Memorial High School (Millville, New Jersey)
|Memorial High School|
|504 East Broad Street
Millville, NJ 08332
|Type||public high school|
|School district||Millville Public Schools|
|Vice principals||Scott Godfrey
|Enrollment||701 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.4:1|
Memorial High School is a comprehensive public high school in Millville in Cumberland County, New Jersey, United States, operated as part of the Millville Public Schools. The school was built in 1925 and used as the Millville High School from 1925-1964 until the Millville Senior High School was built. Currently it is being used as a Junior High School to house the ninth grade and half of the tenth grade.
Students from Woodbine attend the district's high schools as part of a sending/receiving relationship. Maurice River Township students also attend the district's high schools, as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Maurice River Township School District. Commercial Township and Lawrence Township also send students to the district's high schools; The four sending districts filed suit in 2009, challenging the way in which the Millville district charges for students from outside the district to attend the school.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 701 students and 52.5 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 13.4:1. There were 372 students (53.1% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 73 (10.4% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The school is a memorial to those who lost their lives in World War I. Millville High School is the home of the Millville Thunderbolts.
As part of a $110 million expansion project overseen by the New Jersey Schools Development Authority and scheduled to start in 2017, the school's capacity will be doubled to accommodate up to 2,300 students, allowing all freshmen and sophomore classes that had been at Memorial High School to be consolidated at the Senior High School building.
The principal is Stephanie DeRose.
- School data for Millville High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Campbell, Al. "Woodbine School Proposes Consolidation with Middle Schools", Cape May County Herald, February 27, 2008. Accessed March 29, 2011. "One key factor, said Kopakowski, is Woodbine's sending-receiving relationship with Millville School District. That Cumberland County district, with about 6,400 pupils K-12 has long educated Woodbine's high school students."
- Maurice River Township Elementary School, Maurice River Township School District. Accessed March 29, 2011. "The Maurice River Township School District consists of one elementary school and is a sending district to the Millville School District for its high school students.... Maurice River Township transports approximately 180 students to the Memorial and Senior High Schools in Millville."
- Jones, Jean. "Sending districts Maurice River, Commercial, Lawrence, Woodbine suing Millville School District over tuition rates", The News of Cumberland County, April 13, 2009. Accessed March 29, 2011. "The suit, filed in the state Administrative Law Court, asks the commissioner of education to resolve a dispute about the method which the Millville school district is using to estimate and audit tuition for four sending districts. The four districts, Maurice River, Commercial, Lawrence and Woodbine, have joined in the suit with Maurice River as the lead agency."
- Smith, Joseph P. "Millville planners get look at high school expansion", The Daily Journal (New Jersey), March 15, 2016. "Schematic designs submitted to New Jersey for a proposed $110 million Millville Senior High School expansion were laid out before city planners Monday night.... On completion, the district will be able to consolidate at the senior high all freshman classes and those sophomore classes now in Memorial High School.... Additional space will allow the student population to increase from 1,200 now, approximately, to about 2,300."
- Principal, Memorial High School. Accessed November 20, 2014.
- Memorial High School web pages
- Millville Public Schools
- Millville Public Schools's 2014–15 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Millville Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics