(Redirected from Mendel (surname))
Mendel can be both a surname and given name. Mendel is a Yiddish variant and affectionate form of the Hebrew name Menachem and means "comforter". Sometimes, it is also used as an affectionate form of Immanuel.
Notable people with the name include:
- Mendel Jackson Davis (1942–2007), American attorney and politician from South Carolina
- Mendel Portugali (1888–1917), leading figures in Second Aliya and founder of the Hashomer movement
- Mendel Rosenblum (born 1962), American associate professor of computer science
- Mendel Sachs (1927–2012), American theoretical physicist and professor
- Mendel Shapiro, Jewish lawyer and Modern Orthodox Rabbi
- Mendel Weinbach (1933–2012), Orthodox rabbi
- Mendel Zaks (1898–1974), rabbi, Rosh Yeshiva in Raduń Yeshiva
- Andrei Mendel (born 1995), Russian football midfielder
- Arthur Mendel (1905–1979), American musicologist
- August Neander (1789–1850), German theologian (born David Mendel)
- Barry Mendel, American film producer
- Gérard Mendel (1930–2004), French psychoanalyst and psychiatrist
- Gregor Mendel (1822–1884), often called the "father of genetics"
- Henriette Mendel (1833–1891), German actress and mistress
- Lafayette Mendel (1872–1935), American biochemist
- Nate Mendel (born 1968), American musician
- Menachem Mendel
- Mendel (Hungarian family), a prominent Hungarian family that flourished in the 15th century.
|This page lists people with the surname Mendel. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|