Memorial Park, Colorado Springs
Memorial Park or Memorial Community Park is a community park in Colorado Springs, Colorado. It has a wide range of sports facilities, including an indoor and outdoor pool, a recreation center, trails and Prospect Lake.
Colorado and the Rocky Mountain region's largest balloon festival has been held on Labor Day weekend at Memorial Park since 1977.
General William Jackson Palmer donated land with Prospect Lake to establish the park, along with other Colorado Springs parks, such as Monument Valley Park, North Cheyenne Cañon, Palmer Park, Pioneer Square (South) Park, and Bear Creek Cañon Park. He donated a total of 1,270 acres of land.
Memorial Park, located at 1605 E. Pikes Peak Avenue, has 3 baseball and softball fields, basketball court, boating, exercise course, fishing, football field, horseshoe pits, in-line hockey court, mountain biking, playground, 15 football and soccer fields, swimming pool, 12 tennis courts, bicycle racing track, roller skate racing track and volleyball court facilities. There is public ice skating and skating lessons at the Mark "Pa" Sertich Ice Center. There is a 1.25 fitness trail, a 2.2 mile perimeter trail, and a .6 mile criterium trail within the park. Around the park are two 5K trails. It also has picnic tables and a picnic shelter. The park is handicapped / ADA accessible, including a wheelchair accessible fishing dock and an ADA accessible playground. The park sits on 196 acres. It is best accessed from South Union Boulevard.
There are vending machines, public telephones, restrooms and concession stands at the park.
Swimming, boating and fishing can be enjoyed at Prospect Lake. A bathhouse is located near the beach for swimming. There are two fishing areas and one wheelchair accessible fishing dock.
There is a 1.25 fitness trail at Prospect Lake.
Memorial Park Recreation Center
The YMCA operates the city-owned Memorial Park Recreation Center. It is included in a YMCA membership and is open to the public. Facilities include workout equipment and lap swims during pool hours. Brunch breaks are held the second Wednesday of each month from 10 to noon for members and patrons.
The Memorial Park Recreation Center's 25-yard indoor pool offers free swim and swim lessons year-around, except holidays. There are locker rooms, showers, and a hot tub. YMCA conducts CPR and lifeguard classes there. It is available for after-hours rentals.
Healthy Living Center
The Healthy Living Center has free weights, elliptical machines, treadmills, weight machines, recumbent bikes, medicine balls and bands for physical fitness training. It is open to people 14 years of age and older.
Silver Sneakers group exercise
Classes for seniors include aqua fitness classes and a Muscular Strength and Range of Movement class.
Mind, Exercise, Nutrition, Do It!
The Mind, Exercise, Nutrition, Do It! (MEND) 10-week program for 7- to 13-year-old children starts in June.
Outdoor swimming pool
The swimming pool is open 7 days a week in the summer, starting the day after Memorial Day. It is located at 280 South Union. In a large grassy area nearby are picnic tables.
Three pavilions, that accommodates 50 people each, are located in the southwest section of the park, near Costilla Street and Hancock Avenue. Tennis courts, basketball courts, there is one playground at the pavilion site and three additional playgrounds, and play fields are near the pavilion or in the park. Prospect Lake is encircled by a jogging trail. Amenities include access to a grill at each pavilion and restrooms are available during the summer with reservations. There is no electricity.
Events at the park include:
- May: Free Tennis Play Day
- June: Springs Spree, Springs Spree 5K and 1K Family Fun Run, Pikes Peak Celtic Festival
- August: Rocky Mountain Rampage International Skateboarding Competition, USA Triathlon Youth Splash & Dash
- September: Colorado Balloon Classic
- "Colorado Balloon Classic". Colorado Balloon Classic. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- "Parks, Trails and Open Spaces". City of Colorado Springs. Retrieved May 23, 2013.
- "Community Parks" (PDF). City of Colorado Springs. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- "Memorial Park map" (PDF). City of Colorado Springs. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- "Community Parks". City of Colorado Springs. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- "Memorial Park, Colorado Springs". PeakRadar. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- "Memorial Park Recreation Center". Pikes Peak YMCA. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- "Mind, Exercise, Nutrition, Do It! (MEND)". Pikes Peak YMCA. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- "Memorial Park Pool". Pikes Peak YMCA. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- "Pavilions, Reservations and Permits: Park Reservation Areas". City of Colorado Springs. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- "Pavilion and Wedding Reservation Guide" (PDF). City of Colorado Springs. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- "Colorado Springs Memorial Park events". The Gazette. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- "Colorado Springs Tennis - FREE Kids Tennis Play Days!". Colorado Springs Tennis. Retrieved May 25, 2013.