Memories (Elvis Presley song)
|Single by Elvis Presley|
|from the album Elvis|
|Recorded||June 24, 1968 at Western Recorders, Burbank, California|
|Songwriter(s)||Billy Strange, Mac Davis|
|Elvis Presley singles chronology|
|"Memories" (цith the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, 2016)|
"Memories" is a 1968 song originally recorded by Elvis Presley.
It was written by Billy Strange and Mac Davis specially for Presley to perform on Elvis, his comeback TV special that would air on NBC on December 3, 1968. Later Mac Davis recalled to Billboard: "They had asked for a song about looking back over the years, and oddly enough, I had to write it in one night. I stayed up all night at Billy Strange's house in Los Angeles. He had a little office set up in his garage. I wrote it right there."
The song is also included on the album Elvis, the soundtrack album for the NBC TV special at which it was first performed. For the TV show itself the song was recorded live, but the album features a studio version recorded on June 24.
The book Rock Song Index: The 7500 Most Important Songs for the Rock and Roll Era calls the song "Memories" the "hallmark of [Elvis'] later (fat Elvis) period".
|US Billboard Hot 100||35|
On December 1, 1970 the single was re-released as part of RCA Victor's Gold Standard Series (together with 9 other Presley's singles).
- Gillian G. Gaar (1 March 2011). Return of the King: Elvis Presley's Great Comeback. ReadHowYouWant.com. pp. 62–. ISBN 978-1-4587-3190-6.
- Bruce Pollock (18 March 2014). Rock Song Index: The 7500 Most Important Songs for the Rock and Roll Era. Routledge. pp. 239–. ISBN 978-1-135-46296-3.
- "Memories by Elvis Presley Songfacts". Songfacts.com. Songfacts, LLC. Retrieved 2016-12-14.
- Harris M. Lentz III (24 April 2013). Obituaries in the Performing Arts, 2012. McFarland. pp. 276–. ISBN 978-0-7864-7063-1.
- "Elvis Presley - Charro / Memories at Discogs". Retrieved 2016-12-14.
- David F. Lonergan (2005). Hit Records, 1950-1975. Scarecrow Press. pp. 146–. ISBN 978-0-8108-5129-0.
- "Elvis Presley - Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-12-14.
- Nielsen Business Media, Inc. (9 January 1971). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. pp. 36–. ISSN 0006-2510.