Mercedes Helnwein's large-scale drawings, most of which are done with black pencil, colored pencils, or pastels.
Mercedes Helnwein was born in Vienna, Austria. Her father is Austro-Irish artist Gottfried Helnwein. She and her brothers, Cyril, Ali, and Wolfgang Amadeus, often modeled for their father’s work as children.
Mercedes, like her parents and siblings, is a Scientologist. Helnwein has stated that Scientology is "just a tool you can use in life. People view it in a strange way.There’s lots of false stuff circulating about it, but it’s a totally separate thing from my art.”
- The Helnwein Siblings' Artful Life in LA, by Jessica Gelt, Los Angeles Times, Oct 16, 2011 
- Making Cindy Sherman Proud, by Rachel Wolff, New York Magazine, July 3, 2007 
- Mercedes Helnwein: Temptation to be Good, Juxtapoz magazine, December 30, 2013 
- Mercedes Helnwein: "East of Eden’’, by Peter Frank, art ltd, Jan 2010 
- People are Strange: Mercedes Helnwein’s ‘Make it Dark’ at Merry Karnowsky Gallery, by Keith Dugas, cartwheel, November 20, 2012 
- Beck, The Information, Art Direction and Design, http://www.bigactive.com 
- Ladygunn Surprise Issue: Mercedes Helnwein, by Heather Seidler, June 21, 2011 
- Rooms with a view of America's heartland, Jessica Gelt, Los Angeles Times, April 8, 2004 
- The Potential Hazards of Hester Day, Mercedes Helnwein Author, Publishers Weekly, November 5, 2007 
- Orla Kiely, UK, Films, http://www.orlakiely.com
- Jessica Gelt (April 08, 2004) "Rooms with a view of America's heartland", Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- Haramis, Nick (Dec/Jan 2008). “The New Literary Enfant Terrible.” Blackbook. Retrieved 2010-01-04 at http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/the-new-literary-enfant-terrible/1546#When:17:01:00Z
- Helnwein & Scientology, Lies & Treason by Peter Reichelt, 1997 - Page 200
- August Brown (November 2008). "The Radar People". Digital Modern Luxury. Retrieved 17 July 2013.