This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The ancestors of present-day Memons who settled a few centuries ago in various parts of the districts of India, particularly Kathiawar (now Saurashtra), commonly identified as simply Memons i.e.Vasavadi, Kodinar, Bantva, Dhoraji, Halari, Jamnagar, Jetpur, Gondal, Kutyyana, Manavadar sardagadh, Okhai, Upleta, Vanthali, Verawal Patan. Kathiawadi Memons are further divided into sub-group which is generally refer to their ancestral village or town such as Jetpur Memons, Kodinar Memons, Bantva Memons, Dhoraji Memons, Vasavad Memons
The language of Kathiawadi Memons is Memon, sometimes called Memoni.
The South African Memon community is largely descended from Memons who emigrated from Kathiawar in the early twentieth century.
- Prof. Abdul Gaffar Billoo – Pediatric endocrinologist and philanthropist.
- Abdul Sattar Edhi – Founder of the Edhi Foundation.
- Iqbal Qasim – Former cricketer.
- Sir Iqbal Sacranie – Honoured as an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1999, and Knighted by the Queen in 2005.
- Salim mohammedyakub Suriya ( business in Sydney)
- Farooq Sattar