Menas C. Kafatos
|Residence||Marina Del Rey, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (PhD)|
Cornell University (BA)
|Awards||Honorary Member, Romanian Academy of Sciences (2000), Rustum Roy Award, Chopra Foundation (2011), IEEE Orange County Chapter, Outstanding Leadership and Professional Service Award (2011)|
|Fields||Cosmology, Natural hazards, Climate change, Spirituality, Philosophy|
|Institutions||Chapman University, Center of Excellence in Earth Systems Modeling and Observations (CEESMO)|
|Influences||Niels Bohr, John von Neumann, Philip Morrison, Mihai Draganescu|
Menas C. Kafatos (Greek: Μηνάς Καφάτος; born 25 March 1945) is a Greek-born American physicist and a writer on spirituality and science. His publications include: The Nonlocal Universe and The Conscious Universe. Kafatos has written and lectured extensively promoting discourse between science, spirituality, and religion. He has held numerous positions at institutions including Chapman University, George Mason University, and NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.
Kafatos received his B.A. in Physics from Cornell University in 1967 and a Ph.D. in Physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1972. After postdoctoral work at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, he joined George Mason University and was University Professor of Interdisciplinary Sciences from 1984-2008, where he also served as Dean of the School of Computational Sciences and Director of the Center for Earth Observing and Space Research. He and a team of computational scientists joined Chapman University in the fall of 2008, where he was the Founding Dean of the Schmid College of Science and Technology serving as dean from 2009 – 2012. He currently is the director of the Center of Excellence in Earth Systems Modeling and Observations (CEESMO).
Kafatos has authored books including The Conscious Universe, The Non-local Universe (with Robert Nadeau, Springer-Verlag and Oxford University Press), Principles of Integrative Science (with Mihai Draganescu, Romanian Academy of Sciences Press), and more than 300 peer reviewed publications, cited by over 750 other articles.
Kafatos' peer-reviewed research has focused on cosmology, astrophysics, natural hazards, climate change, Earth system science, and remote sensing. Although he has written books around meta-physical interpretations of quantum phenomena he does not have substantial peer-reviewed work in quantum physics.
Notable scientific contributions include enhancements to synthetic tropical cyclone (hurricane) circulations used in forecast models, new perspectives on the self organization of the universe through the lens of complexity, a detailed look at the relationship between vegetation in the United States and El Niño/Southern Oscillation, and a better understanding of dust and aerosols over India.
Kafatos lives in Marina Del Rey, CA with his wife Susan Yang, a scientist in the fields of computational biology, experimental biology, and neuroscience. They met while working together at George Mason University. His brother, Fotis Kafatos, is a biologist and founder and Honorary President of the European Research Council (ERC). Kafatos has 3 children: Lefteris, Stefanos, and Alexios. He is the Chairman of the Board for the American Hellenic Council.
Awards and honors
- 1986 George Mason University Distinguished Faculty Award
- 2011 Chopra Foundation Spirit of Rustum Roy Award
- 2011 IEEE Orange County Chapter Outstanding Leadership and Professional Service Award
- 2000 Romanian Academy of Sciences Honorary Member
- 2013 National Observatory of Athens Affiliated Researcher
- 2013 Kyung Hee University International Scholar
- Nadeau, Robert; Kafatos, Menas (2001). The Non-Local Universe: The New Physics and Matters of the Mind. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-514408-6.
- Kafatos, Menas; Nadeau, Robert (2000). The Conscious Universe: Parts and Wholes in Physical Reality. Springer Verlag. ISBN 978-0387988658.
- Grandpierre, A., Kafatos, M. (2013) Genuine Biological Autonomy: How can the Spooky Finger of Mind Play on the Physical Keyboard of the Brain? Chapter 9, "An Anthology of Philosophical Studies" Vol. 7, P. Hanna (edit.), Athens Institute for Education and Research 2013, pp. 83–98 (Book Chapter)
- Sarafoglou, N., and Kafatos, M. (2013) Energy Production, Conversion, Transmission, and Distribution, Policy, Planning, and Mitigation Process-General Considerations: Infrastructure and Vilnerability Caused by Climate/00316, in "Climate Variability, 1st Edition: Understanding and Addressing Threats to Essential Resources", R. A. Pielke Sr. (edit. In chief), Elsevier, ISBN 9780123847034 (Book Chapter)
- Qu, J.J., Gao, W., Kafatos, M., Murphy, R.E., Salomonson, V.V. (edit.) Earth Science Satellite Remote Sensing: Science and Instruments Vol. I, & Data, Computational Processing, and Tools, Vol. II, Beijing, Tsinghua Univ. Press, Berlin, Springer-Verlag, (2006), ISBN 3-540-35606-1.
- Zhou, G., Baysal, O., Kafatos, M., and Yang, R. (edit.) Real-time Information Technology for Future Intelligent Earth Observing Satellites, Hierophantes: Pottstown, Pennsylvania, (2003), ISBN 0-9727940-0-X.
- You are The Universe by Deepak Chopra, Menas Kafatos (2017), Random House.
- Theise, ND; Kafatos, M (2013). "Complementarity in biological systems: a complexity view". Complexity. 18 (6): 11–20. Bibcode:2013Cmplx..18f..11T. doi:10.1002/cplx.21453.
- Grandpierre, A.; Chopra, D.; Doraiswamy, Tanzi; Murali, P.; Kafatos, M.C. (2013). "A Multidisciplinary Approach to Mind and Consciousness". NeuroQuantology. 11 (4): 607–617. doi:10.14704/nq.2013.11.4.703.
- Theise, N. D.; Kafatos, M. (2013). "Sentience Everywhere: Complexity Theory, Panpsychism & the Role of Sentience in Self-Organization of the Universe". Journal of Consciousness Exploration & Research. 4 (4): 378–390.
- Sarafoglou, N.; Kafatos, M.; Beall, J.H. (2012). "Simultaneity in the Scientific Enterprise". Studies in Sociology of Science. 3 (3): 20–30.
- El-Askary, H.; et al. (2013). "Kafatos, M., (2013) Annual Patterns of Atmospheric Pollutions and Episodes over Cairo Egypt". Advances in Meteorology. 2013: 984853. doi:10.1155/2013/984853.
- Jaswal, A. K.; Kumar, N.; Prasad, A. K.; Kafatos, M. (2013). "Decline in horizontal surface visibility over India (1961–2008) and its association with meteorological variables". Natural Hazards. 68 (2): 929–954. doi:10.1007/s11069-013-0666-2.
- Theise ND, Kafatos MC, Fundamental Awareness: A framework for integrating science, philosophy, and metaphysics. Commun Integr Biol. 2016 May-Jun; 9(3): e1155010 Published online 2016 May 12. doi = Download pdf
- Kafatos, Menas. "Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "Microsoft Academic Search". Menas Kafatos. Microsoft. Archived from the original on 2014-05-29. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- Ma, Yimin; Kafatos, Menas; Davidson, Noel E. (July 2012). "Surface pressure profiles, vortex structure and initialization for hurricane prediction. Part I: analysis of observed and synthetic structures". Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics. 117 (1–2): 5–23. Bibcode:2012MAP...117....5M. doi:10.1007/s00703-012-0190-z.
- Theise, N.D.; Kafatos, M. (2013). "Sentience Everywhere: Complexity Theory, Panpsychism & the Role of Sentience in Self-Organization of the Universe". Journal of Consciousness Exploration & Research. 4 (4): 378–390. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- Theise, N.D.; Kafatos, M. (2013). "Complementarity in biological systems: a complexity view". Complexity. 18 (6): 11–20. Bibcode:2013Cmplx..18f..11T. doi:10.1002/cplx.21453.
- Zuotao, Li; Kaftatos, Menas (2000). "Interannual Variability of Vegetation in the United States and Its Relation to El Niño/Southern Oscillation". Remote Sens. Environ. 71 (3): 239–247. Bibcode:2000RSEnv..71..239L. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.39.6376. doi:10.1016/S0034-4257(99)00034-6.
- Gautam, R; Hsu, NC; Lau, K.M.; Kafatos, M (September 2009). "Aerosol and rainfall variability over the Indian monsoon region: distributions, trends and coupling". Annales Geophysicae. 27 (9): 3691–3703. Bibcode:2009AnGeo..27.3691G. doi:10.5194/angeo-27-3691-2009.
- El-Askary, Hesham; Gautam, R.; R. P. Singh, R.P.; Kafatos, M.; Singh, R. P.; Kafatos, M. (2006). "Dust storms detection over the Indo-Gangetic basin using multi sensor data". Advances in Space Research. 37 (4): 728–733. Bibcode:2006AdSpR..37..728E. doi:10.1016/j.asr.2005.03.134.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- "You are The Universe" by Deepak Chopra, Menas Kafatos (2017), Random House.