Memorial High School (St. Marys, Ohio)
|Memorial High School|
Memorial High School logo
|2250 State Route 66
St. Marys, Ohio, (Auglaize County) 45885
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Western Buckeye League|
|Athletic Director||Jim Hollman|
Memorial High School is a public high school in St. Marys, Ohio. It is the only high school in the St. Marys City School District. Memorial High School was designated "Excellent" (the highest designation given) by the Ohio Department of Education in the most recent (2007/08) ODE report card. The nickname of their athletic teams is the Roughriders. They are a member of the Western Buckeye League. Although the official name of the high school is Memorial, local media generally refers to the school's athletic teams as the St. Marys Roughriders. The school's colors are royal blue and gold.
On November 7, 2007 St. Marys City School voters passed a bond issue for construction of a new high school. The building, built for the 2010-2011 school year, is a 9th grade through 12th grade complex.
Ohio High School Athletic Association Team State Championships
OHSAA Team State Runner-Up
- Boys Football - 2004
- Girls Softball - 2007
OHSAA Team State Final Four
- Boys Football - 1977, 1978
- Girls Soccer - 2009
- Girls Softball - 1981, 2007
- Boys Basketball - 1993
- Girls Volleyball - 1998
Notable alumni and faculty
- Galen Cisco (Class of 1954) - Former Major League Baseball pitcher (New York Mets, Boston Red Sox, Kansas City Royals) and coach. Pitching coach for World Series Champion Toronto Blue Jays in 1992-93. Galen Cisco was also co-captain and fullback for Ohio State's 1957 national collegiate football champs.
- Floyd A. Keith (Class of 1965) - Executive Director, Black Coaches & Administrators from 2001 until present. Coached collegiate football for 30 years. Coach Keith was an assistant football coach at Miami University (1970-1973), University of Colorado (1974-1978), University of Arizona (1983) and Indiana University (1984-1992). He was the head football coach at Howard University (1979-1982) and University of Rhode Island (1993-1999).
- Eugene “Skip” Baughman (Head Football Coach, 1958–1993) - Skip compiled a 271-95-7 record during his 36-year tenure at St. Marys. Combined with 13 wins while head coach at Hardin Northern, Coach Baughman has 284 career wins, which is the 10th highest total in Ohio High School football history. Inducted into Ohio High School Football Coaches Association's Hall of Fame in 1993. The football stadium is named "Skip Baughman Field" after their long-time coach.
Spencer Knous 195pound State Wrestling Champion.
Notes and references
- "Faculty and Staff". Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- Ohio Department of Education. "St. Marys Memorial High School Report Card" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-10-04.
- Fanning/Howey Associates, Inc. "St. Marys City Schools Overall Master Project Schedule" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- MHS Website. "St. Marys Roughrider Sports". Retrieved 2007-06-24.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Football". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- Ridertown.com. "Galen Cisco Award". Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Football Records". Retrieved 2007-07-28.
- OHSFCA. "Ohio High School Football Coaches Association". Retrieved 2007-07-28.