Memory of Water
|Original title||Teemestarin kirja|
Memory of Water (Finnish: Teemestarin kirja, "The Tea Master's Book") is the debut novel by Finnish author Emmi Itäranta, published in 2014 by HarperCollins. The Finnish version of the novel, which Itäranta wrote simultaneously along with the English one, was published in Finland in 2013 by the publishing house Teos. Set in a dystopian future where fresh water is scarce, it tells the story of Noria, a young tea master's apprentice, who must come to terms with a great secret and even greater responsibility that follows this knowledge.
The Finnish manuscript won the Fantasy and Sci-Fi Literary Fiction contest organised by Teos in 2012 and was subsequently published. The book won the Kalevi Jäntti Award in 2012, and the Nuori Aleksis Award in 2013. It was also shortlisted for the 2013 Tähtivaeltaja Award.
The English language version of the book has been featured on several shortlists in both the US and the UK - the Philip K. Dick Award, Compton Crook Award, Golden Tentacle Award and Arthur C. Clarke Award. The novel also appeared on the 2014 James Tiptree, Jr. Award Honor List.
- Buxton, Charlotta. "How to write a novel in two languages – a writing interview with Emmi Itäranta". Londonlotta. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- Farmar, Katherine. "Memory of Water by Emmi Itäranta". Strange Horizons. Archived from the original on 5 March 2015. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- Stenger, Wif. "Finnish dystopian debut stirs literary interest in US". YLE News. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- "2014 Philip K. Dick Award Nominees Announced". Philip K. Dick Award. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- "The Compton Crook Award". Baltimore Science Fiction Society. Baltimore Science Fiction Society. Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- "The Kitschies: The Golden Tentacle". Kitschies. Archived from the original on 1 March 2014. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "2015 Shortlist Announced". The Arthur C. Clarke Award. Serendip. Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- Gallo, Irene. "Announcing the 2014 James Tiptree Jr. Award Honors". Tor.com. Tor.com. Retrieved 10 April 2015.