDBALL FEDERATION".
- "EMF members list"
- Ministri Krasniqi: Minigolfi një shembull, jo vetëm në Kosovë, por edhe në rajon, për organizim të mirëfilltë, Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport of the Republic of Kosovo 2012-04-20 (in Albanian)
- "IOC OFFICIALLY WELCOME NOC OF KOSOVO TO THE OLYMPIC FAMILY". The European Olympics Committees. 9 December 2014. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- "Kosovo becomes 50th member of Tennis Europe". 28 March 2015. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- "Football Federation of Kosovo joins UEFA". uefa.org. 3 May 2016. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- http://www.europeankaratefederation.net/styles. Missing or empty
- "Kosovo Judo Federation - Memberstate of the European Judo Union". www.eju.net. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- "Kosovo Gymnastic Federation admitted to the European Union of Gymnastics". Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Republic of Kosovo. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- "Lajm i madh për volejbollin kosovar". Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- "ESC - ESC Members". www.esc-shooting.org. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- "Kosovo Swimming Federation – LEN.eu | Ligue Européenne de Natation". www.len.eu. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- "Kosovo « ECU". www.europechess.org. Retrieved 2017-03-22.