Mental Health Providers Forum
|Motto||The leading voice representing voluntary sector mental health service providers across England|
|Legal status||registered charity|
The Mental Health Providers Forum (MHPF), based in London, is a registered charity[nb 1] and the representative body for voluntary sector mental health organisations in England, working nationally and regionally to influence practice and policy. It aims to improve the range and quality of mental health services by increasing the involvement of the voluntary sector in delivering them, working in partnership with the wider sector and government agencies. Specific projects include the promotion of innovation in the sector, evidencing best practice to achieve the best outcomes for individuals and supporting recovery.
MHPF leads a collaboration of voluntary mental health organisations including the Centre for Mental Health, National Survivor User Network for Mental Health (NSUN), the Mental Health Foundation, Mind and Rethink Mental Illness in the Strategic Partners Programme with the Department of Health, NHS England and Public Health England.
MHPF developed from meetings of the chief executives of the leading mental health charities, and was registered as a company in 2005. The membership of the Forum consists of voluntary sector organisations providing mental health services in England. The current Chief Executive (since April 2012) is Kathy Roberts, who has a background in health and social care and the voluntary and community sector. She succeeded Dr Ian McPherson, previously Director of the National Mental Health Development Unit. The first Chief Executive of the Forum was Judy Weleminsky who led the organisation from December 2005 to January 2011.
In 2008 MHPF, with Triangle Consulting, worked with service users and MHPF members to develop the Mental Health Recovery Star, which was recommended by the Department of Health New Horizons programme and has been developed for use in adult mental health services. The Recovery Star is a key-working tool that enables staff to support individuals they work with to understand their recovery and plot their progress. It is also an outcomes tool that enables organisations to measure and assess the effectiveness of the services they deliver. It is now being used by many mental health trusts in England.
MHPF has increased its work to bring the views of mental health service providers into national policy and strategy discussions, working closely with members to inform and implement the 2011 No health without mental health cross-government mental health strategy. An area of focus from 2014 has been housing provision for people with mental health needs. In September 2014 MHPF published a report outlining successful housing models and a national forum is now established.
- Improving Access to Psychological Therapies
- National Mental Health Development Unit
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services
Other UK mental health charities
- Centre for Mental Health
- Mental Health Foundation
- Rethink Mental Illness
- Richmond Fellowship
- Revolving Doors Agency
- Stand to Reason (charity)
- Together: Working for Well-being
- Turning Point (charity)
- "Accounts overview" (PDF). Annual review 2015. Mental Health Providers Forum. March 2015. p. 23. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- "MHPF staff" (PDF). Annual review 2015. Mental Health Providers Forum. March 2015. p. 26. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- "Meet the Team". Mental Health Providers Forum. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- "Kathy Roberts". Mental Health Providers Forum. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- Pati, Anita (30 November 2005). "Forum launched to assist work with mental health". Third Sector. London. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- "Working our way to better mental health: a framework for action" (PDF). HMSO. December 2009. ISBN 978-0-10-177562-5. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-01-28. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- "Mental Health Recovery Star". Outcomes Star. Triangle Consulting Social Enterprise Limited. Retrieved 5 April 2016.
- Dickens, G., Onifade, Y., Sugarman, P. and Weleminsky, J. (2012). "Recovery Star: validating user recovery". The Psychiatrist. 36 (2): 45–50. doi:10.1192/pb.bp.111.034264. ISSN 0955-6036. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- "The Recovery Star and resources". Programmes. Mental Health Providers Forum. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- "Recovery Star". About our trust. Humber NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Recovery Star". Advice & Support: Service users, carers and families. Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- "Recovery Star". BIG Recovery. Worcestershire Health and Care NHS Trust. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- Chapman, Ian (September 2014). "Housing Models: Examples of Innovative Practice and Design" (PDF). Mental Health Providers Forum. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- Dickens, G., Onifade, Y., Sugarman, P. and Weleminsky, J. (2012). "Recovery Star: validating user recovery". The Psychiatrist. 36 (2): 45–50. doi:10.1192/pb.bp.111.034264. ISSN 0955-6036.