Men of Boys Town
|Men of Boys Town|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Norman Taurog|
|Produced by||John W. Considine Jr.|
|Screenplay by||James Kevin McGuinness|
|Music by||Herbert Stothart|
|Edited by||Frederick Y. Smith|
Men of Boys Town is a 1941 American drama film directed by Norman Taurog and written by James Kevin McGuinness. It is a sequel to the 1938 film Boys Town. The film stars Spencer Tracy, Mickey Rooney, Bobs Watson, Larry Nunn, Darryl Hickman and Henry O'Neill. The film was released on April 11, 1941, by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.
Mr. and Mrs. Maitland, a childless couple, invite Whitey to their home on a trial basis. Whitey tries to visit a friend in reform school and inmate Flip is hiding in a car as Whitey leaves. Flip steals money and both boys go to reform school. (This is where the movie takes a darker tone as it depicts, using indirect camera angles, the physical abuse the boys suffer in detention at the facility). Father Flanagan exposes the conditions in the school and the boys are released to him. The Maitlands work to pay off the debts threatening Boys Town.
- Spencer Tracy as Father Flanagan
- Mickey Rooney as Whitey Marsh
- Bobs Watson as Pee Wee
- Larry Nunn as Ted Martley
- Darryl Hickman as Flip
- Henry O'Neill as Mr. Maitland
- Mary Nash as Mrs. Maitland
- Lee J. Cobb as Dave Morris
- Sidney Miller as Mo Kahn
- Addison Richards as The Judge
- Lloyd Corrigan as Roger Gorton
- George Lessey as Bradford Stone
- Robert Emmett Keane as Burton
- Arthur Hohl as Guard
- Ben Welden as Superintendent
- Anne Revere as Mrs. Fenely
The film was a hit and became the ninth most popular film at the United States box office in 1941. According to MGM records the film earned $2,009,000 in the US and Canada and $1,157,000 elsewhere resulting in a profit of $1,269,000.
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study
- Crowther, Bosley (1941-04-11). "Movie Review - - THE SCREEN; Spencer Tracy and Mickey Rooney Seen in Familiar Roles in 'Men of Boys Town' at Capitol". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "Men of Boys Town (1941) - Overview". TCM.com. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- FILM MONEY-MAKERS SELECTED BY VARIETY: ' Sergeant York' Top Picture, Gary Cooper Leading Star New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 31 Dec 1941: 21.
|This 1940s drama film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|