US 31 in Memphis, Indiana
Location of Memphis in Clark County, Indiana.
|• Total||2.5 sq mi (6.5 km2)|
|• Land||2.5 sq mi (6.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||486 ft (148 m)|
|• Density||160.1/sq mi (61.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1851803|
2012 tornado outbreak
Memphis is located at (38.487110, -85.764223).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.5 square miles (6.5 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 400 people, 157 households, and 121 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 160.1 people per square mile (61.8/km²). There were 168 housing units at an average density of 67.2/sq mi (25.9/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 98.50% White, 0.50% Native American, 0.25% Pacific Islander, and 0.75% from two or more races.
There were 157 households out of which 29.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.7% were married couples living together, 14.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.3% were non-families. 19.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 2.89.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 23.0% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 28.0% from 25 to 44, 26.8% from 45 to 64, and 13.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 86.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.8 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $35,658, and the median income for a family was $41,528. Males had a median income of $31,250 versus $24,688 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $20,054. About 5.9% of families and 5.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under the age of eighteen or sixty-five or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Clark County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 215. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...and probably named for Memphis, Tennessee, since early settlers came from that area.
- "Volunteers from around the world working in Memphis, Ind". WHAS11.com. March 9, 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
Nearly 15 homes on Broadway were damaged along with barns and trees.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.