Memories with Maya
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Media type||Paperback, ebook|
Memories with Maya is a hard science fiction novel by the author Clyde Dsouza. It has been received well by the transhumanism and the science community. The novel looks at how augmented reality and AI will merge to augment human beings in ways that will affect emotions, intimate human relationships, and our evolution as a species.
The story is a first person narrative told through the eyes of protagonist Daniel (Dan). Dan lives life on his own terms, convinced that he can hack his destiny through the use of technology to better his condition. He believes that prayer is panacea for the weak and he can steer the course of his life through the use of logic, technology and science.
With his close friend Krish, they merge artificial intelligence and augmented reality technology to create the Wizer, a wearable visor much like Google Glass but powered by artificial general intelligence. The Wizer plays a key role in advancing the story and has uses in entertainment, sports, and even cyber sex via Dirrogates (a portmanteau of the words Digital and Surrogate, invented by the author)
Mid way through the story a dark side of Wizer technology and augmented reality comes to the front, with a major tragedy occurring in a nightclub. It changes the course of Dan and Krish's life. Dan experiences a loss that challenges him in no uncertain terms to prove he is capable of hacking his destiny. He faces internal turmoil, battling moral and ethical issues to emerge a transhuman, both in mind and body.
A writer for the IEET wrote an essay titled: Till Death do us part - The ethics and evolution of human relationships that interprets the reach of the technology described in the book and its effect on human relationships, even after death.
- "book review | Memories with Maya". KurzweilAI. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "In Memories with Maya, human sexuality gets an upgrade". Io9.com. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Review - Memories With Maya by Clyde DeSouza". Hard SF. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies: Publications". Ieet.org. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Book review – Memories with Maya | Ted Howard NZ's Blog". Tedhowardnz.wordpress.com. 2013-06-09. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Till Death do us part - The ethics and evolution of human relationships". Ieet.org. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- Dirrogate.com, the novel's website