The Mercedes-Benz Zetros is an off-road truck for extreme operations. It was first presented at the 2008 Eurosatory defence industry trade show in Paris. The Zetros is manufactured at the Mercedes-Benz plant in Wörth, Germany. The truck is designed to be compatible with the Hercules C-130 transport and also fits into a standard German railway carriage.
The Zetros is only available with a 326 metric horsepower (240 kW) engine and all-wheel drive:
- Zetros 1833 (4x4) - 4,000 to 6,000 kg payload
- Zetros 2733 (6x6) - 7,000 to 10,000 kg payload
Mercedes-Benz Zetros 1833 as a relief vehicle for the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami
Rolling chassis of a Zetros 2733
Mercedes-Benz Zetros 2733 6x6 technical rescue truck
Zetros 2733 of the German Army
- Engine: 7.2 L diesel 6 cyl.
- Power: 326 PS (322 hp, 240 kW)
- Torque: 1300Nm (958 ft lbs)
- Top speed: 55mph
Around 2 000 trucks are planned to be produced by the Algeria’s National Company of Industrial Vehicles (SNVI) destined for the Algerian defence ministry. Locally further developed into self-propelled artillery systems using the D-30 and T-12 gun systems.
In 2016, Mercedes-Benz presents and exhibit the Zetros in the Directorate of Arsenals, the plant of the former TAMSE in Boulogne. As reported by the Defensa site, the Argentine Army is a former customer of Mercedes-Benz. The idea is that the Zetros can replace, in a gradual way, the current fleet of Unimog and MB 1114.
Notable appearances in media
- "Daimler Trucks at a Glance" (PDF). Daimler. 2012. p. 25. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- "Transportable". The New Zetros. Mercedes Benz. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- "Mercedes' Middle Eastern Monster Mover--the Zetros 6x6 gets down to work on Biglorryblog!". Biglorryblog. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- "Zetros Ackerschlepper mit Allison Vollautomatikgetriebe" [Zetros farm tractor with Allison automatic gear]. Agrartechnik (in German). Deutscher Landwirtschaftsverlag. 10 November 2011. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "Algerian factory unveils new locally assembled truck for Algerian military". Defence Web. 16 March 2015. Archived from the original on 9 October 2015. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- Binnie, Jeremy (4 July 2017). "Algeria displays locally developed self-propelled artillery". IHS Jane's 360. Archived from the original on 6 July 2017. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "Армията се сдоби с Zetros". Bulgarian Transport Press (in Bulgarian) (4). 29 January 2009. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- Dikov, Ivan (6 January 2012). "The Bulgaria 2011 Review: Defense". Novinite Sofia News Agency. Sofia. Archived from the original on 11 September 2012. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- Porfilio, Gabriel (30 August 2017). "Chile to purchase more than 300 Mercedes Benz trucks". IHS Jane's 360. Orlando. Archived from the original on 22 June 2017. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- Wilke, Ralf (25 November 2013). "Geschützter Transportraum" [Protected transportation space] (in German). Streitkräftebasis. Retrieved 18 December 2013.[dead link]
- "Mercedes-Benz represented with 14 different models in the new film "A Good Day to Die Hard": G-Class, Sprinter, Unimog and Zetros save the World". Daimler. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mercedes-Benz Zetros.|
|This military vehicle article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This truck-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|