Type of site
|Technology news and analysis|
|Headquarters||Cape Town, South Africa|
|Owner||Burn Media Group|
|Created by||Matthew Buckland|
|Launched||April 1, 2010|
Memeburn is a website that focuses on digital news and events in the emerging markets sphere. Founded by South African entrepreneur Matthew Buckland, the Cape Town-based website focuses on current events in the world of social media, mobile and general technology, and has featured interviews with the likes of WordPress creator and CEO Matt Mullenweg, Foursquare founder Dennis Crowley, Evernote CEO Phil Libin, the co-creator of Google Now and entrepreneur Richard Branson as well Naspers CEO Koos Bekker, Wired founder Chris Anderson and Stumbleupon CEO Mark Bartels. It is particularly interested in the BRICS, as well as digital innovation, viral online marketing campaigns and general tech trends.
In 2011, Memeburn expanded to launch Gearburn.com, a sister site which is focused on gadget and game reviews and news and Motorburn.com, which focuses on car news. In 2012, Ventureburn.com was created to focus on entrepreneurship and startups. The sites were rebranded collectively in 2013 as Burn Media.
In 2019, the sites underwent a redesign, with the Memeburn, Gearburn, and Motorburn sites operating under the Memeburn.com domain. Ventureburn.com continues to operate as a sister site. Both brands -- Memeburn and Ventureburn -- operate under the Burn Media Group brand.
In 2010, Memeburn was awarded the UCT Graduate School of Business' Best Blog award at the South African Blog Awards, and later won a bronze award for Specialist Publisher Site at the Bookmark Awards.
- "About" Accessed 8 July 2013
- Matthew Buckland
- "Memeburn Archived 2013-07-08 at archive.today" Accessed 8 July 2013
- "The Future of WordPress: Q&A with Founder Matt Mullenweg" Accessed 8 July 2013
- "The evolution of Foursquare: Memeburn talks to Dennis Crowley" Accessed 8 July 2013
- "Priests on Evernote and dinner party productivity: chat with the app's CEO" Accessed 8 July 2013
- "From a 20% project to Google's future: Q&A with Google Now's co-creator" Accessed 8 July 2013
- "Richard Branson on open source, Twitter and entrepreneurship: the Memeburn interview" Accessed 8 July 2013
- "Losing 80 million without blinking: Koos Bekker's Memeburn Q&A" Accessed 8 July 2013
- "The blog is dead long live the blog: Chris Anderson on the future of media" Accessed 8 July 2013
- "Personalisation and social discovery: Q&A with StumbleUpon's CEO" Accessed 8 July 2013
- Digital Media and Marketing Association: "Memeburn" Accessed 8 July 2013
- "New Burn Media division incorporating Memeburn.com" Bizcommunity.com. Accessed 8 July 2013.
- "New website designs for Ventureburn and Memeburn". Retrieved 11 June 2021.
- "New website designs for Ventureburn and Memeburn".
- "Cobus Heyl announced as director, chief product officer of Burn Media". www.bizcommunity.com. Retrieved 2021-06-11.
- "Winners" South African Blog Awards. Accessed 8 July 2013.
- "Winners Archived 2013-06-25 at the Wayback Machine". The Bookmarks Awards. Accessed 8 July 2013.