Mercedes-Benz S-Class (W222)
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Mercedes-Benz S-Class (W222)|
|Also called||Mercedes-Maybach S-Class (X222)|
|Designer||Robert Lešnik (2009)|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Full-size luxury car (F)|
|Body style||4-door sedan|
|Width||1,899 mm (74.8 in)|
|Height||1,496 mm (58.9 in)|
The Mercedes-Benz W222 is the version of the Mercedes-Benz S-Class produced since 2013, and the successor of the Mercedes-Benz W221. The W222, designed during 2009 by Robert Lešnik, has a similar design theme to the CLA-Class and Pre-Facelifted E-Class (W212).
In Europe, sales of the S 400 Hybrid, S 350 BlueTEC, S 350 BlueTEC Hybrid, and S 500 began in September 2013. US sales of the S 550 also began in September; the 4Matic four-wheel drive model went on sale in November, 2013. Additional models, including V12 models and those from AMG were released in 2014.
- 1 Technology
- 2 Suspension
- 3 Safety innovations
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Models
- 6 W222 Facelift (2017 - Present)
- 6.1 Powertrain: new engines with landmark technology
- 6.1.1 Mercedes-Benz S 560 4MATIC and Mercedes-Maybach S 560 4MATIC.
- 6.1.2 Mercedes-AMG S 63 4MATIC+
- 6.1.3 New in-line six-cylinder diesel engine
- 6.1.4 ENERGIZING comfort control
- 6.1 Powertrain: new engines with landmark technology
- 7 Specifications
- 8 References
- 9 External links
||This section contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The W222 is the first S-Class using very-high-speed FlexRay optical fiber data bus technology, which interconnects (data fusion) all electrical/electronic systems, particularly the COMAND Online control interface (with Intel Atom processor), MBC road scanning active suspension and the multitude of new driver assistance systems, since all these require very high data bit rates.
Mercedes' Active Body Control hydraulic active suspension has been updated with a system dubbed Magic Body Control (MBC) that is fitted with a road-sensing system ("Road surface scan") that pre-scans the road for uneven surfaces, potholes and bumps. Using a stereo camera, the system scans the road surface up to 15 meters ahead of the vehicle at speeds up to 130 km/h (81 mph), and it adjusts the shock damping at each wheel to account for imperfections in the road. Magic Body Control is not available on any of the 4-Matic models, as of Model Year 2017. 
- Sensors: The S-Class uses a total of six radar sensors, plus one long-range and one short-range infrared sensor. New improved versions of the short-range and long-range radars combine with a new multi-mode radar to detect relevant obstacles such as vehicles or people in defined areas in front of, next to and, now, behind the vehicle, too. The system employs 2 x short-range radars at the front (range 30 m, detection angle 80°), 1 x long-range radar at the front (200 m, 18°) with medium-range detection (60 m, 60°), 2 x short-range radars on the sides at the rear (30 m, 80°) and 1 x multi-mode radar at the rear (30 m, 80° and 80 m, 16°). The algorithms for the varying systems amalgamate (data fusion) the radar readings with the visual information from the stereo camera. Many of the assistance systems from Mercedes-Benz work in this way, fusing multiple data sources to ensure more reliable operation.
- Distronic Plus with Steering Assist: This radar-based function has now been enhanced by the addition of Steering Assist, which helps drivers to stay centred in their lane by generating the appropriate steering torque when travelling on a straight road and even in gentle bends. The stereo camera recognises lane markings as well as vehicles driving ahead together with their three-dimensional positioning, and relays this information to the electric steering assistance system. When driving at slow speeds, e.g. in congested traffic, Steering Assist can use the vehicle ahead as a means of orientation, enabling semi-autonomous following even when there are no clear lane markings visible. As a result, the system is able to further enhance driving comfort and substantially ease the driver's workload in many traffic situations. DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist can be activated as before with a lever on the steering column in a speed range from 0 – 200 km/h. Any speed between 30 km/h and 200 km/h can be selected as the desired cruising speed. Drivers must keep their hands on the steering wheel at all times even when Steering Assist is activated, as the function only works in bends above a certain, speed-dependent radius.
- BAS Plus with Cross-Traffic Assist: can also come to the driver's aid when there is a risk of a collision with cross traffic at junctions. If this anticipatory system detects a hazardous situation of this type, it prompts the driver to start emergency braking by activating visual and acoustic warnings. If the driver presses the brake pedal too tentatively, BAS PLUS will step in by automatically boosting brake pressure for effective emergency braking, even applying the brakes at full power if necessary. Applying just the right amount of braking power for the situation at hand maximises the available braking distance for traffic behind. The Cross-Traffic Assist function is operative at speeds up to approx. 72 km/h, while BAS PLUS is able to aid the driver in longitudinal situations at any speed.
- Pre-Safe with pedestrian detection and City Brake function Thanks to the combination of stereo camera and radar sensors, it is now possible to detect pedestrians in front of the vehicle. Visual and acoustic warnings are triggered when a hazard is spotted. If the driver then reacts by braking, the braking power will be boosted by BAS PLUS as the situation requires, right up to a full brake application. Should the driver fail to react, PRE-SAFE® Brake triggers autonomous vehicle braking. The PRE-SAFE® Brake with pedestrian detection is active up to approx. 72 km/h, and is able to prevent collisions with pedestrians autonomously from an initial speed of up to 50 km/h.
- Pre-Safe Plus: offers an extension of the familiar occupant protection measures in situations where traffic behind poses a danger. A radar sensor in the rear bumper monitors the traffic behind the vehicle. If the risk of an impact from the rear is detected, the rear hazard warning lights are activated to alert the driver of the vehicle behind (not on vehicles with USA/Canada coding). Apart from this, the PRE-SAFE® anticipatory occupant protection measures, such as the reversible belt tensioners, are deployed. Plus, if the vehicle is stopped and the driver indicates a wish to remain stationary – by depressing the brake pedal, for example, activating the HOLD function or moving the selector lever to "P" – PRE-SAFE® PLUS will also come to the driver's aid by increasing the brake pressure in order to keep the vehicle firmly braked during a possible rear-end collision.
- Pre-Safe Impulse: at an early phase of the crash, before the resulting deceleration starts to increase, the front occupants are pulled away from the direction of impact and deeper into their seats by their seat belts. By the time the accident enters the phase when loads peak, the extra distance they are retracted by can be used while dissipating energy in a controlled fashion. Pre-acceleration and force limitation allow the occupants to be temporarily isolated from the effects of the crash, significantly reducing the risk and severity of injuries in a frontal collision.
- Beltbags: The beltbag is an inflatable seat-belt strap that is able to reduce the risk of injury to passengers in the rear in a head-on collision by lessening the strain placed on the ribcage. Should the crash sensors detect a severe frontal impact, the airbag control unit will trigger deployment and inflation of the beltbag. A gas generator then inflates the multi-layered belt strap with Velcro seams to nearly three times its normal width. The resulting larger surface area is able to better distribute the force acting on the seat occupant, thereby reducing the risk of injury.
- Active seat-belt buckle with Pre-Safe function for rear occupants: the active seat-belt buckle is fully integrated in the vehicle's PRE-SAFE® system. Whenever PRE-SAFE® becomes active in critical driving situations or when the system detects the vehicle approaching other objects at a critical speed, reversible belt tensioning is also performed in the rear via the active seat-belt buckle function. The restraint system and the passengers are thus better prepared for a possible accident system. In contrast to its extended position to facilitate fastening of the seat belt, the belt buckle is retracted by approx. 40 millimetres instead. This reversible function increases the belt tensioning on the occupant by up to 80 millimetres. In addition, the belt buckle branches off at a lower point at the occupant's hip. This reduces the risk of the pelvis submarining under the belt. Securing the occupants more effectively in this way can reduce the strain to which they are exposed in the event of an accident. The active seat-belt buckle complements the pyrotechnic belt tensioning which has featured as standard in Mercedes-Benz vehicles for many years now, and is triggered in the event of an actual impact.
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus: For the first time, the Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus allows the high-beam headlamps to be kept on permanently while driving by masking out other road user detected in the beams' cone of light. It uses LED headlamps. If the camera-based system registers either oncoming traffic or vehicles ahead, it will adapt the light distribution according to the specific situation when the high beam is switched on. Consequently, the driver can simply leave the high-beam headlamps on at all times and use their full range without irritating or even endangering other road users. There is no need to switch them on and off manually, resulting in a significant increase in the overall driving time with high beam.
- Night View Assist Plus. Besides the twin infrared projectors in the headlamps, an additional (long-range) infrared sensor has now been integrated into the radiator grille. For the first time, the new Night View Assist Plus is capable of detecting not just pedestrians in potentially hazardous positions in front of the vehicle, but animals too. This third-generation night vision system automatically switches the instrument cluster display from the speedometer to a crystal-sharp night view image to alert the driver in unlit areas. Pedestrians or animals detected ahead are highlighted in colour in this image. The spotlight function is additionally used to repeatedly flash pedestrians in the warning zone by means of a special module in the front headlamps. This attracts the driver's attention to the source of the danger at the same time as warning the person on the side of the road. The pedestrian detection function is now also available in urban areas with the night view image has been activated by the driver. An additional (far) infrared sensor in the radiator grille supplements the proven Mercedes-Benz night vision technology. It is able to detect pedestrians at a distance of up to 160 metres, and animals such as deer, horses and cattle at up to 100 metres. Two separate light sources in the headlamp assemblies light up the area in front of the vehicle with invisible infrared light.
- Traffic Sign Assist with wrong-way driving warning function: A new Traffic Sign Assist which builds on the capabilities of the previous Speed Limit Assist represents yet another contribution to accident prevention from Mercedes-Benz. The system is now also able to recognise no-overtaking zones and alert drivers to no-entry restrictions.
The W222 S-Class has a unique lighting system: Exterior and interior lighting is composed only of LEDs, the first automobile to do so. All models include all-LED lighting, though the number depends on the equipment of the specific vehicle. Around 500 LEDs attended to all the lighting functions on a car for the first time on the S-Class in 2013. The LEDs are placed as follows:
- Headlamps - each with up to 56
- Tail lamps - each with up to 35
- Interior - approximately 300
- Standard Airmatic air suspension with continuously Adaptive Damping System Plus
- Magic Body Control suspension (optional on V8 and higher models)
- Nine airbags as standard
- ESP Dynamic Cornering Assist
- Traffic Sign Assist with Speed Limit Assist and wrong-way driving warning function
- COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS (as standard)
- ATTENTION ASSIST (as standard)
- ADAPTIVE BRAKE (as standard)
- DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist
- Brake Assist system BAS PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist
- NECK-PRO crash-responsive head restraints
- PRE-SAFE, PRE-SAFE Brake, PRE-SAFE PLUS, PRE-SAFE Impulse, Pre-Safe with pedestrian detection and City Brake function
- Active bonnet
- Active Lane Keeping Assist
- Full-LED headlamps with Intelligent Light System and Adaptive Highbeam Assist PLUS
- Night View Assist PLUS (pedestrian/animal detection) with flashing Spotlight Function
- Head-up display
- COMAND Online with Touchpad
- Active Parking Assist
- Active Blind Spot Assist
- Crosswind Assist
- Torque Vectoring Brake
- Backup camera
- Electric parking brake with emergency braking function
- Direct-Steer Electromechanical steering with Steer Assist electromechanical steering power assistance
- MAGIC VISION CONTROL wipers
The vehicle was unveiled at Airbus in Hamburg-Finkenwerder followed its landing in Hamburg on board an Airbus A300-600 DHL cargo plane, followed by Shanghai's Mercedes-Benz Arena, 2013 Osaka Motor Show (S 400 HYBRID). The new S-Class has been available to order since the middle of May 2013 with official arrival at Mercedes-Benz dealers on 20 July 2013. Early models included S 400 Hybrid, S 500, S 350 BlueTEC, followed by S 300 BlueTEC Hybrid in early 2014.
US models went on sale as 2014 model year vehicles; the lineup initially included only the long wheelbase "S 550" (S 500 in Europe) in September 2013, and long wheelbase S 550 4Matic which arrived in November 2013. Auto Bild measured the LWB as the quietest among cars like Rolls-Royce Ghost and Bentley Flying Spur in 2014. Additional models, including V12 models and those from AMG arrived in early 2014.
Europe models went on sale at the end of July 2013, followed by China at the end of September 2013, USA at October 2013.
Japan models went on sale and delivery began at November 2013. Early models include the S 400 Hybrid (right steering), S 400 Hybrid Exclusive (right steering), S 550 long (left/right steering), S 63 AMG long (right steering), S 63 AMG 4Matic long (left steering). The S 300 BlueTEC HYBRID, S 350 BlueTEC 4MATIC, S 600, and S 65 AMG Saloon arrived at dealer showrooms in March 2014.
There is also the "S 500 Intelligent Drive", which is a self-driving version of the S 500 sedan, using sensors that are also available in the production version of the S-Class. The car uses the sensors to capture the massive amounts of data in traffic. The vehicle was unveiled in 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show.
S 63 AMG, S 63 AMG 4Matic (2013–)
Available in short (S 63 AMG only) and long wheelbases, they are versions of S-Class saloon with Mercedes-Benz M157 engine rated 585 PS (430 kW; 577 hp)@5500rpm and 900 N·m (664 lb·ft)@2250-3750rpm, 10-spoke or Siena 5 twin spokes AMG forged light-alloy wheels (8.5x19 front and 9.5x19 rear) with 255/45 R 19 front and 285/40 R 19 rear tyres (optional titanium grey and polished 8.5x19 front and 9.5x19 rear wheels with 255/40 R 20 front and 285/35 R 20 rear tyres), lightweight 78 Ah lithium-ion battery (from SLS AMG Coupé Black Series), a weight-optimised AMG high-performance composite brake system, aluminium body panels, a spare wheel recess made of carbon fibre, AMG sports exhaust system, AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission, ESP Curve Dynamic Assist, 2 suspension types (AMG RIDE CONTROL sports suspension, AIRMATIC with the Adaptive Damping System ADS PLUS in S 63 AMG 4Matic; "Magic Body Control" with Crosswind stabilization in S 63 AMG with rear-wheel drive), front apron with three large air dams with grille in high-gloss black, flics in high-gloss black on the side air intakes, side sill panels with three-dimensional inserts in silver chrome, AMG sports steering wheel. Other features include AMG door sill panels, AMG floor mats, AMG sports pedals in brushed stainless steel with rubber studs, Ambient lighting, Attention Assist, Collision Prevention Assist, COMAND Online, 10 loudspeakers with Frontbass, Metallic paintwork, Pre-Safe Plus, Tyre pressure loss warning system, LED High Performance headlamps, DISTRONIC PLUS (Driving Assistance package Plus, Night View Assist Plus).
AMG Performance Studio options include AMG Exterior Carbon-Fibre package, AMG ceramic high-performance composite brake system, AMG carbon-fibre engine cover, AMG performance steering wheel in black nappa leather / DINAMICA, AMG trim in carbon fibre/black piano lacquer, red brake callipers.
Other options include Air-Balance package, Burmester surround sound system, Burmester high-end 3D surround sound system, Business Telephony in the rear, Chauffeur package, designo appointments packages, Executive seat, Exclusive package, First-Class rear suite, Folding tables in the rear, LED Intelligent Light System, Seat Comfort package including ENERGIZING massage function, Warmth Comfort package.
US model of S 63 AMG 4Matic included increased top speed of 300 km/h, and was set to go on sale in November 2013.
S 65 AMG (2014–)
It is a version of the long wheelbase S-Class sedan with AMG 6.0-litre V12 biturbo engine rated 630 PS (463 kW; 621 hp)@4800rpm and 1,000 N·m (738 lb·ft)@2300-4300rpm, exclusive carbon-fibre/aluminium engine cover, 2 AMG logos on left and right with a centrally positioned Mercedes star, seven-speed automatic transmission, 78 Ah lithium-ion battery, AMG sports suspension with MAGIC BODY CONTROL with Crosswind stabilization, ESP Dynamic Cornering Assist, electromechanical AMG speed-sensitive sports steering with variable steering ratio, 8.5x 20/9.5x20-inch front/rear ceramic high-gloss polished AMG 16-spoke light-alloy wheels (optional 10-spoke forged wheels in polished titanium grey or matt black with a high-sheen rim flange and screw-in fully integrated wheel bolt cover, 5-twin-spoke forged wheels in titanium grey with a high-sheen finish and a black wheel bolt cover), 255/40 R 20 and 285/35 R 20 tyres, optional AMG ceramic high-performance composite braking system (front brake discs with a diameter of 420 millimetres, "AMG Carbon Ceramic" logo at brake callipers), V12 radiator grille with six twin louvres in high-gloss chrome, front apron with three large cooling air intakes, grilles and flics (air deflectors) on the side air intakes in high-gloss chrome and dark paint colours, side sill panels in high-gloss chrome, high-gloss black rear diffuser insert (optional grilles and flics in high-gloss black), "V12 BITURBO" lettering on the wings and the "S 65 AMG" model badge on the boot lid in modern typography, AMG sports exhaust system with two chrome-plated separate twin tailpipes, interior upholstery in exclusive nappa leather with seat upholstery layout in an exclusive diamond-pattern design, delineated perforations in the leather upholstery of the AMG sports seats, no perforations in the nappa leather wherever there is contrasting topstitching, nappa leather roof liner, leather-lined dashboard, door centre panels in a diamond-pattern design, leather-clad roof grab handles, additional wood trim, AMG stainless-steel door sill panels illuminated in white, choice of 5 colour schemes for Exclusive nappa leather upholstery (black, satin beige/espresso brown, nut brown/black, porcelain/black and crystal grey/seashell grey), newly contoured seat cushions and backrests, AMG badges on all four seat backrests, embossed AMG emblems on the front and rear centre console, AMG emblems on the trim of the seat backs, 2-spoke AMG sports steering wheel, contoured steering wheel rim is covered with nappa leather with perforated leather in the grip area, insert with AMG lettering, aluminium shift paddles, analogue clock in an exclusive IWC design (three-dimensional, milled metal hands and genuine metal appliqués on the dial), chrome-plated door pins with AMG logo, AMG instrument cluster with two animated round dials on TFT colour display (AMG-specific lettering and the needles in red/silver, AMG logo in the speedometer with 360 km/h scale (left) and the "V12 BITURBO" lettering in the rev counter (right), animated AMG start-up display is shown on the right-hand display, AMG main menu with digital speedometer and a permanent gear display in the upper section), head-up display, 6.5 x 4.5 centimetres touchpad integrated into the handrest with a cover for the keypad.
AMG Performance Studio options include AMG Exterior Carbon-Fibre package, AMG ceramic high-performance composite braking system, AMG performance steering wheel in nappa leather/DINAMICA (black), AMG trim in carbon fibre/black piano lacquer, red brake callipers.
Other options include 360° camera, Business Telephony in the rear, designo appointments packages, executive seat, First-Class rear suite, Individual Entertainment System in the rear, folding tables in the rear, Warmth Comfort package.
S 500 e (2014–)
The S 500 e is a plug-in hybrid version of long wheelbase S-Class sedan with 3.0-litre V6 twin turbo engine rated 333 PS (245 kW; 328 hp) and 480 N·m (354 lb·ft), electric motor rated 109 PS (80 kW; 108 hp) and 340 N·m (251 lb·ft), externally rechargeable battery, 4 hybrid operating modes (HYBRID, E‑MODE, E-SAVE and CHARGE), second generation recuperative braking system, haptic accelerator pedal, pre-entry climate control of the interior, Intelligent HYBRID with (dis)charging management based on COMAND Online navigation data, 8.7kWh battery pack.
The all electric range is about 30 km (19 mi) under the New European Driving Cycle. Under the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) tests, the S 500 e has an all-electric range of 14 mi (23 km), with some gasoline consumption (0.1 gal/100 mi), so the actual all-electric range is rated between 0 to 12 mi (0 to 19 km).
The EPA, under its five-cycle tests, rated the 2015 model year S 500 e energy consumption in all-electric mode at 59 kWh per 100 miles, which translates into a combined city/highway fuel economy of 58 miles per gallon gasoline equivalent (MPG-e) (4.1 L/100 km; 70 mpg−imp gasoline equivalent). When powered only by the gasoline engine, EPA's official combined city/highway fuel economy is 26 mpg‑US (9.0 L/100 km; 31 mpg‑imp).
The production vehicle was unveiled in Toronto in 2013, followed by 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show. Deliveries began in September 2014 in Europe, starting at a price of €108,945 (~US$146,000). The U.S. launch is slated for early 2015. A total of 17 units have been registered in Germany as of September 2014[update]. According to JATO Dynamics, a total of 38 units have been registered in Europe through September 2014.
It is a version of long wheelbase S-Class sedan with 6.0-litre V12 biturbo engine rated 530 PS (390 kW; 523 hp) and 830 N·m (612 lb·ft)@1900rpm, ECO start/stop function, optional touchpad, optional head-up display, COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS, optional electric windscreen heating. The vehicle was unveiled in 2014 North American International Auto Show. The vehicle went on sale in March 2014.
In 2015, Mercedes brought back the Maybach names as a sub-brand of the Mercedes lineup, representing advanced luxury. The first model produced was the Mercedes-Maybach S-Class, designed to be pitched against the Bentley Mulsanne and Rolls-Royce Phantom. At 5,453 mm (214.7 in) long with a wheelbase of 3,365 mm (132.5 in), the new model is approximately 20 cm (7.8 inches) greater in both dimensions compared to the long-wheelbase S-Class models. The Mercedes-Maybach is available as S 500 and S 600 models (the US received Mercedes-Maybach S 550 4MATIC and S 600 models, with the S 550 having the same 4.7L engine as the S 500 Mercedes-Maybach elsewhere), with 4MATIC optional with the V8 engine and V12 for the latter. Mercedes also claims that the S Class is the worlds quietest production car.  The basic car has colour options, and the choice between a rear bench seat or 2 reclining rear seats. Options include air-conditioned, heated and massaging seats; heated armrests; a system to pump Argarwod scent, ionised air around the cabin; First class suite for the rear cabon and a 1540 watt Burmester 3D surround sound system with 24 speakers.
W222 Facelift (2017 - Present)
The W222 S Class was given a facelift in 2017 as a mid cycle refresh. The elegant and majestic W222 S Class design have been well received by customers from around the world and thus little changes have been made to the cosmetic of the car. Instead emphasis of the facelift have been put on the technology capability of the car bringing along extensive innovations . The facelifted W222 S Class received an updated autonomous driving technologies ,that is superior to those found in the current W213 E Class , and also new engines. The highly anticipated all-new and highly efficient engine range with a series of new technologies for electrification of the powertrain will be expected to debut in future models of the facelifted S Class.
Powertrain: new engines with landmark technology
Several new engines are planned for the new S-Class: in-line six cylinders as diesel and petrol engines as well as a new V-8 biturbo petrol engine. In addition, Mercedes-Benz plans a plug-in hybrid with an electric range of about 50 kilometres. At the same time, ground-breaking technologies such as the 48-volt Integrated Starter Alternator and the electric booster compressor celebrate their world première.
Mercedes-Benz S 560 4MATIC and Mercedes-Maybach S 560 4MATIC.
The new V-8 comes to the starting line with 345 kW (469 hp) and 700 Nm. The new biturbo engine is among the most economical V-8 petrol engines in the world, and consumes about ten percent less fuel than the predecessor. To lower the fuel consumption, four cylinders of the new V-8 are deactivated simultaneously under partial load with the help of the CAMTRONIC valve-lift adjustment system. This reduces gas-cycle losses and enhances the overall efficiency of the four firing cylinders by shifting the operating point towards higher loads. The turbochargers positioned in the V of the cylinder banks represent another special feature.
Mercedes-AMG S 63 4MATIC+ 
For superior performance with significantly reduced fuel consumption, the AMG 4.0-litre V-8 Biturbo engine with cylinder deactivation replaces the previous 5.5-litre V-8 Biturbo. Despite less displacement, the new engine produces 450 kW (612 hp).
New in-line six-cylinder diesel engine
The Mercedes-Benz S 350 d 4MATIC and S 400 d 4MATIC are the most powerful diesel car in Mercedes-Benz history and It comes in two output levels with 210 kW (286 hp) and 600 Nm as well as 250 kW (340 hp) and 700 Nm. Even though it has noticeably more power than its predecessor, the new engine consumes over seven percent less fuel. The special traits of the top-of-the-line engine in the diesel family include the stepped-bowl combustion process, two-stage turbocharging and for the first time the use of CAMTRONIC variable valve-lift control. Its design features a combination of aluminium engine block and steel pistons as well as further improved NANOSLIDE® coating of the cylinder walls.
The new six-cylinder diesel engine is designed to comply with future emissions legislation (RDE – Real Driving Emissions). All the components of relevance for efficient emissions reduction are installed directly on the engine. The integrated technology approach combining the new stepped-bowl combustion process, dynamic multi-way exhaust-gas recirculation and near-engine exhaust-gas aftertreatment, for the first time combined with variable valve-lift control, makes further reduced consumption with low emissions possible. Thanks to the near-engine insulated configuration, exhaust-gas aftertreatment has low heat loss and extremely favourable operating conditions.
New in-line six-cylinder petrol engine (M 256)
The new in-line six-cylinder petrol engine exemplifies the electrification process and incorporates a 48-volt on-board power supply.
New intelligent forced induction that includes an electric booster compressor, as well as an Integrated Starter Alternator provide outstanding power delivery without turbo lag. The Integrated Starter Alternator is responsible for hybrid functions, such as boost or energy recovery, while allowing fuel savings that were previously reserved for high-voltage hybrid technology. All things considered, the new R-6 engine delivers the performance of an eight-cylinder with significantly lower consumption.
Systematic electrification dispenses with the need for a belt drive for ancillary components at the front of the engine, which reduces its overall length. The slim design, together with the physical separation of intake/exhaust, creates space for near-engine exhaust aftertreatment. The 48-volt on-board power supply serves not only high power consumers, such as the water pump and air-conditioning compressor, but also the Integrated Starter Alternator, which also supplies energy to the battery by means of highly efficient energy recovery. The new in-line six-cylinder comes to the starting line in two output levels which may include the S500 which produces 320KW of power and 15 KW from the ISG.
Technical data(FL W222) at a glance
|S 350 d 4MATIC||S 400 d 4MATIC||S350||S350||S450||S 500||S 560 4MATIC||Maybach S 560 4MATIC||AMG S 63 4MATIC+|
|Number of cylinders/arrangement||6/in-line||6/in-line||4/in-line||6/V||6/V||6/in-line||8/V||8/V||8/V|
|Rated output (kW/hp)||210/286||250/340||225/306
|Rated torque (Nm)||600||700||700||700||900|
|l/100 km *||5,5||5,6||8,5||9,3||8,9|
ENERGIZING comfort control
The ENERGIZING comfort control is a world-first entering series production: This optional feature links various comfort systems in the vehicle together, such as climate control, ambience lighting, massage and fragrancing functions, and allows customers to configure a specific wellness set-up to suit their mood or need. This enhances the physical comfort and performance on the road.
The ENERGIZING comfort control is a world-first entering series production: This optional feature links various comfort systems in the vehicle together. It systematically uses the functions of the climate control system (including fragrancing) and the seats (heater, ventilation, massage), the wall heating as well as lighting and musical atmospheres, and enables a specific wellness set-up tailored to the mood and need of the customer. This enhances the physical comfort and performance while driving and during a break. ENERGIZING comfort can be experienced in all seats, dependent on the equipment.
These six programmes can be selected:
- Training (three trainings – muscle relaxation, muscle activation and balance - each with several exercises)
The programmes all run for ten minutes. They are visualised on the head unit with colour graphics, and backed by suitable music. Five songs are already stored in the programme. The key function in the "Vitality“ programme, for example, is fast music with many beats per minute. The S-Class repertoire therefore features "Feelin' Good" by Leon Riskin, for instance. If personal music selections are available, e.g. via the Media Interface, the system analyses them in the background and assigns them to a programme based on the beats per minute (bpm). Individual functions of the programmes can be deactivated.
ENERGIZING Comfort Control also incorporates the ambience lighting, which is harmoniously tailored to each of the individual screen designs. The light stages the interior like a work of art by composing colour worlds from different colours.
The colour worlds can be temporarily replaced with special effects – for example, a special lighting atmosphere welcomes the driver. In addition, the climate control system indicates whether the temperature is adjusted up or down through the colour of the ambience lighting. The brightness of the LEDs adapts equally variably and can be set in five levels and four zones: wide-screen cockpit, area of front seats, rear compartment, and all. As a result, the ambience lighting harnesses the positive effects of light on the well-being while on the road. This makes this equipment feature a key part of ENERGIZING Comfort Control with its tailor-made programmes.
In addition, the ambience lighting creates emotionally appealing contrasts and structures the interior into levels. 64 colours, ten colour worlds and three different lighting zones (footwells, trim element level and wide-screen cockpit) enable an avant-garde lighting scene with spectacular colour changes.
Three torches of light as an exclusive exterior design feature. Modern luxury in the new S-Class is manifest in maximum quality of materials and workmanship. Status and technological competence are now even more tangible. All models are fitted with a new radiator grille: The versions with six and eight-cylinder engines sport three twin louvres as well as vertical strips with a high-gloss black finish in the radiator grille. The saloon with long wheelbase and V-12 engine is fitted with additional chrome-finish vertical strips in the radiator grille.
The upgraded front with extensive chrome trim underscores the exceptional status of the Mercedes-Maybach. Also new is the Maybach logotype between the louvres of the radiator grille.
In conjunction with the new MULTIBEAM LED headlamps (optional feature, details below), the S-Class features three distinctive torches of light as an exclusive design element. The front bumper with pronounced air intakes and sporty looks is also new.
The new LED lamps with crystal-look tail lamps stand out at the rear. They look like jewels and ensure a characteristic design day and night. A tail lamp light show that plays when the vehicle is unlocked and locked, as well as three horizontal pairs of fibre optics are also new.
All models are fitted with a redesigned lower bumper section with integrated visible tailpipe trim. The tailpipes are framed by a chrome trim element, which spans the entire width of the vehicle. Seven new light-alloy wheels with diameters between 17 and 20 inches are available as standard or options.
The interior of the new S-Class is characterised by the two new high-resolution displays, each with a screen diagonal of 12.3 inches. Visually, the two displays under one shared glass cover blend into a wide-screen cockpit and as a central element consequently emphasise the horizontal orientation of the interior design.
Like the instrument cluster, this wide-screen cockpit contains a large display with virtual instruments in the direct field of vision of the driver as well as a central display above the centre console. Because the cockpit is fully digital, the driver can choose from three different display styles ("Classic", "Sporty" and "Progressive“) and also configure the information and views relevant to them at will.
The new S-Class has touch-sensitive controls in the steering wheel. They respond to swiping motions like the screen of a smartphone and enable the driver to control the entire infotainment system without having to take their hands off the steering wheel.
The infotainment system can also be operated via the touchpad with controller in the centre console and by LINGUATRONIC voice control. The operation of DISTRONIC and cruise control with control elements directly on the steering wheel is another new feature.
Authentic materials and meticulous detail design
High-quality materials define the interior of the S-Class. These include, for example, open-pore woods as well as leather-trimmed doors and upper body edges, dependent on the trim level. Another Mercedes hallmark clearly in evidence is the high-quality look and feel created through meticulous attention to detail and craftsmanship.
The material and colour concept has also been carefully composed, and features a wide range of brown tones, including new colour combinations such as magma grey/espresso brown or mahogany brown/silk beige.
Lighting atmosphere with 64 colours
As before, the interior lighting uses only long-lasting, energy-saving LED technology. With 64 colours, the optionally extended ambience lighting offers a wealth of individual settings. It adds lighting highlights, for example, on the trim elements, the central display, the stowage facility at the front of the centre console, the handle recesses, the door pockets, in the front and rear footwells, on the overhead control panel, and on the tweeters when the vehicle is equipped with the Burmester® High-End 3D Surround Sound System.
All S-Class models are fitted as standard with the KEYLESS start function. This also marks the introduction of the new attractive generation of keys, with a high-gloss black or high-gloss white design and different ornamental frames.
|Body Types||Short Wheelbase Saloon (W 222)||Long Wheelbase Saloon (V 222)||Mercedes-Maybach Saloon (X 222)|
|S 320 (China)||-||June 2014 – June 2017||-|
|S 350(M276 V6)||June 2017- 2018|
|S 350(M264 I4)||2018|
|S 400||-||October 2013 – June 2017||-|
|S 450(M276 V6)||2017-|
|S 400 HYBRID||June 2013 –||June 2013 –||-|
|S 500/S 550 (US)||June 2013 –||June 2013 – June 2017||February 2015 - 2017|
|S560(V8)||June 2017- Present|
|S 500/S 550(US) 4Matic||June 2013 –||June 2013 – June 2017||June 2015|
|S 500 PLUGIN HYBRID||-||March 2014 –||-|
|S 600||-||March 2014 –||February 2015|
|S 63 AMG||June 2013 –||-||-|
|S 63 AMG 4Matic||June 2013 –||June 2013 –||-|
|S 65 AMG||-||January 2014 –||-|
|S 300 BlueTEC HYBRID||Mar 2014 –||Mar 2014 –||-|
|S 350 BlueTEC||2013–||2013–||-|
|S 350 BlueTEC 4MATIC||Mar 2014 –||Mar 2014 –||-|
The S 500 (and 4Matic) is sold as the S 550 in the US.
|Model||Years||Type/code||Power, torque@rpm||Fuel Consumption/Efficiency (EU-Norm combined)|
|S 320 L||2014–2017||2996 cc V6 turbo||272 PS (200 kW; 268 hp)@5000, 400 N·m (295 lb·ft)@1300-4500||8.0 L/100 km (29 mpg‑US)|
|S 400 L||2013–2017||2996 cc V6 biturbo (Mercedes-Benz M 276 DE 30 red.)||334 PS (246 kW; 329 hp)@5250, 480 N·m (354 lb·ft)@1600-4000||8.2 L/100 km (29 mpg‑US)|
|S 400 HYBRID||2013–||3498 cc V6 (M 276 DE 35)||306 PS (225 kW; 302 hp)@6500, 370 N·m (273 lb·ft)@3500-5250||6.3 L/100 km (37 mpg‑US)|
|electric motor||27 PS (20 kW; 27 hp)@?, 250 N·m (184 lb·ft)@?|
|S 500||2013–2017||4663 cc V8 biturbo (M 278 DE 46 AL)||455 PS (335 kW; 449 hp)@5250, 700 N·m (516 lb·ft)@1800-3500||8.6 L/100 km (27 mpg‑US)|
|S 500 4MATIC||2013–2017||4663 cc V8 biturbo (M 278 DE 46 AL)||455 PS (335 kW; 449 hp)@5250, 700 N·m (516 lb·ft)@1800-3500||8.6 L/100 km (27 mpg‑US)|
|S 500 PLUG-IN HYBRID||2014–||2996 cc V6 biturbo (M 276 DE 30 AL)?||334 PS (246 kW; 329 hp)@5250, 480 N·m (354 lb·ft)@1600-4000||3.0 L/100 km (78 mpg‑US)|
|electric motor||109 PS (80 kW; 108 hp)@? 340 N·m (251 lb·ft)@?|
|combined||442 PS (325 kW; 436 hp)@?, 649 N·m (479 lb·ft)@?|
|S 600, Maybach S 600||2014–||5980 cc V12 biturbo (M 277 E 60 AL)||530 PS (390 kW; 523 hp)@4900–5300, 830 N·m (612 lb·ft)@1900–4000||11.1 L/100 km (21.2 mpg‑US)|
|S 63 AMG||2013–||5461 cc V8 biturbo (M157 DE 55 AL)||585 PS (430 kW; 577 hp)@5500, 900 N·m (664 lb·ft)@2250–3750||10.1 L/100 km (23 mpg‑US)|
|S 63 AMG 4MATIC||2013–||5461 cc V8 biturbo (M157 DE 55 AL)||585 PS (430 kW; 577 hp)@5500, 900 N·m (664 lb·ft)@2250–3750||10.3 L/100 km (23 mpg‑US)|
|S 65 AMG||2014–||5980 cc V12 biturbo (M 279 E 60 AL)||630 PS (463 kW; 621 hp)@4800, 1,000 N·m (738 lb·ft)@2300–4300||11.9 L/100 km (19.8 mpg‑US)|
|Model||Years||Type/code||Power, torque@rpm||Fuel Consumption/Efficiency (EU-Norm combined)|
|S 300 BlueTec HYBRID||2014–||2148 cc I4 twin turbo (OM 651 DE 22 LA)||204 PS (150 kW; 201 hp)@4200, 500 N·m (369 lb·ft)@1600–1800||4.4 L/100 km (53 mpg‑US)|
|electric motor||27 PS (20 kW; 27 hp)@?, 250 N·m (184 lb·ft)@?|
|S 350 BlueTec||2013–||2987 cc V6 turbo (OM 642 LS DE 30 LA)||258 PS (190 kW; 254 hp)@3600, 620 N·m (457 lb·ft)@1600–2400||5.5 L/100 km (43 mpg‑US) (SWB), 5.6 L/100 km (42 mpg‑US) (LWB)|
|S 350 BlueTec 4MATIC||2014–||2987 cc V6 turbo (OM 642 LS DE 30 LA)||258 PS (190 kW; 254 hp)@3600, 620 N·m (457 lb·ft)@1600–2400||5.9 L/100 km (40 mpg‑US)|
|S 320 L||2014–||7-speed automatic 7G-TRONIC PLUS|
|S 400 L||2013–||7-speed automatic 7G-TRONIC PLUS|
|S 400 HYBRID||2013||7-speed automatic 7G-TRONIC PLUS|
|S 500||2013–||7-speed automatic 7G-TRONIC PLUS|
|S 500 4Matic||2013–||7-speed automatic 7G-TRONIC PLUS|
|S 500 PLUG-IN HYBRID||2014–||7-speed automatic 7G-TRONIC PLUS|
|S 500||2014–||7-speed automatic 7G-TRONIC PLUS, 9-speed automatic 9G-TRONIC for S 500 Coupé from January 2015|
|S 600, Maybach S 600||2014–||7-speed automatic 7G-TRONIC PLUS|
|S 63 AMG||2013–||7-speed sports (AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT)|
|S 63 AMG 4Matic||2013–||7-speed sports (AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT)|
|S 65 AMG||2013–||7-speed automatic (AMG SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 7G-TRONIC)|
|S 300 BlueTec HYBRID||2013–||7-speed automatic 7G-TRONIC PLUS|
|S 350 BlueTec||2013–||7-speed automatic 7G-TRONIC PLUS|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to
- "New Mercedes-Benz S-Class revealed". motoring.com.au.
- Jonathon Ramsey (15 May 2013). "2014 Mercedes S-Class is ready for your plutocratic dollars". Autoblog. AOL. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Mercedes-Benz S-Class Specifications". mbusa.com. 2014. Retrieved 2015-05-31.
- Meiners, Jens (May 2013). "2014 Mercedes-Benz S-class: "Effortless Superiority"". Car & Driver. Hearst Corporation. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- Model offensive in the luxury segment: Start of Production for the New S-Class at the Mercedes-Benz Sindelfingen Plant
- Jeffrey N. Ross. "2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class enters production". Autoblog.
- http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-1549267-1-1597451-1-0-0-1597463-0-1-12759-614216-0-0-0-0-0-0-0.html Glossary: Terms and innovations from A to Z
- "Multimedia features: Communication centre and concert hall" (Press release). Stuttgart, Germany: Daimler Media. 2013-03-26. Retrieved 2015-01-18.
- http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-1549267-1-1597435-1-0-0-0-0-0-11702-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html Suspension: The world's first suspension system with "eyes"
- "The new Mercedes-Benz S-Class - The aspiration: the best automobile in the world; Suspension: The world's first suspension system with "eyes"" (Press release). Daimler AG. 15 May 2013. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-1549267-1-1549448-1-0-0-1549717-0-1-11702-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html?TS=1419881588822 New assistance systems: The helpers in the background
- http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-1549267-1-1549448-1-0-0-1549717-0-1-11702-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html?TS=1419880945269 New assistance systems: The helpers in the background
- "Extended PRE-SAFE® protection: Prevention is better than cure - Daimler Global Media Site > Brands & Products > Mercedes-Benz Cars > Mercedes-Benz Passenger Cars > S-Class > Sedan > as of 05/2013". daimler.com. 19 November 2012.
- http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-1549267-1-1549474-1-0-0-1549717-0-1-11702-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html?TS=1419880077161 Extended protection in the rear: The seat belt gets into top shape
- http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-1549267-1-1549493-1-0-0-1549717-0-1-11702-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html?TS=1419881644638 More light and sight: The first ever car without a single light bulb
- http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-1210218-1-1210320-1-0-0-1210228-0-0-135-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0.html Night View Assist Plus: the third eye
- http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-1549267-1-1597223-1-0-0-1597463-0-1-11702-1549054-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html The driving assistance systems: Helpers in the background
- http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-1549267-1-1597178-1-0-0-1597463-0-1-11702-854934-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html?TS=1419953546476 Lights: The first ever car without a single light bulb
- http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-656548-1-1761294-1-0-1-0-0-1-12639-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html?TS=1420582847031 More light in every situation: Turning night into day
- Jack Ewing (May 26, 2013). "A Benz With a Virtual Chauffeur". The new york times. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- "Spectacular world premiere of the new S-Class at Airbus in Hamburg: Grand unveiling of the new flagship model from Mercedes-Benz - Daimler Global Media Site > Brands & Products > Mercedes-Benz Cars > Mercedes-Benz Passenger Cars > S-Class > Sedan > as of 05/2013". daimler.com. 13 June 2013.
- "Mercedes-Benz Arena Shanghai: Mercedes-Benz celebrates launch of all new S-Class in China - Daimler Global Media Site > Company > Locations". daimler.com. 29 January 2014.
- 第8 回 大阪モーターショー メルセデス・ベンツ/AMG/スマート 出展概要について
- Model offensive in the luxury segment: Start of Production for the New S-Class at the Mercedes-Benz Sindelfingen Plant
- "From 20th July at dealers: The new S-Class makes its appearance - Daimler Global Media Site > Brands & Products > Mercedes-Benz Cars > Mercedes-Benz Passenger Cars > S-Class > Sedan > as of 05/2013". daimler.com. 19 July 2013.
- "In search of the world's quietest car" Brüel & Kjær, 19 March 2014. Accessed: 2 October 2014.
- "S-Class market launch: New Mercedes-Benz S-Class is introduced in all key markets - Daimler Global Media Site > Brands & Products > Mercedes-Benz Cars > Mercedes-Benz Passenger Cars > Sales & Marketing". daimler.com. 29 January 2014.
- Fully Remodeled Mercedes-Benz S-Class
- S 500 "INTELLIGENT DRIVE" drives autonomously in the tracks of Bertha Benz
- "Mercedes-Benz's autonomous driving features dominate the industry -- and will for years". Automotive News. 4 August 2014. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- "Five Mercedes-Benz world premieres at the 2013 IAA: Benchmark for automotive passion - Daimler Global Media Site > Brands & Products > Mercedes-Benz Cars > Mercedes-Benz Passenger Cars > Special Topics". daimler.com. 11 September 2013.
- "The new Mercedes-Benz S 63 AMG: Driving performance in the luxury segment - Daimler Global Media Site > Brands & Products > Mercedes-Benz Cars > Mercedes-AMG > S-Class > S 63 AMG > Sedan > as of 09/2013". daimler.com. 14 October 2014.
- Seyth Miersma. "2014 Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG 4Matic stuns with 577 hp, 3.9-second 0-60 run". Autoblog.
- 第43回東京モーターショー2013 メルセデス・ベンツ/AMG/スマート 出展概要について ～ワールドプレミア2モデルを含む最新モデルを出展～
- Mercedes-Benz, AMG and smart at the 43rd Tokyo Motor Show 2013-Two world premieres and many more from the future and newest model ranges-
- "The new Mercedes-Benz S 65 AMG: Driving performance in its perfect form - Daimler Global Media Site > Brands & Products > Mercedes-Benz Cars > Mercedes-AMG > S-Class > S 65 AMG > Sedan > as of 11/2013". daimler.com. 14 October 2014.
- "Vicious Velvet Glove". Autoweek: 7. November 25, 2013.
- S 500 PLUG-IN HYBRID: the three litres car
- Bengt Halvorson (2014-01-17). "Mercedes-Benz S-Class Plug-In on Sale Early 2015, C-Class Hybrid Later". Green Car Reports. Retrieved 2014-01-17.|
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy (2015-12-18). "2015 Mercedes-Benz S550e". Fueleconomy.gov. Retrieved 2015-12-19.
- Daniel DeGasperi (2013-07-05). "Mercedes-Benz S500 Plug-in Hybrid: 245kW-plus and less than 3.3L/100km". Car Advice. Retrieved 2013-07-13.
- Danny King (2014-08-03). "Sales start for $146,000 Mercedes-Benz S500 Plug In Hybrid". Autoblog Green. Retrieved 2014-08-30.
- Jose Pontes (2014-10-15). "Germany September 2014". EV sales. Retrieved 2014-10-20.
- Bertel Schmitt (2014-12-03). "While EV sales rise, JATO counts 4,000 fewer Model S than Tesla". Daily Kanban. Retrieved 2014-12-06.
- "World premiere of the Mercedes-Benz S 600 in Detroit: New top model from Mercedes-Benz - Daimler Global Media Site > Brands & Products > Mercedes-Benz Cars > Motor Shows". daimler.com. 4 February 2014.
- Turkus, Brandon (19 November 2014). "Mercedes-Maybach S600 is not the luxury limo we expected". Autoblog.com. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- "Mercedes-Maybach S-Class: Stylish, effortless superiority combined with trend-setting exclusivity" (Press release). Mercedes-Benz. 19 November 2014. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- "Mercedes-Maybach S500 and S600 Launched in India". Archived from the original on 2015-10-03.
- "Mercedes-Maybach S 500 and S 600 Launched in India". Archived from the original on 2015-10-08.
- "The new Mercedes-Benz S-Class: The automotive benchmark in efficiency and comfort | marsMediaSite". marsMediaSite. Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- "The new Mercedes-Benz S-Class: The automotive benchmark in efficiency and comfort | marsMediaSite". marsMediaSite. Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- "The new Mercedes-Benz S-Class - The aspiration: the best automobile in the world; Drive system: Class-leading efficiency in every output category" (Press release). Daimler AG. 15 May 2013. Retrieved 15 May 2013.