Men-of-War: Life in Nelson's Navy
First American Edition 1995
|Subject||Life in the eighteenth-century Royal Navy|
|Publisher||W. W. Norton & Company|
Men-of-War: Life in Nelson's Navy by Patrick O'Brian is a short, small-format 12.7 cm × 17.6 cm × 0.8 cm (5.00 in × 6.93 in × 0.31 in), concise, well illustrated introduction to life aboard the ships of the Royal Navy during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries; the period in which the author's acclaimed Aubrey–Maturin series of novels is set.
The book received mixed reviews with some considering its conciseness a virtue, particularly for a younger audience, while others felt it was lightweight and an attempt to cash in on the author's reputation.
- First published in hardcover in the UK in 1974.
- First paperback US edition published by W. W. Norton & Company in 1995.
- An audiobook was published by ISIS Audiobooks in 2007, combined with the last book in the Aubrey–Maturin series; The Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey.
- "Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Men-of-War: Life in Nelson's Navy". amazon.com.
- "Men-of-War: Life in Nelson's Navy". google.co.uk.
- Men-of-war: Life in Nelson's Navy at HistoricNavalFiction.com