|Founder||Sanjit Biswas, John Bicket, Hans Robertson|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, CA, U.S.|
Todd Nightingale (SVP, GM) Chris Stori (COO)Bret Hull (CTO)
Cisco Meraki is a cloud managed IT company headquartered in San Francisco, California. Their solutions include wireless, switching, security, EMM, communications, and security cameras, all centrally managed from the web. Meraki was acquired by Cisco Systems in December 2012.
The name Meraki is a Greek word (μεράκι) which means "doing something with soul, creativity, or love."
Meraki was founded Sanjit Biswas and John Bicket, along with Hans Robertson. The company was based in part on the MIT Roofnet project, an experimental 802.11b/g mesh network developed by the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Meraki was funded by Google and Sequoia Capital. The organization started in Mountain View, California in 2006, and before relocating to San Francisco. Meraki employed people who worked on the MIT Roofnet project.
In 2007, Meraki selected San Francisco for their community-based Free the Net campaign.[why?] They started putting gateway devices in the Lower Haight neighborhood to provide Internet access and giving away repeaters. In the first year of the project, the growth of the network was primarily in the Mission District. By October 2007, they estimated 20,000 distinct users connected and about 5 terabytes of data transferred in this network. In July 2008, Meraki said 100,000 people in San Francisco used its "Free the Net" service. Since then, Meraki discontinued this public service, though many access points remain active, but with no connection to the Internet.
Customer data loss incident
On August 3, 2017, the engineering team made changes to the North American object storage service, the change caused some customer data to get deleted. Cisco stated the change was "an erroneous policy" that was applied. The data loss mostly affected media files uploaded by customers. Data that was lost included:
- Systems Manager - Custom enterprise apps and contact images.
- Meraki Communications - IVR audio files, hold music, contact images and VM greetings.
- Wireless Device Dashboard - Custom floor plans, device placement photos, custom logos used for interface branding and reports and custom splash themes.
On August 7 it was announced some data on the cache service could be recovered. On August 9 customers were informed the recovery efforts were still underway but that they "do not expect to be able to recover most assets".
- Constine, Josh. "Cisco Acquires Enterprise Wi-Fi Startup Meraki For $1.2 Billion In Cash". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- Moore, Christopher J. "Translating the Untranslatable". NPR.org. Retrieved February 18, 2018.
- "Sequoia - Companies". Sequoia Capital. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- Fehrenbacher, Katie (2006-08-02). "Meraki Cooks Up Wireless Mesh Router". gigaom.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Google-Funded startup to offer free WiFi in San Francisco".
- North American Object Storage Service Impact (8-4-2017) - meraki.com
- Cisco Meraki suffers data loss caused by human error - thestack.com
- Cisco Meraki loses customer data in engineering gaffe - cloudpro.co.uk
- Cisco Meraki Data Loss Reveals Need for Oversight - sdxcentral.com
- Cisco loses customer data in Meraki cloud muckup - theregister.co.uk