This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Developer||Ville M. Turjanmaa|
|Written in||FASM assembly language|
Open source (32-bit)|
Closed source (64-bit)
|Initial release||May 16, 2000(32-bit)|
32-bit: 0.86 / February 20, 2015|
64-bit: 1.28.30 / February 18, 2018
|Available in||English, Russian, Chinese, Czech, Serbian|
|Default user interface||Graphical user interface|
GPL v2 (32-bit)|
Proprietary (64-bit) 
MenuetOS is an operating system with a monolithic preemptive, real-time kernel, including video drivers, all written in FASM assembly language, for 64-bit and 32-bit x86 architecture computers, by Ville M. Turjanmaa. It has a graphical desktop, games, and networking abilities (TCP/IP stack), yet it still fits on one 1.44 MB floppy disk. On an Intel Pentium MMX 200 MHz it can boot in 5 seconds.
The 64-bit MenuetOS, often referred to as Menuet 64, remains a platform for learning 64-bit assembly language programming. The 64-bit Menuet is distributed without charge for personal and educational use only, but without the source code, and the license includes a clause that prohibits disassembly.
Multi-core support was added on 24 Feb 2010.
The main focus of Menuet has been on making an environment for easy assembly programming, but it is still possible to run software written in high-level programming languages on the assembler core. The biggest single effort towards high-level language support is Jarek Pelczar's work in porting C libraries to Menuet.
The GUI at version 0.99 supports display resolutions up to 1920 x 1080 (16 million colours) with window transparency. The OS has support for several classes of USB 2.0 peripherals. MenuetOS ships with the shareware versions of Quake and Doom.
- KolibriOS - A free fork of MenuetOS
- damnsmalllinux.org - Really interesting OS, 2004-12-27
- (in German) MenuetOS: In Assembler geschriebenes Betriebssystem, golem.de, 2009-08-10
- (in Russian) Яков Уваров (30 August 2005) Мал золотник, да дорог, Computerra
- David Chisnall (Jun 22, 2007) A Roundup of Free Operating Systems. MenuetOS, informIT
- (in German) MenuetOS - 32bit-Betriebssystem auf einer Floppy, Der Standard, 12 May 2003
- Eugenia Loli-Queru (5 Sep 2001) Interview With Ville Turjanmaa, the Creator of MenuetOS, OSNews
- Ville M. Turjanmaa (December 1, 2001) The Menuet Operating System. Packing a lot of punch into a small package, Dr. Dobb's
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MenuetOS.|