Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead|
|Studio album by Vivian Stanshall|
Warner Bros. Records (1974)|
Harkit Records (2010)
Poppydisc Records (2012)
|Producer||John Darnley, Vivian Stanshall|
|Vivian Stanshall chronology|
Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead is the 1974 debut solo album by British musician, writer and comedian Vivian Stanshall.
In 2010, an unauthorized CD reissue was made available by Harkit Records. The CD featured notes by Dutch dada-ist Freek Kinkelaar and featured two bonus tracks not on the original LP: "Baba Tunde" and "Lakonga". This edition is a sourced from a vinyl copy and is a "bootleg" not authorized by the Stanshall estate. The bonus tracks come from a rare 1974 single.
Poppydisc Records released a remastered edition, on LP and CD, on 21 May 2012. These are the first re-issues to be authorized by the artist's estate. The remastered CD contains the two bonus tracks, while the vinyl version is the same as the original vinyl LP.
All songs written and arranged by Vivian Stanshall, except where noted:
- "Afoju Ti Ole Riran (Dead Eyes)" (Vivian Stanshall, Gaspar Lawal)
- "Yelp, Bellow, Rasp Et Cetera"
- "How The Zebra Got His Spots"
- "Dwarf Succulents"
- "Bout of Sobriety"
- "Prong & Toots Go Steady"
- "Strange Tongues"
Bonus tracks on 2010 and 2012 CD reissues
- "Lakonga" (single A-side)
- "Baba Tunde" (single B-side)
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Vivian Stanshall - vocals, recorder, euphonium, ukulele, Chelonian pipes
- Anthony "Bubs" White - electric guitar
- Steve Winwood - bass guitar, organ
- Gasper Lawal - talking drums, congas, xylophone, drum kit ("How The Zebra Got His Spots")
- Neil Innes - piano, slide guitar, organ ("How The Zebra Got His Spots")
- Jim Capaldi - drum kit, lesser log
- Deryk Quinn - cabassa, Nigerian coffee tables, greater log
- Ric Grech - violin
- Rebop Kwaku Baah - congas ("Prong & Toots")
- Doris Troy, Madeline Bell, Barry St. John - backing vocals
- Ayus Ape, Gani, Gasper Lawal - male Yoruba chorus
- unidentified West Indian taxi driver - bass guitar ("Lakonga" and "Baba Tunde")
- unidentified West Indian taxi driver's friend - drum kit ("Lakonga" and "Baba Tunde")
- AllMusic review
- Irvin, Jim (November 2010). "Unsettle down now: Vivian Stanshall Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead". Mojo. p. 120.
- "Vivian Stanshall – Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead". Harkit Records. 2013. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Vivian Stanshall: Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead" at piccadillyrecords.com
- "Vivian Stanshall: Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead (Harkit Records)"
- "Vivian Stanshall: Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead (Poppydisc)"
- "Vivian Stanshall: Lakonga"
- Men Opening Umbrellas page on Ginger Geezer website