Mercedes-Benz OM642 engine
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (February 2009)
|Mercedes-Benz OM642 engine|
|Displacement||3.0 L; 182.3 cu in (2,987 cc)|
|Cylinder bore||83 mm (3.27 in)|
|Piston stroke||92 mm (3.62 in)|
|Valvetrain||DOHC 4 valves x cyl.|
|Turbocharger||Variable nozzle Garrett GT2056VK|
|Fuel system||Common rail direct injection|
|Cooling system||Water cooled|
|Power output||european models: 195 kW (265 PS; 261 hp). US vehicles: 157 kW (213 PS; 211 hp). Mercedes/Dodge Sprinter: 140 kW (190 PS; 188 hp).|
|Torque output||european models: 620 N⋅m (457 lb⋅ft). US vehicles: 540 N⋅m (398 lb⋅ft). Mercedes/Dodge Sprinter: 440 N⋅m (325 lb⋅ft).|
|Dry weight||208 kg (459 lb)|
|Predecessor||Mercedes-Benz OM648 engine|
|Successor||Mercedes-Benz OM656 engine|
VM A630 (VM Motori)
The Mercedes-Benz OM642 engine is a 3.0 litres (2,987 cc), 24-valve, aluminium/aluminium block and heads diesel 72° V6 engine manufactured by the Mercedes-Benz division of Daimler AG as a replacement for the Mercedes straight-5 and straight-6 cylinder engines.
The engine features common rail Direct injection and a variable nozzle turbocharger. The injection system operates at 1,600 bar (23,000 psi), while the compression ratio is 18.0:1. The engine features a counter-rotating balance shaft mounted between the cylinder banks to cancel the vibrations inherent to the 72 degree V6 design, and the crankpins are offset by 48 degrees to achieve even 120 degree firing intervals. In some heavy vehicle applications, Mercedes' BlueTec AdBlue urea injection is utilised for NOx reduction. In lighter vehicle applications, a NOx storage catalyst captures nitrous oxides, which are periodically purged (decomposed) by running the engine slightly rich. A particulate filter lowers soot, making this engine ULEV certified. Engine mass is 208 kg (459 lb). Power output is 165 kW (224 PS; 221 hp) and 510 N⋅m (376 lb⋅ft) of torque. For the 2007 model year, torque is raised to 540 N⋅m (398 lb⋅ft).
Beginning of summer 2017 the engine, together with Mercedes-Benz OM651 is in discussion that depending if the engine is operated in laboratory emissions testing a different amount of diesel exhaust fluid is used than in real world operating scenarios.
Vehicles using this engine include:
- Dodge / Freightliner Trucks / Mercedes-Benz Sprinter (2006–Present)
- Jeep Grand Cherokee WK/WH (2005-2010 (Europe)1, 2007-2008 (North America)2)
- Jeep Commander XK/XH (2006-2010 (Europe))
- Mercedes-Benz C320 CDI (2005–2009)
- Mercedes-Benz E280 & E320 CDI/Bluetec (2007-2009) models 211.02 & 022
- Mercedes-Benz C350 CDI (2009–2014)
- Mercedes-Benz CLK320 CDI (2005-2010)
- Mercedes-Benz E350 CDI/Bluetec (2010–2016) Models 212.024
- Mercedes-Benz G350 CDI/Bluetec (2007–2018)
- Mercedes-Benz GLK 350 CD (2013–2015)
- Mercedes-Benz R320/350 CDI/Bluetec (2007–2012) Models 251.122 & 125
- Mercedes-Benz ML320/350 CDI/Bluetec (2007–2019) Models 164.122, 125 & 024
- Mercedes-Benz GL320/350 CDI/Bluetec (2006–2012) Models 164.822, 825, & 824
- Mercedes-Benz GLC 350 d (2016-2019)
- Mercedes-Benz S320/350 CDI/Bluetec (2005–2013) Models 221.183
- Mercedes-Benz CLS320/350 CDI/Bluetec (2005–2018) Models 219.322; 218.326, 926, 394, 994, 323, 923, 393, 993
- Chrysler 300C (2006-2011) (Europe and Australia only)
- Mercedes-Benz Vito Van 120 cdi and Vito 204 Sports (2006–2013 UK)
Air is drawn into the engine through two air filters located above each cylinder head. The amount of the air is metered by two hot film mass air flow sensors B2/6&7. On Sprinter models, a single air filter housing is mounted upon brackets on top of the engine.
The variable geometry Turbine is actuated via a linkage connecting the controller to vanes inside the Turbine housing. In the full-boost position, air is allowed to pass over the Turbine impeller. In the no boost position the vanes block exhaust gasses from acting on the impeller and route them down the exhaust pipe.
- "05_kompact_en.doc" (PDF). ourexcellentadventures.com. Retrieved 2009-02-13.
- Consumer Reports: What is BlueTec? Archived 2009-06-06 at the Wayback Machine
- Motive Magazine ULEV certification, Diesel Car Bomb BlueTec
- Abgas-Skandal: KBA findet angeblich deutliche Hinweise auf illegale Abschalteinrichtungen in Mercedes-Dieselautos, heise, 2017-07-14