Daimler AG (2007–present)
2006–present (export markets)
Toluca, Mexico (SKD)
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Executive car/Mid-size luxury car|
The Mercedes-Benz CLS is a four-door mid-size luxury fastback sedan originally launched in 2004 and based on the W211 E-Class and was internally designated as the W219. The second generation CLS-Class was introduced in September 2010 and production started in the beginning of 2011.
- 1 Background
- 2 First generation (W219, 2004–2010)
- 3 Second generation (W218, 2010–present)
- 3.1 F 800 Style Concept (2010)
- 3.2 Concept Shooting Brake (2010)
- 3.3 CLS-Class sedan (C 218, 2011–)
- 3.4 CLS 63 AMG (2011–)
- 3.5 CLS 350 BlueEFFICIENCY “designo” Limited (2012)
- 3.6 Shooting Brake (X 218, 2012–)
- 3.7 CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake (2012–)
- 3.8 CLS 63 AMG performance update (2013–)
- 3.9 Facelift mid-2014
- 3.10 Equipment
- 3.11 Equipment
- 3.12 Body style
- 3.13 Engines
- 3.14 Transmissions
- 3.15 Performance
- 3.16 Production
- 3.17 Marketing
- 4 Sales
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The CLS marked Mercedes-Benz's return to the executive-size coupe market since the (W124) E-Class Coupe (a two-door sedan) went out of production in 1995. The (W210) E-Class did not spawn a coupe variant, as Mercedes-Benz chose instead to introduce a smaller coupe based on the compact C-Class, the CLK-Class. However, the CLK-Class was built with a lengthened C-Class wheelbase so it could be slotted as a mid-sized vehicle, and it also featured styling cues, engines, and similar pricing to the (W210) E-Class to give the impression that the (W124) E-Class Coupe had been directly replaced.
Marketed as a four-door coupe, the CLS was designed by the American automotive designer, Michael Fink in 2001 (born 1967), who styled the first CLK, the C-Sportcoupe, and is known as the stylist who penned the Maybach 57 and 62. According to a Mercedes-Benz press release, the CLS-class was produced to combine the "strong, emotive charisma" of a coupe with the "comfort and practicality" of a sedan. Save for its four-door design, the CLS's design tends towards a coupe, as its sleek roofline reduces the rear passenger room to a 2+2 arrangement, and it offers a smaller selection of engines tending towards high powered of the range, compared to contemporary sedans such as the E-Class.
First generation (W219, 2004–2010)
2006–2011 (export markets)
|Designer||Michael Fink (2001)|
|Body and chassis|
|Wheelbase||112.4 in (2,855 mm)|
|Length||2006-09: 193.0 in (4,902 mm)
2009–2011: 193.6 in (4,917 mm)
2009–2011 AMG: 193.5 in (4,915 mm)
|Width||73.7 in (1,872 mm)|
|Height||2006-08: 54.7 in (1,389 mm)
2009–2011: 55.7 in (1,415 mm)
2009–2011 AMG: 55.9 in (1,420 mm)
The first generation of the CLS, the Mercedes-Benz W219, was based on a six inches (152 mm) longer version of the W211 E-Class platform. IVM Automotive, a subsidiary of German roof system specialist Edscha, developed the entire vehicle from the Vision concept to the production version. More than 150 IVM engineers were involved, making the CLS the largest vehicle development project in the company's history. Design patents were first filed on July 24, 2002.
European models went on sale in 2004. United States went on sale in January 2005, initially including CLS 500 and CLS 55 AMG. The first one for the export markets rolled off the assembly line on December 2, 2004. In 2006, Mercedes phased out both the 5.0L in the CLS 500 and 5.5L Supercharged V8 in the CLS 55 AMG in favor of two new 5.5L and 6.2L V8s. This resulted in the 2007 model year name change to the CLS 63 AMG (6.2L V8) and CLS 550 (5.5L V8) in the United States. The CLS 500 badge continues to be used in various markets with the 5.5L V8 engine.
The 2012 CLS 550 had a base price of US$72,175 in June 2011 (equivalent to £47786 today), with the CLS 55 starting at US$87,320. The 2012 CLS63 started at $96,775 (equivalent to £64069 today), for a base model, and is offered with steering wheel mounted paddles (F1 style), and 19" wheels for the US market.
Vision CLS (2003)
It is a concept vehicle with Six-cylinder twin turbo Diesel engine rated 265 PS (195 kW; 261 hp) and 560 N·m (413 lb·ft), 7G-TRONIC seven-speed automatic transmission, Active Light System from Mercedes-Benz E-Class (W 211), electrohydraulic brake system from Mercedes-Benz SL (R 230), dashboard and A-pillars upholstered in leather, soft leather upholstery at seats and door panels, oak veneer, glass roof, 470 liters trunk capacity, adaptive front airbags, window bags and side airbags, belt tensioners with adaptive belt force limiters,
CLS 55 AMG, CLS 63 AMG
The CLS 55 AMG and CLS 63 AMG are modified versions of the CLS produced by Mercedes-AMG. Features exclusive to AMG models include: perforated sport seats, 18-inch (457 mm) light-alloy wheels with wider tires (for the UK), 19-inch five-spoke light-alloy wheels (standard in North America, optional for all other markets), large air inlets and quad chromed oval exhaust pipes.
CLS 55 AMG was unveiled in 2004 Paris Motor Show.
CLS Grand Edition (2009)
Available in 4 engine variants (including CLS 280, CLS 350 CGI), it is a version of CLS-class vehicles with designo magno platinum matte body colour, radiator grille louvres in designo magno platinum, a choice of 4 metallic body colours (obsidian black, iridium silver, carneol red or flint grey), bi-xenon headlamps with dark headlamp casings, active light function and cornering light function in the fog lamps, headlamp cleaning system, and dynamic headlamp range adjustment, high-sheen AMG 18-inch 5-spoke light-alloy wheels with pockets painted in titanium grey, 245/40 R 18 front and 275/35 R 18 rear tyres, a "Grand Edition" insignia on the front wings, designo interior roof lining in anthracite Alcantara, designo leather upholstery in "marron" (optional sand, black, mystic red, porcelain or chablis shade), trim elements in laurel wood with matt or high-gloss finish at selector lever and the wood/leather steering wheel, sport pedals in brushed stainless steel with rubber studs, COMAND APS Multimedia control and display system, comfort telephony, PARKTRONIC, 'Grand Edition' velour floor mats.
The vehicles went on sale in January 2, 2009, with delivery began in March 2009.
Japan model only includes CLS 350, and went on sale on 2009-06-25.
CLS Sound Suite (2010)
Available in CLS 350 Grand Edition Sound Suite, CLS 350 Grand Edition Sound Suite, CLS 63 AMG Sound Suite, it included a 4-unit/6-speaker audio system from Sonic Design, for Japan market.
|Model||Engine type/code||Power||Torque||Acceleration 0–100 km/h (62 mph) (seconds)||Top speed|
|CLS 350||3.5 L V6 (M272)||200 kW (272 hp DIN)||350 N·m (258 lb·ft)||7.0||250 km/h (155 mph)|
|CLS 350 CGI||3.5 L V6 (M272)||215 kW (292 hp DIN)||365 N·m (269 lb·ft)||6.7||250 km/h (155 mph)|
|CLS 500 (2006)||5.0 L V8 (M113)||228 kW (306 hp DIN)||460 N·m (339 lb·ft)||6.1||250 km/h (155 mph)|
|CLS 550||5.5 L V8 (M273)||281 kW (388 hp DIN)||530 N·m (391 lb·ft)||5.1||250 km/h (155 mph)|
|CLS 500 (2007–)||5.5 L V8 (M273)||281 kW (388 hp DIN)||530 N·m (391 lb·ft)||5.1||250 km/h (155 mph)|
|CLS 55 AMG (2006)||5.4L V8 supercharged (M113)||350 kW (493 hp DIN)||715 N·m (516 lb·ft)||4.6||250 km/h (155 mph)|
|CLS 63 AMG||6.2 L AMG M156 V8||378 kW (514 hp DIN)||630 N·m (465 lb·ft)||4.5||250 km/h (155 mph)|
|Model||Engine type/code||Power||Torque||Acceleration 0–100 km/h (62 mph) (seconds)||Top speed|
|CLS 250 CDI||3.0 L V6 turbo||165 kW (224 hp DIN)||510 N·m (380 lb·ft)||7.0||250 km/h (155 mph)|
|CLS 320 CDI||3.0 L V6 turbo||165 kW (224 hp DIN)||540 N·m (380 lb·ft)||6.7||250 km/h (155 mph)|
|CLS 350 CDI||3.0 L V6 turbo||165 kW (224 hp DIN)||540 N·m (380 lb·ft)||7.0||250 km/h (155 mph)|
Mercedes-Benz has put all of its latest safety features into the CLS-class. In addition to front airbags, there are side-impact airbags in the front seats and side curtain airbags throughout. The car features a "smart" sensor system for the seatbelts and airbags that can detect and react to accident severity. An optional Pre-Safe system predicts an impending collision; when the system is activated, the seatbelts tighten, the front passenger seat adjusts to crash positioning, and the sunroof closes automatically. Mercedes-Benz engineers describe the feature as a human-like reflex system.
The air suspension has three settings. The default setting, "Comfort", is ideal under normal driving conditions, stiffening as the car's speed increases. "Sport 1" and "Sport 2" settings give the car more agility on winding and bumpy roads. The car can also be raised three inches (76 mm), if needed.
The CLS-class comes with a choice of four interior colors, three types of leather and two kinds of wood. Leather interior comes standard, with Nappa leather upholstery available on designo models. Burl walnut and dark laurel wood interior trim are available in either a high-gloss or silk matte finish. Leather colors include Black, Basalt Gray, Sunset Red and Cashmere. New scratch-resistant exterior paint is three times as durable as past exterior finishes.
There are 33 inches (838 mm) of rear legroom, which is not quite as accommodating as the 35.6 inches (904 mm) available in the E-Class. Elbow room is generous at 57 inches (1448 mm). The trunk can hold 16 cubic feet (453 L) of cargo.
The following features are standard in all models: heated auto-dimming mirrors, outside temperature gauge, rain-sensing wipers and projector-beam headlights. Also standard is a Thermatic automatic climate control system; this system assesses and adjusts interior temperature and humidity levels and filters the air in the cabin. There are dual controls in both the front and rear seats.
Other available features include: self-cleaning bi-xenon HID headlamps, distronic radar-guided cruise control, power sunroof, keyless go, drive authorization system and Parktronic parking sensors. Available electronics include: COMAND APS control system, GPS navigation and surround sound audio.
The first AMG vehicle rolled off the assembly line on April 20, 2004. Only 3,000 CLS 55 AMG cars were to be built each year. Mercedes-Benz has planned a yearly production of 30,000 units worldwide, of which about 10,000 to be exported to the U.S. market. It was assembled by Daimler AG in Sindelfingen, Germany and Mercedes-Benz Mexico in Toluca, Mexico.
Second generation (W218, 2010–present)
Toluca, Mexico (SKD)
|Designer||Hubert Lee (2007)|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door sedan, 5-door estate|
|Layout||FR and F4|
2.1L diesel I4
3.0L diesel V6
|Transmission||7-speed automatic, 9-speed automatic|
|Wheelbase||113.2 in (2,875 mm)|
|Length||194.5 in (4,940 mm)
AMG: 196.7 in (4,996 mm)
Estate: 195.1 in (4,956 mm)
|Width||74.1 in (1,882 mm)|
|Height||55.8 in (1,417 mm)
AMG: 55.4 in (1,407 mm)
|Curb weight||1865 kg (CLS 250 CDI Estate) - 2005 kg (CLS 500 4MATIC Estate)|
F 800 Style Concept (2010)
The F800 Style is a concept car was unveiled in 2010 Geneva Motor Show, previewing the production version of the second generation CLS-Class.
Concept Shooting Brake (2010)
Concept Shooting Brake is a wagon with front end front design from Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, LED headlamps, full-length centre console, silky oak wooden floor with inlaid aluminium protective loading strips at luggage compartment, engine from CLS 350 BlueEFFICIENCY, 20-inch sterling silver wheels in five-spoke filigree design, 255/30 ZR 20 front tyres, 285/25 ZR 20 rear tyres, panoramic glass sunroof, four saddle bags along the sides of the luggage compartment, full-length wood console on the transmission tunnel with two cup holders and controls for the rear-compartment air conditioning.
CLS-Class sedan (C 218, 2011–)
European models went on sale in January 2011, initially with CLS 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY, CLS 350 BlueEFFICIENCY, followed by CLS 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY in March 2011, and CLS 500 BlueEFFICIENCY in December 2010 with deliveries commencing in April 2011. 4MATIC models went on sale in September 2011 and later.
Edition 1 models (sold within first year following market launch) include matt exterior paintwork in manganite grey SHAPE, leather upholstery in designo corteccia tundra brown pearl with metallic shimmer, floormats with 'Edition 1' lettering, black designo roof liner and aluminium pedals, 3 interior trim elements colours (poplar light-brown satin, black piano lacquer, AMG Carbon fibre (optional)).
US models went on sale in summer 2011 as 2012 model year vehicles. Early models include CLS 500 BlueEFFICIENCY (as CLS550), CLS 63 AMG.
Japan models went on sale in 2011-02-18, with delivery began in June 2011. Early Japan models include CLS 350 BlueEFFICIENCY, CLS 63 AMG. CLS 500 BlueEFFICIENCY (as CLS 550 BlueEFFICIENCY) went on sale in 2011-10-24. Updated Japan models include CLS 350 BlueEFFICIENCY, CLS 500 BlueEFFICIENCY (as CLS 550 BlueEFFICIENCY), CLS 63 AMG.
CLS 63 AMG (2011–)
It is a version of CLS sedan with AMG 5.5-litre V8 biturbo engine rated 525 PS (386 kW; 518 hp)@5250rpm and 700 N·m (516 lb·ft)@1750-5250rpm, AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission, AMG RIDE CONTROL sports suspension (steel suspension struts on the front axle and air suspension struts on the rear axle, automatic level control, electronically controlled damping system, three suspension modes of "Comfort", "Sport" and "Sport plus"; 3-stage ESP with SPORT Handling mode), 24 mm wider front axle track width, 3-stage ESP, 360 mm ventilated and perforated brake discs, optional AMG high-performance braking system (larger brake discs, lower unsprung masses), titanium grey-painted high-sheen AMG light-alloy wheels with a triple-spoke design, 255/35 R 19 front and 285/30 R 19 rear tyres, aluminium doors, LED High Performance headlamps, radiator grille with large Mercedes star and wing-shaped horizontal slats from SLS AMG, wider mudguards with "V8 BITURBO" logo and a specific AMG front apron with black painted cross member, diffuser insert, AMG spoiler lip on the boot lid, AMG sports exhaust system with dual twin chrome tailpipes, integrated rear foglamp, black piano lacquer interior AMG sports seats in nappa leather, three-spoke AMG Performance steering wheel with aluminium shift paddles and flattened top and bottom sections, AMG DRIVE UNIT with compact E-SELECT selector lever.
AMG Performance package includes increased engine power to 557 PS (410 kW; 549 hp)@5750rpm and 800 N·m (590 lb·ft)@2000-4500rpm, genuine carbon fibre AMG spoiler lip on the boot lid, red-painted brake calipers, AMG Performance steering wheel with Alcantara inserts in the grip areas.
AMG Performance Studio options include:
- AMG RIDE CONTROL Performance suspension
- Lightweight, forged AMG light-alloy wheels featuring a 5-twin-spoke design with size 255/35 R 19 tyres at the front and 285/30 R 19 at the rear
- AMG rear axle locking differential with 40 percent locking action
- AMG ceramic high-performance composite braking system
- AMG Exterior Carbon package
- AMG trim elements in carbon fibre/black piano lacquer
- Illuminated AMG door sill panels
- AMG Driver's Package (includes restriction of top speed to 300 km/h, participation in driver training course at the AMG Driving Academy)
Edition 1 vehicle includes manganite grey SHAPE matt body colour, AMG sports seats in corteccia pearl designo leather with shimmering metallic surface finish, roof lining, A, B and C-pillars, sunblinds, finished in anthracite Alcantara; carbon fibre/black piano lacquer AMG trim elements, designo floormats in black velour, designo badge and designo leather insert in corteccia pearl.
The CLS 63 AMG went on sale in March 2011.
CLS 350 BlueEFFICIENCY “designo” Limited (2012)
It is a version of CLS 350 BlueEFFICIENCY for Japan market. It included a choice of 11 body colours (including exclusive option designo silken red), choice of 5 interior colours (designo classic red, designo pastel yellow, designo light brown, designo deep white, designo mystic blue), interior in black ash wood, AMG sport package (AIRMATIC suspension), 19-inch AMG 5-spoke alloy wheel, AMG styling package (front spoiler, rear skirt), twin chrome exhaust tip (square), single louvre front grille, black roof liner, stainless acceleration and brake pedals, AMG sport steering wheel), glass sliding roof, designo seat in Nappa leather.
Shooting Brake (X 218, 2012–)
Edition 1 models (sold within first year following market launch) include choice of 4 body colours (designo magno allanite grey matt, obsidian black metallic, palladium silver metallic or cavansite blue metallic), designo platinum white pearl leather appointments, floor mats with "Edition 1" lettering, black designo roof liner and aluminium pedals.
CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake (2012–)
It included AMG 5.5-litre V8 biturbo engine rated 525 PS (386 kW; 518 hp)@5250-5750rpm and 700 N·m (516 lb·ft)@1750-5250rpm, AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission, AMG RIDE CONTROL sports suspension (steel suspension struts on the front axle and air suspension struts on the rear axle, automatic level control, electronically controlled damping system, three suspension modes of "Comfort", "Sport" and "Sport plus"; 3-stage ESP with SPORT Handling mode), AMG-specific front and rear axles with greater negative camber and optimised elastokinematics, 56 mm wider front axle, 360 mm ventilated and perforated brake discs, optional AMG high-performance braking system (larger brake discs, painted brake callipers with "AMG Carbon Ceramic" lettering), titanium grey-painted high-sheen AMG light-alloy wheels with a triple-spoke design, 255/35 R 19 front and 285/30 R 19 rear tyres, AMG front apron with cross strut finished in high-gloss black, AMG radiator grille with single slat and the AMG-specific design of the bonnet, broader front wings with "V8 BITURBO" lettering, the AMG-specific rear apron with diffuser look, AMG sports exhaust system with two chrome twin tailpipes, high-performance LED headlamps including Intelligent Light System and adaptive Highbeam Assist, AMG sports seats in nappa leather with multicontour seat and memory functions, AMG black piano lacquer trim, AMG-specific analogue clock featuring an IWC design, AMG instrument cluster with AMG main menu including RACETIMER and AMG start-up screen, optional designo wooden luggage compartment floor (open-pore American cherry wood, darker smoked oak inlaid, brushed finish aluminium rails).
Edition 1 model includes:
- designo magno allanite grey paint finish
- increase engine power to 557 PS (410 kW; 549 hp) and 800 N·m (590 lb·ft)
- designo platinum white pearl leather with metallised finish for the AMG sports seats, armrests in the doors, front and rear centre console as well as the door centre panels
- AMG trim elements in carbon fibre/black piano lacquer and designo roof lining in black DINAMICA microfibre
An Edition 1 version of the vehicle assembled by Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg was unveiled in on the "Night of the Stars" at the 2012 German Grand Prix, and went on sale in October 2012. The Edition 1 vehicle built by Schumacher and Rosberg was auctioned off as part of the TV fundraising gala "A Heart for Children" held on 15 December 2012.
Japan version of Edition 1 was sold in limited quantities (50 units).
CLS 63 AMG performance update (2013–)
For CLS 63 AMG in sedan and Shooting Brake variants, the engine power is increased to 557 PS (410 kW; 549 hp)@5500rpm and 720 N·m (531 lb·ft)@1750-5250rpm with Euro 6 emission compliance and improved performance (except top speed) over the Performance Package and Edition 1 in previous AMG vehicles. Other changes include 24 millimetre wider track at the front, 9.0 x 19-inch front wheels with 255/35 R 19 tyres, 10 x 19-inch rear wheels with 285/30 R 19 tyres.
Additional CLS 63 AMG models include CLS 63 AMG 4MATIC, CLS 63 AMG 4MATIC S-Model, in sedan and Shooting Brake variants. CLS 63 AMG 4MATIC includes AMG 4MATIC all-wheel drive, three-link front suspension optimisation, 10-spoke light-alloy wheels painted in matt titanium grey with a high-sheen rim flange on top of the updated CLS 63 AMG vehicles. CLS 63 AMG 4MATIC S-Model is based on CLS 63 AMG 4MATIC, but includes increased engine power to 585 PS (430 kW; 577 hp)@5500rpm and 800 N·m (590 lb·ft)@1750-5000rpm, rear axle differential lock, axle components produced in aluminium.
The CLS-Class became the first production Mercedes-Benz car with MULTIBEAM LED (similar to Audi Matrix LED) digitally controlled, full-LED glare-free adaptive highbeam. Multibeam LED headlamps come with a number of lighting features to extend the Intelligent Light System's previous functionality (adaptive Highbeam Assist, country mode, motorway mode, fog lamps, active light function, LED daytime running lamps): Anti-dazzle, high-performance high beams, which react faster, and more precise anticipatory camera-based active light function, navigation-assisted light function for roundabouts.
The CLS facelift includes twelve new driving assistance systems: COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST (as standard), driver drowsiness detection (known as ATTENTION ASSIST, as standard), Autonomous cruise control system (called DISTRONIC PLUS) with Steering Assist, Brake Assist system BAS PLUS with Junction Assist, PRE-SAFE Brake, PRE-SAFE PLUS, PRE-SAFE Impulse, Active Lane Keeping Assist, Adaptive Highbeam Assist PLUS, Night View Assist PLUS, Active Parking Assist, Active Blind Spot Assist and Traffic Sign Assist with wrong-way driving warning function, were available. A 360-degree camera projects an overview of the vehicle and its surroundings as a virtual bird's-eye view on the multimedia display. The guide lines help with entering and exiting from parking spaces as well as manoeuvring. Collision Prevention Assist Plus system, which will now brake autonomously to help prevent a collision. The interior is unchanged apart from a larger 8-inch infotainment screen displaying revised navigation and entertainment software.
- Standard Agility Control Suspension with Selective Damping System
- optional AIRMATIC air suspension with continuously Adaptive Damping System Plus
- Nine airbags as standard
- ESP Dynamic Cornering Assist
- Traffic Sign Assist with Speed Limit Assist and wrong-way driving warning function
- COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS (as standard)
- ATTENTION ASSIST (as standard)
- ADAPTIVE BRAKE (as standard)
- DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist
- Brake Assist system BAS PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist
- NECK-PRO crash-responsive head restraints
- PRE-SAFE, PRE-SAFE Brake, PRE-SAFE PLUS, Pre-Safe with pedestrian detection and City Brake function
- Active bonnet
- Active Lane Keeping Assist
- MULTIBEAM LED full-LED headlamps with Intelligent Light System and Adaptive Highbeam Assist PLUS
- Night View Assist PLUS (pedestrian/animal detection) with flashing Spotlight Function through MULTIBEAM LED
- Active Parking Assist
- Active Blind Spot Assist
- Crosswind Assist
- Active Parking Assist
- Backup camera
- Electric parking brake with emergency braking function
- Direct-Steer Electromechanical steering with Steer Assist electromechanical steering power assistance
The base CLS400 (a new derivate for 2015) is powered by a new 3.0L twin-turbo V6, producing 329 horsepower and 354 lb-ft of torque. This engine will be mated to a seven-speed automatic transmission and will feature either rear-wheel-drive or 4MATIC all-wheel-drive. The upgraded CLS550 trim is expected to be powered by a carryover 4.6L twin-turbo V8, producing 402 horsepower and 443 lb-ft of torque. The CLS550 will be the first Mercedes to use the brand's new nine-speed automatic transmission, and will feature only rear-wheel-drive at launch.
Bang & Olufsen BeoSound AMG
The Bang & Olufsen BeoSound AMG for CLS 63 AMG and CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake includes 14 speakers, unique aluminium speaker grilles, total 1200 watts amplifiers (450 Watts amplifier, 750 watts 5-channel ICEpower Amplifier) with 14-channel DSP, True-Image music signal distribution algorithm, Vehicle Noise Compensation, 3 passenger sound modes (front, rear, all).
|Body types||Sedan||Shooting Brake|
|CLS 350 BlueEFFICIENCY||2011–||2012-|
|CLS 500 BlueEFFICIENCY||2011-||2012-|
|CLS 500 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY||2011-||2012-|
|CLS 63 AMG (525PS)||2011-||2012-|
|CLS 63 AMG with Performance Package/Edition 1 (557PS)||2011-||2012-|
|CLS 63 AMG (557PS)||2013-||2013-|
|CLS 63 AMG 4MATIC (557PS)||2013-||2013-|
|CLS 63 AMG 4MATIC S-Model||2013-||2013-|
|CLS 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY||2011-||2012-|
|CLS 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY||2011-||2012-|
|CLS 350 CDI 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY||2011-||2012-|
|Model||Years||Engine type/code||Power, torque@rpm|
|CLS 350 BlueEFFICIENCY||2011-||3,498 cc (3.498 L; 213.5 cu in) V6 (M 276 DE 35)||306 PS (225 kW; 302 hp)@6500, 370 N·m (273 lb·ft)@3500-5250|
|CLS 500 BlueEFFICIENCY (sedan)||2011-||4,633 cc (4.633 L; 282.7 cu in) twin turbo V8 (M 278 DE 46 AL red.)||408 PS (300 kW; 402 hp)@5250, 600 N·m (443 lb·ft)@1800-3500|
|CLS 500 BlueEFFICIENCY (Shooting Brake)||2012-||4,633 cc (4.633 L; 282.7 cu in) twin turbo V8 (M 278 DE 46 AL red.)||408 PS (300 kW; 402 hp)@5000, 600 N·m (443 lb·ft)@1600-4750|
|CLS 500 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY (sedan)||2011-||4,633 cc (4.633 L; 282.7 cu in) twin turbo V8 (M 278 DE 46 AL red.)||408 PS (300 kW; 402 hp) @5,000-5,750, 600 N·m (443 lb·ft)@1600-4750|
|CLS 500 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY (Shooting Brake)||2012-||4,633 cc (4.633 L; 282.7 cu in) twin turbo V8 (M 278 DE 46 AL red.)||408 PS (300 kW; 402 hp)@5000, 600 N·m (443 lb·ft)@1600-4750|
|CLS 63 AMG sedan (525PS)||2011-||5,461 cc (5.461 L; 333.3 cu in) V8 twin turbo (M 157 DE 55 AL)||525 PS (386 kW; 518 hp)@5250, 700 N·m (516 lb·ft)@1750-5250|
|CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake (525PS)||2011-||5,461 cc (5.461 L; 333.3 cu in) V8 twin turbo (M 157 DE 55 AL)||525 PS (386 kW; 518 hp)@5250-5750, 700 N·m (516 lb·ft)@1750-5250|
|CLS 63 AMG sedan with Performance Package (557PS)||2011-||5,461 cc (5.461 L; 333.3 cu in) V8 twin turbo (M 157 DE 55 AL)||557 PS (410 kW; 549 hp)@5750, 800 N·m (590 lb·ft)@2000-4500|
|CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake Edition 1 (557PS)||2012-||5,461 cc (5.461 L; 333.3 cu in) V8 twin turbo (M 157 DE 55 AL)||557 PS (410 kW; 549 hp)@5250-5750, 800 N·m (590 lb·ft)@2000-4500|
|CLS 63 AMG (557PS)||2013-||5,461 cc (5.461 L; 333.3 cu in) V8 twin turbo (M 157 DE 55 AL)||557 PS (410 kW; 549 hp)@5500, 720 N·m (531 lb·ft)@1750-5250|
|CLS 63 AMG 4MATIC (557PS)||2013-||5,461 cc (5.461 L; 333.3 cu in) V8 twin turbo (M 157 DE 55 AL)||557 PS (410 kW; 549 hp)@5500, 720 N·m (531 lb·ft)@1750-5250|
|CLS 63 AMG S-Model||2014-||5,461 cc (5.461 L; 333.3 cu in) V8 twin turbo (M 157 DE 55 AL)||585 PS (430 kW; 577 hp)@5500, 800 N·m (590 lb·ft)@1750-5000|
|Model||Years||Engine type/code||Power, torque@rpm|
|CLS 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY||2011-||2,143 cc (2.143 L; 130.8 cu in) I4 twin turbo (OM 651 DE 22 LA)||204 PS (150 kW; 201 hp)@4200, 500 N·m (369 lb·ft)@1600–1800|
|CLS 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY||2011-||2,987 cc (2.987 L; 182.3 cu in) V6 turbo (OM 642 LS DE 30 LA)||265 PS (195 kW; 261 hp)@3800, 620 N·m (457 lb·ft)@1600–2400|
|CLS 350 CDI 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY||2011-||2,987 cc (2.987 L; 182.3 cu in) V6 turbo (OM 642 LS DE 30 LA)||265 PS (195 kW; 261 hp)@3800, 620 N·m (457 lb·ft)@1600–2400|
For CLS, ECO start/stop system is standard on CLS 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY, CLS 350 BlueEFFICIENCY and CLS 500 BlueEFFICIENCY. ECO start/stop is standard on all CLS Shooting Brake.
|CLS 350 BlueEFFICIENCY||2011-||7-speed automatic (7G-TRONIC PLUS)|
|CLS 500 BlueEFFICIENCY||2011-2014||7-speed automatic (7G-TRONIC PLUS)|
|CLS 500 BlueEFFICIENCY||2014-||9-speed automatic (9G-TRONIC)|
|CLS 500 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY||2011-||7-speed automatic (7G-TRONIC PLUS)|
|CLS 63 AMG (525PS)||2011-||7-speed sports (AMG Speed-shift MCT)|
|CLS 63 AMG sedan with Performance Package (557PS)||2011-||7-speed sports (AMG Speed-shift MCT)|
|CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake Edition 1 (557PS)||2012-||7-speed sports (AMG Speed-shift MCT)|
|CLS 63 AMG (557PS)||2013-||7-speed sports (AMG Speed-shift MCT)|
|CLS 63 AMG 4MATIC (557PS)||2013-||7-speed sports (AMG Speed-shift MCT)|
|CLS 63 AMG 4MATIC S-Model||2013-||7-speed sports (AMG Speed-shift MCT)|
|CLS 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY||2011-2014||7-speed automatic (7G-TRONIC PLUS)|
|CLS 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY||2014-||9-speed automatic (9G-TRONIC)|
|CLS 320 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY||2011-||7-speed automatic (7G-TRONIC PLUS)|
|CLS 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY||2011-2014||7-speed automatic (7G-TRONIC PLUS)|
|CLS 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY||2014-||9-speed automatic (9G-TRONIC)|
|CLS 350 CDI 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY||2011-||7-speed automatic (7G-TRONIC PLUS)|
|Model||0–100 km/h (seconds)||Fuel Consumption/Efficiency (EU-Norm combined)|
|CLS 350 BlueEFFICIENCY||6.7/6.0||6.8 L/100 km (35 mpg-US)/7.3 L/100 km (32 mpg-US)|
|CLS 500 BlueEFFICIENCY||4.8/5.0||9.0 L/100 km (26 mpg-US) (provisional)/9.2 L/100 km (26 mpg-US)|
|CLS 500 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY||4.6/4.9||9.8 L/100 km (24 mpg-US)/9.8 L/100 km (24 mpg-US)|
|CLS 63 AMG (525PS)||4.4/4.4||9.9 L/100 km (24 mpg-US)/10.1 L/100 km (23 mpg-US)|
|CLS 63 AMG with Performance Package/Edition 1 Shooting Brake (557PS)||4.3/4.3||9.9 L/100 km (24 mpg-US)/10.1 L/100 km (23 mpg-US)|
|CLS 63 AMG (557PS)||4.2/4.3||9.9 L/100 km (24 mpg-US)/10.1 L/100 km (23 mpg-US)|
|CLS 63 AMG 4MATIC||3.7/3.8||10.4 L/100 km (23 mpg-US)/10.6 L/100 km (22 mpg-US)|
|CLS 63 AMG 4MATIC S-Model||3.6/3.7||10.4 L/100 km (23 mpg-US)/10.6 L/100 km (22 mpg-US)|
|Model||0–100 km/h (seconds)||Fuel Consumption/Efficiency (EU-Norm combined)|
|CLS 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY||7.0/7.8||5.1 L/100 km (46 mpg-US)/5.3 L/100 km (44 mpg-US)|
|CLS 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY||6.2/6.6||6.0 L/100 km (39 mpg-US)/6.0 L/100 km (39 mpg-US)|
|CLS 350 CDI 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY||6.2/6.7||6.6 L/100 km (36 mpg-US)/6.6 L/100 km (36 mpg-US)|
As part of CLS Shooting Brake launch, 2 zinc die cast scale model CLS Shooting Brake cars (1:18, 1:43) from Mercedes-Benz Accessories GmbH were made. The 1:18 scale model includes over 115 individual parts with openable doors, bonnet and boot; LED headlamps with Intelligent Light System (ILS), light alloy wheels in multi-spoke design, choice of 3 colours (obsidian black, thulite red, design magno allanite grey); a glove and a screwdriver for removing the model from the packaging. The 1:43 scale model consists of over 53 individual parts including LED headlamps with ILS and aluminium wheels in multi-spoke design, a choice of 3 paint colours (iridium silver, diamond white metallic BRIGHT, manganite grey SHAPE). The 1:18 car went on sale at the end of October 2012.
As part of CLS Shooting Brake launch, a video of Mercedes-Benz thanking its 9 million Facebook fans was produced.
More than 170,000 W219 type CLS-Class cars were produced when production ended on July 13, 2010.
|Calendar year||Production||US sales|
- "Mercedes-Benz CLS Production Comes to an End". carscoop.blogspot.com. 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- Meiners, Jens (January 2009). "2009 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 Grand Edition". Car and Driver. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "CLS class review". Edmunds.
- "Design Number: 40206081-0001". Register.dpma.de. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- Mercedes-Benz Concept Vehicles – the Shape of the Future
- Mercedes premiere Vision CLS coupe study at Frankfurt
- 2003 Mercedes-Benz Vision CLS Concept Boldride.com - Pictures, Wallpapers
- Mercedes-Benz CLS Grand Edition: Exclusive style, concentrated elegance and exciting lines
- メルセデス・ベンツ CLSクラス特別仕様車「CLS 350 Grand Edition（グランドエディション）｣を限定発売
- CLS Sound Suite :: SONIC DESIGN
- スペシャルオーディオシステム搭載のCLSクラス特別仕様車 CLS Sound Suite を限定発売
- Mercedes-Benz CLS Sound Suite｜メルセデス・ベンツ CLS サウンド スイート 10台限定のプレミアムな“走るオーディオルーム”
- Geneva Preview: Mercedes-Benz F 800 Style a sneak peek at next CLS-Class
- Mercedes-Benz CLS Shooting Brake Concept revealed ahead of Beijing *UPDATED
- Beijing 2010: Mercedes-Benz CLS Shooting Brake concept is the four-door coupe of wagons
- Mercedes-Benz at Auto China 2010: World premiere of the Concept Shooting Brake and four new models for the Chinese car market
- Two world and two Asia premieres: Mercedes-Benz at "Auto China 2010" - Mercedes-Benz at "Auto China 2010": World premiere of the Concept Shooting Break
- World premiere at the 2010 Paris motor show: The new CLS - the new design icon from Mercedes-Benz
- Officially Official: 2012 Mercedes-Benz CLS revealed before Paris debut
- Mercedes-Benz at the 2010 “Mondial de l’Automobile” in Paris: Style icons and technology trendsetters - three world premieres from the inventor of the automobile
- World premiere at the 2010 Paris Motor Show: The new CLS - the new design icon from Mercedes-Benz
- From January 2011 at European dealers: Sales start for the new CLS
- The model range: Every CLS is a one-off
- Mercedes-Benz officially prices CLS from $71,000*
- メルセデス・ベンツCLS クラスをフルモデルチェンジ
- メルセデス・ベンツCLS 550 BlueEFFICIENCY を新発売メルセデス・ベンツCLS 550 BlueEFFICIENCY を新発売
- AMG V8 biturbo engine consuming 9.9 litres per 100 km: CLS 63 AMG – the benchmark in design, performance and efficiency
- CLS 350 BlueEFFICIENCY“designo”Limited を期間限定発売
- メルセデス・ベンツCLS 350 BlueEFFICIENCY ″designo″ Limited 期間限定発売開始！
- Kew, Ollie (29 June 2012). "Mercedes CLS Shooting Brake (2012) first pictures". Car Magazine. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- 2013 Mercedes-Benz CLS Shooting Brake is bringing sexy-functional back
- Sales release of the CLS Shooting Brake: Setting a new stage for the coupé design
- Night of the Stars - CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake at the German Grand Prix: A new vehicle concept celebrates its world premiere
- Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG Shooting Brake ist verboten frucht
- CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake: The performance trendsetter
- CLS 63 AMG シューティングブレーク Edition 1を発売
- Mercedes-Benz CLS 63 AMG: performance, dynamism and efficiency - The new benchmark: CLS 63 AMG as S-Model and with 4MATIC
- Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG gets same AWD, power boost as new E63 models
- Mercedes-AMG at the 83rd International Motor Show in Geneva
- Mercedes-Benz at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show
- media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-1708962-1-1712129-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html MULTIBEAM LED headlamps: The future of light
- http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-1708962-1-1714419-1-0-0-0-0-1-0-1549054-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html?TS=1419957679754 New C-Class Estate and new generation CLS-Class: Intense driving pleasure and modern luxury
- CLS-CLASS CLS 63 AMG - Bang & Olufsen BeoSound AMG High-End Surround Sound System
- CLS-CLASS CLS 63 AMG SHOOTING BRAKE - Bang & Olufsen BeoSound AMG High-End Surround Sound System
- "The new Mercedes-Benz CLS: Refined sportiness - The drive system: Four new engines giving the ultimate in driving pleasure" (Press release). Daimler AG. 2010-10-04.
- "Mercedes-Benz CLS Shooting Brake: Independence at its most beautiful" (Press release). Daimler AG. 2012-06-29.
- Decision for serial production: CLS Shooting Brake will be built in the Mercedes-Benz Plant Sindelfingen
- Mercedes-Benz confirms production of CLS Shooting Brake
- The new CLS Shooting Brake now available as a model car: Innovative down to the smallest detail
- Mercedes-Benz thanks its 9 million Facebook fans
- "First-Generation Mercedes-Benz CLS Production Ends". motorauthority.com. Retrieved 2012-03-25.
- "2004 Highest Year on Record for Mercedes-Benz USA". Theautochannel.com. Retrieved 2010-02-22.
- "Mercedes-Benz Rings in the New Year with Record 2006 Sales". Theautochannel.com. Retrieved 2010-02-22.
- "Mercedes-Benz USA's Sales Drop 32.1 Percent In December 2008 | eMercedesBenz - The Unofficial Mercedes-Benz Weblog". eMercedesBenz. 2009-01-05. Retrieved 2010-02-22.
- "Mercedes-Benz Posts Highest Sales Month for the Year With 20,025 Vehicles Sold in December - MONTVALE, N.J., Jan. 5 /PRNewswire/". New Jersey: Prnewswire.com. 2010-01-05. Retrieved 2010-02-22.
- "Highest Sales Month for the Year at 21,469 Brings Mercedes-Benz to an... - MONTVALE, N.J., Jan. 4, 2011 /PRNewswire/". New Jersey: Prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class.|
- Mercedes-Benz official website
- Official Mercedes-Benz CLS UK
- Mercedes CLS Class USA
- Mercedes-Benz CLS 250 CDI Blue EFFICIENCY Coupe Exterior and Interior in 3D Full HD
- The new Mercedes-Benz CLS: Refined sportiness
- The new Mercedes-Benz CLS 63 AMG
- 4MATIC: the intelligent all-wheel drive system