Memoirs of a Sinner
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Memoirs of a Sinner|
|Directed by||Wojciech Jerzy Has|
|Written by||Michal Komar|
|Based on||The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner
by James Hogg
|Music by||Jerzy Maksymiuk|
|Edited by||Barbara Lewandowska-Conio and Wanda Zeman|
|Distributed by||Zespol Filmowy "Rondo"|
Memoirs of a Sinner (Polish: Osobisty pamiętnik grzesznika przez niego samego spisany) is a 1986 Polish film directed by Wojciech Jerzy Has, starring Piotr Bajor. The film is an adaptation of The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner (1824) and tells the tale of the protagonist Robert and his doppelganger.
Robert (Piotr Bajor) is exhumed from the grave by a gang of grave robbers and is forced to recount his lifestory - a struggle between good and evil, embodied in his doppelganger whom he eventually kills.
- Piotr Bajor as Robert
- Maciej Kozlowski as Stranger
- Janusz Michalowski as Pastor
- Hanna Stankówna as Rabina
- Ewa Wiśniewska as Laura
- Franciszek Pieczka as Logan
- Anna Dymna as Dominika
- Katarzyna Figura as Cyntia
- Jan Jankowski as Gustaw
- Jan Pawel Kruk as Guard
- Andrzej Krukowski
- Zdzislaw Kuzniar
- Zofia Merle
- Jerzy Zygmunt Nowak as Samuel
- Elwira Romanczuk as Malgorzata
The film was released on 20 October 1986. Jerzy Maksymiuk's score won the award for Best Score at the 1986 Polish Film Festival.
The critical perspective
Has maintains the strangeness central to the novel, although he tends to focus on the creation of unease, intrique and beautiful images rather than Hogg's satire on Calvinist predestination.
- Osobisty Pamietnik Grzesznika Przez Niego Samego Spisany (1986) New York Times Movies
- Osobisty pamiętnik grzesznika przez niego samego spisany filmpolski.pl
- Cairns, David (14 November 2013) The Forgotten: Both of Me MUBI.com Notebook