|Release date(s)||Microsoft Windows / Mac OS X
March 25, 2014
April 1, 2014
|Genre(s)||Shoot 'em up|
Mercenary Kings is a side-scrolling shoot 'em up game developed and published by Tribute Games. The game, created by the team behind Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game, was funded by Kickstarter and was released for Windows on March 25, 2014 and was released for PlayStation 4 on April 1, 2014 with an upcoming PlayStation Vita version in the works. An early-access version of the game was released on Steam on July 23, 2013.
Mercenary Kings is a side-scrolling shoot 'em up/run 'n gun similar to games such as Metal Slug.Players fight against hordes of different types of enemies,bosses, achieve certain objectives, and rescue hostages. Players have the ability to craft their arsenal of weapons and upgrade their armor, as well play alongside three other players, locally or online.
Tribute Games, formed from the team who previously worked on Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game, including animator Paul Robertson, launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund production of Mercenary Kings. Their initial target was $75,000 for a basic PC version, with additional milestones listed to add additional levels and modes, online support and a console version. The Kickstarter received a total of $116,064. At E3 2013, Sony announced at their press conference that the game would receive a console release on the PlayStation 4. On July 23, 2013, an early-access version of the game, containing 60 of the final game's 100 missions, was released on Steam. A PlayStation Vita version of the game includes Cross-Buy and other cross-features.
Mercenary Kings received generally positive reviews upon release, with the PlayStation 4 and PC version garnering scores of 70 and 77 out of 100 based on 21 and 12 reviews respectively by the aggregation website Metacritic.
- "Tribute Games, Mercenary Kings! Out Today On Steam!!!". Blog.tributegames.com. Retrieved 2015-05-28.
- "Mercenary Kings by Tribute Games — Kickstarter". Kickstarter.com. Retrieved 2015-05-28.
- Suszek, Mike (2013-06-10). "Mercenary Kings coming to PS4". Joystiq.com. Retrieved 2015-05-28.
- "Tribute Games is bringing Mercenary Kings to the Vita". Destructoid.com. Retrieved 2015-05-28.
- "Mercenary Kings for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Mercenary Kings reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved Apr 3, 2014.