Platform as a service
Agile Software Development
London, United Kingdom
Johannesburg, South Africa
|Derek Roos, CEO
Marcel Karssen, CFO
Johan den Haan, CTO
Kirby Wadsworth, CMO
Number of employees
|Approximately 150 (2013)|
Mendix is a digital transformation company which has developed a platform as a service product. The cloud-based platform allows users to build, integrate and deploy web and mobile applications. These applications can be built either from the ground up or as a layer on top of existing legacy systems.
Businesses across the world utilize Mendix for rapid application development. Customers include The Boston Globe, Dun & Bradstreet, KPN, LV= Insurance, NLE, and The University of Pennsylvania.
In October 2011, Mendix raised $13 million with its first round of venture capital funding. The funding was led by Prime Ventures, with additional participation from HENQ Invest, which provided an unnamed sum in 2006.
In January 2014, Mendix closed a $25 million Series B, led by Battery Ventures. According to company officials, the new funding will be used for continued global expansion, product development and sales efforts. The company also reported triple-digit growth for the fifth consecutive year.
In 2014, Mendix accelerated plans associated with its partner ecosystem. The company announced 20 new partners worldwide, including Bodhtree, UST Global, Pegamento and Pariveda Solutions. This list complements the company’s existing partner network, including Accenture, Capgemini, and others. Subsequent partner additions included Mphasis, Blue Box, Sogeti, HP and most recently, Pivotal.
The Pivotal partnership is part of the company’s strategy around Cloud Foundry. Mendix has also announced its membership in the Cloud Foundry Foundation. The company plans to help evolve the open source standard as well as integrate Cloud Foundry’s Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) framework with its rapid app platform-as-a-service (aPaaS).
Already established within the market, Mendix has received a number of accolades, most recently from Forbes – listing Mendix as one of the top ten companies disrupting industries through technology – and from Always On Network – including Mendix within the top 100 OnMobile Private Companies.
The Mendix application platform leverages a visual, model-driven software development approach and has been recognized as a leader in its sector. In December 2014, Mendix was cited as a “Leader” in the The Forrester Wave™: Enterprise Public Cloud Platforms for Rapid Developers, Q4 2014 report. Gartner also listed Mendix as a Visionary within its 2015 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Application Platforms as a Service.
The rapid app platform-as-a-service (aPaaS) offering prioritizes speed and agility and utilizes a “no code” principle. The use of visual models simplifies app creation and migration, and allows business users to more directly participate in the development of applications. The result is a significant reduction in time to market, allowing IT teams and business leaders to collaborate on building effective applications.
An independent benchmark performed by QSM Research found that Mendix outperforms projects built in a traditional environment, delivering on average six times higher productivity than the industry benchmark.
Starting with version 4 of their platform (which was released in the Spring of 2012), Mendix expanded product capabilities to include project management through the use of fully integrated social collaboration.
The company's free edition offers the Mendix application development tools to a wider audience ranging from individual developers to small teams to large companies. The company simultaneously announced their new cloud ecosystem allowing teams, business analysts and other partners to collaborate and innovate.
Most recently, Mendix announced major enhancements to the Mendix platform aimed at reducing the time, cost and effort for multi-channel app development and mobile application development. Features of the new mobile release include pre-defined Layouts for smartphone, tablet and desktop user interfaces.
The Mendix App Store also offers new widgets to access native device functions, such as contacts, camera, geolocation and bar code scanner for use even by staffers "with no technical knowledge." The company also released the Mendix Developer App to test mobile apps. With it, developers can scan a QR code to pair their target devices with their development environments to test native device functionality.
- Erin Kutz, “Five Facts about Mendix, Another Cloud Enterprise App Startup,” Xconomy, March 2012
- Todd R. Weiss, “Mendix helped the Globe build many long-wanted apps, quickly,” CITEworld, May 2014
- Curt Woodward, “Mendix Raises $25M to Expand Enterprise Software Platform,” Xconomy, January 2014
- , “KPN rapidly builds and future-proofs key application supporting its mobile networks,” VanillaPlus Magazine, October–November 2014
- Charles Orton-Jones, “Achieving Business Growth Using the Cloud,” Raconteur, October 2014
- PAN Communications, “Energy Supplier NLE Adopts the Mendix App Platform to Fuel Innovation,” BusinessWire, March 2014
- Dian Schaffhauser, “U Penn Nanofab Lab Quickly Erects Admin App on Public Cloud Platform,” Campus Technology, August 2014
- Leena Rao, “Mendix Helps Enterprises Streamline Application Deployment,” TechCrunch, April 2009
- Christopher Calnan, “Dutch software firm Mendix set to move to Cambridge,” Mass High Tech, December 2007
- Sean Ludwig, “Mendix grabs $13M to fuel fast enterprise app development,” VentureBeat, October 2011
- Natasha Lomas, "Mendix, An App-Builder Platform For The Enterprise, Closes $25M Series B Led By Battery Ventures," TechCrunch, January 2014
- , “Mendix Announces Expanded Partner Program, Strong Ecosystem Growth,” Reuters, July 2014
- , “Mphasis Partners with Mendix to Rapidly Turn Industry Knowledge into Innovative Solutions,” Yahoo! Finance, September 2014
- , “Blue Box Brings Rapid Application Development to Enterprise Cloud Foundry and OpenStack Deployments with Mendix,” Yahoo! Finance, December 2014
- Jess Lulka, “Sogeti Partners with Mendix for Cloud Application Delivery,” Desktop Engineering, October 2014
- Darryl K. Taft, “Mendix Teams with HP for No-Code Development on Helion,” eWeek, December 2014
- Ben Kepes, “Mendix and Pivotal Partner To Enable Easier Development,” Forbes, April 2015
- , “Mendix Joins New Cloud Foundry Foundation for Open PaaS,” Yahoo! Finance, December 2014
- Larry Myler, “Ten Companies That Are Disrupting Their Industries Through Technology,” Forbes, October 2014
- , “The 2014 OnMobile 100 Top Private Companies,” AlwaysOn, November 2014
- , “Mendix Private Vendor Watchlist Profile: Emerging Leader in Model-Driven PaaS,” MarketResearch.com, March 2014
- Reuters, “Mendix Named a Leader Among Enterprise Public Cloud Platforms for Rapid Developers by Independent Research Firm,” Reuters, December 2014
- Reuters, “Mendix Named a Visionary in Gartner 2015 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Application Platform as a Service, Worldwide,” Reuters, April 2015
- Erik Linask, “The New World of PaaS,” Cloud Computing Magazine, June 2014
- , “Mendix delivers figures to show it’s 6 times faster for application development,” Cloud Computing Intelligence, November 2014
- Josette Rigsby, “Mendix Brings Social Collaboration to Project Management,” CMSWire, May 2011
- Sara Castellanos, “Mendix launches free business app development software for startups, small teams,” The Boston Business Journal, April 2014
- Ian Barker, “New platform speeds up development of multi-platform enterprise apps,” Betanews, October 2014
- David Ramel, “Mendix App Platform Integrates with PhoneGap for Cross-Platform Mobile Development,” ADT Mag, October 2014