Memory of the World Register – International Organizations
The first inscriptions on the UNESCO Memory of the World Register were made in 1997. By creating a compendium of the world’s documentary heritage—manuscripts, oral traditions, audio-visual materials, library and archive holdings—the program aims to tap on its networks of experts to exchange information and raise resources for the preservation, digitization, and dissemination of documentary materials. As of 2013, 193 documentary heritages have been included in the Register, among them recordings of folk music, ancient languages and phonetics, aged remnants of religious and secular manuscripts, collective lifetime works of renowned giants of literature, science and music, copies of landmark motion pictures and short films, and accounts documenting changes in the world’s political, economic and social stage. Of these, three properties were nominated by international organizations.
List by international organization
|International organization||Documentary heritage[A]||Year
|International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)||Archives of the International Prisoners of War Agency, 1914-1923||2007||International Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum, Geneva|||
|International Tracing Service (ITS)||Archives of the International Tracing Service||2013||archives of the International Tracing Service, Bad Arolsen|||
|United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG)||League of Nations Archives 1919-1946||2009||United Nations Office at Geneva, Geneva|||
|United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA)||UNRWA Photo and Film Archives of Palestinian Refugees||2009||The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East Public Information Office, Jerusalem|||
^ A. Names and spellings provided are based on the official list released by the Memory of the World Programme.
- "Third Meeting of the International Advisory Committee of the Memory of the World Programme". UNESCO Memory of the World Programme. Retrieved 2009-09-06.[permanent dead link]
- "UNESCO MEMORY OF THE WORLD PROGRAMME: The Asia-Pacific Strategy". UNESCO Memory of the World Programme. 1999-04-17. Archived from the original on 2005-02-28. Retrieved 2004-10-21.
- "Twenty-three new inscriptions on Memory of the World Register of Documentary Collections". UNESCO Press. 2003-09-01. Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- "Archives of the International Prisoners of War Agency, 1914-1923". UNESCO Memory of the World Programme. Retrieved 2009-09-07.[permanent dead link]
- "Archives of the International Tracing Service". UNESCO Memory of the World Programme. Retrieved 2013-08-05.
- "League of Nations Archives 1919-1946". UNESCO Memory of the World Programme. Retrieved 2009-09-07.[permanent dead link]
- "UNRWA Photo and Film Archives of Palestinian Refugees". UNESCO Memory of the World Programme. Retrieved 2009-09-07.