|Region of origin||China|
Meng (//, Chinese: 孟; pinyin: Mèng; Wade–Giles: Meng) is a Chinese surname. Meng is a shi surname or clan name (氏), as opposed to the xing (姓) category of surname. Meng is of the type of surname which was a member of the list of names denoting seniority within a certain family: in ancient usage, the characters of meng (孟), zhong (仲), shu (叔) and ji (季) were used to denote the first, second, third and fourth eldest sons in a family. These were sometimes adopted as surnames. Of these, Meng is the best known, being the surname of the philosopher Mencius.
People with the surname Meng
- Meng Ke (孟軻/孟轲), better known as Mencius (Meng Zi)
- Meng Haoran (孟浩然), a Tang Dynasty poet listed in the Mencius family genealogy
- Meng Jiao (孟郊), a Tang Dynasty poet, grandson of Meng Haoran
- Meng Jia (孟佳), a Chinese member of South Korean girl group Miss A.
- Grace Meng, Asian-American politician
- Jimmy Meng, Asian-American politician
- Meng Suping (孟苏平), Chinese weightlifter
- Meng Fei (host) (孟非), host of popular Chinese TV show If You Are the One (game show)
|This page lists people with the surname Meng. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|
|This surname-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|