This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Menna Elfyn FRSL (born 1952) is a Welsh poet, playwright, columnist, and editor, writing in Welsh. She has been widely commended and translated.
Elfyn has published ten volumes of poetry and a dozen more of children's books and anthologies. She has also written eight plays for the stage, six radio plays for the BBC, and two plays and several documentaries for television. She co-edited The Bloodaxe Book of Modern Welsh Poetry with John Rowlands, which won a Poetry Book Society recommendation. She has won numerous prizes for her work, including a Creative Arts prize to write a book on sleep.
When Elfyn issued her bilingual selected poems Eucalyptus, (Gwasg Gomer, 1995), Tony Conran described her as "the first Welsh poet in 1500 years to have her work known outside Wales." He gave similar praise to her second bilingual volume, Cell Angel (1996).
Her work has been translated into eighteen languages including Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and Lithuanian. She is Writing Director of Masters Programme in Creative Writing at Trinity University College, Carmarthen, and a Literary Fellow at Swansea University.
- Mwyara, Gwasg Gomer (1976) ISBN 9780850883695, OCLC 877136990
- Stafelloedd Aros, Gwasg Gomer (1978) ISBN 9780850886900, OCLC 877138151
- Tro’r Haul Arno, Gwasg Gomer (1981) ISBN 9780850887976, OCLC 16591556
- Mynd Lawr i’r Nefoedd, Gwasg Gomer (1985) ISBN 9780863832758, OCLC 14904018
- Aderyn Bach Mewn Llaw: cerddi 1976-90, Gwasg Gomer (1990) ISBN 9780863836671, OCLC 831354680
- Eucalyptus, Gwasg Gomer (1995)
- Cell Angel, Bloodaxe Books (1996)
- Cusan Dyn Dall/ Blind Man’s Kiss, Bloodaxe Books (2001)
- Perffaith Nam, Gwasg Gomer (2005) ISBN 9781843234562, OCLC 59352065
- Perffaith Nam. Perfect Blemish, Bloodaxe Books (2007) ISBN 9781852247799, OCLC 255911683
- Er dy fod , Gwasg Gomer 2007 (book for learners/learning a language)
- Red Lady of Paviland A project with composer Andrew Powell, Musical Director Craig Roberts and the Burry Port Town Band, the centrepiece of which will be Menna and Andrew's new work 'Y Dyn Unig' (The Lonely Man).
- Major Prize for Volume of Poetry (Stafelloedd Aros), Wrexham National Eisteddfod. (1977)
- Member of the Gorsedd for contribution to Welsh Literature. (1995)
- Poet Laureate for the Children of Wales (2002)
- Creative Wales Award (2008)
- Anima Istranza Foreign Prize for Poetry (2009)
- Arts Council Prize for 'Aderyn Bach mewn Llaw'
- Longlisted for book of the year, ' Cusan Dyn Dall/ Blind Man's Kiss