Menlo-Atherton High School
|Menlo-Atherton High School|
|555 Middlefield Road
Atherton, California 94027
|School district||Sequoia Union High School District|
|Newspaper||The MArk and Chronicle|
Menlo-Atherton High School (known as M-A to locals) is a four-year public comprehensive secondary school located in Atherton, California. Menlo-Atherton is part of the Sequoia Union High School District.
Menlo-Atherton has been named one of the top secondary schools in the nation by the United States Department of Education as part of its National School Recognition Program. It was selected as a California Distinguished School by the California Department of Education in 2007 and 2013. In 2005, Newsweek ranked the school as the 259th best school in the United States. Menlo-Atherton also offers the most Advanced Placement courses in the district with seventeen, ranging from Studio Art to US History.
Since the closure of Ravenswood High School, Menlo-Atherton has been racially diverse, drawing from Atherton, Menlo Park, Redwood City, East Palo Alto, and Portola Valley. The school's motto is "Strength in Diversity".
M-A offers the following Advanced Placement courses: Art History; Biology; Calculus AB/BC; Computer Science; English Language/Composition; English Literature; Environmental Science; European History; French Language; Latin; Physics; Spanish Language; Spanish Literature (approximately every other year); Statistics; Studio Art; and US History. M-A has an 84% pass rate on AP exams, with just under 40% scoring a 5. It also has the Advanced Via Individual Determination program and the Computer Academy, programs for students seeking a smaller, supportive learning environment.
- 2,275 students: 1,201 Male (52.8%), 1,074 Female (47.2%)
|Hispanic||White||Asian||African American||Pacific Islander||Two or More Races||Filipino||American Indian||Not Reported|
|SAT Scores for 2014–2015 |
|Critical Reading Average||Math Average||Writing Average|
|2013 Academic Performance Index|
|2009 Base API ||2013 Growth API ||Growth in the API from 2009 to 2013|
Menlo-Atherton offers a wide array of varsity and junior varsity level sports, including wrestling, badminton, cheerleading, dance, golf, tennis, basketball, baseball, water polo, swimming, lacrosse, soccer, cross country running, track and field, softball, and volleyball. The student-run Ultimate frisbee team was founded in the fall of 2008. All athletics teams are supported by the Athletic Boosters, which holds the annual Big Bear Run, a five kilometer race through the surrounding neighborhood.
Menlo-Atherton is home to a professional-level 492-seat theater, the Menlo-Atherton Center for Performing Arts. It is home to the school play and musical; band, orchestra, guitar, and choir concerts; the Menlo-Atherton Student Film Festival; the Bear Arts Expo, a collaboration between all of M-A's arts classes; the Senior Fashion Show; and many other school events. It also hosts events related to the City of Menlo Park, which partially financed its construction, and is one of the Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra's regular venues.
The Advanced Jazz Ensemble regularly travels to festivals around the world, including the annual Reno Jazz Festival and the Montreux Jazz Festival. The band is supported by the Band Boosters.
The Center is home to Menlo-Atherton's chapter of the International Thespian Society. Currently, they produce a play and a musical each year.
Other extracurricular activities
A magazine, The Mark, is distributed to students at no cost and the online newspaper, The M-A Chronicle, is regularly updated with stories involving the school community. Both are 2015-16 NSPA Pacemaker winners.
- Chuck Bradley, American football player
- Greg Buckingham, Olympic Silver Medalist in swimming; brother of Lindsey
- Lindsey Buckingham, singer and guitarist with rock group Fleetwood Mac
- Cheryl Burke, Professional dancer on Dancing with the Stars
- Greg Camarillo, NFL wide receiver (Minnesota Vikings)
- Chris Dorst, Olympic Silver Medalist in Water Polo, Los Angeles 1984
- James Gaughran, Olympic Water Polo Athlete, Melbourne 1956
- Bob Melvin, current manager of the Oakland Athletics
- Jamila Reinhardt, current player on the USA Rugby women’s national team, named in the Eagles 2017 Women's Rugby World Cup squad.
- Stevie Nicks, singer with rock group Fleetwood Mac
- Elizabeth Osborn, Top-ranked Woman Equestrian Vaulter United States, 2008
- Dick Roth, Olympic Gold Medalist in swimming, Tokyo 1964, Olympic and World Record Holder 400IM
- Courtney Thorne-Smith, actress
- John Vesely, lead singer of Secondhand Serenade 
- Bob Weir, singer, guitarist and founding member of The Grateful Dead
- Steve Westly, Venture Capitalist, former California State Controller, 2006 gubernatorial candidate, and executive at eBay
- Richard L. Wright, political leader
- "Enrollment by Ethnicity for 2015–16: Menlo-Atherton High School". California Department of Education. Retrieved September 26, 2016.
- Chronicle Online
- About M-A
- School Profile
- 2007 Distinguished Middle and High Schools - California Distinguished Schools Program (CA Dept of Education)
- 2013 Distinguished Middle and High Schools - California Distinguished Schools Program (CA Dept of Education)
- The 1,200 Top U.S. Schools - Newsweek America's Best High Schools - MSNBC.com
- Reid column: M-A's success comes on and off the field - San Jose Mercury News
- "SAT Report - 2014-15 District Level Scores". California Department of Education. Retrieved September 26, 2016.
- "2009 Base API School Report – Menlo-Atherton High". California Department of Education Assessment, Accountability and Awards Division.
- "2013 Growth API School Report – Menlo-Atherton High". California Department of Education Analysis, Measurement, & Accountability Reporting Division.
- M-A Athletic Boosters
- Big Bear Run | M-A Boosters
- Death, Theft, Violence, and Catnip: The M-ASFF In Review
- Photos from M-A’s Art Expo
- Philharmonia Baroque | Venues
- M-A Band Boosters
- KCEA=89.1FM History
- "Menlo Atherton High School History Page 6". Menlo Atherton High School Alumni Association. Retrieved 2009-12-17.
- Hunt, Mary Ellen (2008-12-14). "Cheryl Burke: 'Dancing With the Stars' tour". SFGate.com. Retrieved 2010-12-26.
- "TEAM:Roster Greg Camarillo Profile - MiamiDolphins.com". Retrieved 2008-04-26.
First-team All-Peninsula Athletic League and All-San Mateo County as senior at Menlo-Atherton High School in Menlo Park, Calif
- Wise, Chad (17 July 2017). "Eagles announced for Women's Rugby World Cup 2017 in Ireland". USA Rugby. Retrieved 2017-09-20.
- "Women Eagles Name World Cup Squad". www.thisisamericanrugby.com. 17 July 2017. Retrieved 2017-09-20.
- "New caps in Women's Eagles World Cup squad". Americas Rugby News.com. 20 July 2017. Retrieved 2017-09-20.
- Wick, Carrie (July 2, 2008). "Three women with Woodside Vaulters head to world vaulting championships". The Almanac. Retrieved 2008-12-22.
- Bumiller, Elisabeth (August 13, 1999). "Teammate Collects Dollar Bills for Bradley". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-06-30.