The town hall in Mennecy
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Xavier Dugoin|
|Area1||11.09 km2 (4.28 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||91386 / 91540|
|Elevation||42–97 m (138–318 ft)|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
It is 33km south-east of Paris and crossed by the Essonne river. Inhabitants of Mennecy are known as Menneçois.
Mennecy is 33 kilometers south east of Paris-Notre-Dame, point zero from roads of France, 8 kilometers south of Évry, 6 kilometers south west of Corbeil-Essonnes, 11 kilometers north east of La Ferté-Alais, 14 kilometers east of Arpajon, 15 kilometers south east of Montlhéry, 19 kilometers north of Milly-la-Forêt, 22 kilometers south east of Palaiseau, 25 kilometers north east of Étampes, 31 kilometers north east of Dourdan.
Famous people from the commune
Many famous people was born, lived or died in Mennecy:
- Louis François Anne de Neufville de Villeroy (1695-1766), aristocrat who founded the factory of Villeroy.
- Charles Symphorien Jacques (1724-1799), sculptor and faïencier worked there
- Joseph Jullien (1725-1774), painter on porcelain worked there
- Auguste Béhal (1859-1941), pharmacologist and chemist, he died there
- André Beaudin (1895-1979), artist painter was born there
- Jean-Jacques Robert (1924-2000), politician, and was mayor there.
- Xavier Dugoin (1947- ), politician, was mayor between 1989 and 2001, before being re-elected in 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mennecy.|
- Official website (French)
- Official blog (French)
- Mérimée database - Cultural heritage (French)
- Land use (IAURIF) (English)
|This Essonne geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|