Mercy Hospital and Medical Center
Mercy Hospital and Medical Center is a 292 bed general medical and surgical Catholic teaching hospital in Chicago, Illinois. Established in 1852, The hospital was the first chartered hospital in Chicago. In 1859, Mercy Hospital became the first Catholic hospital to affiliate with a medical school—Lind Medical School—and the first to require a graded curriculum. Today, Mercy Hospital and Medical Center is part of a nationwide network of Mercy Healthcare facilities. Mercy also is the hospital used by the Daley family: all of their children were born there. Mercy sold a plot of land to the north of their hospital for 60 million dollars in 2008. It is also the main women's cancer center in Illinois. It accepted patients from Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center and absorbed the ambulance routes when the hospital closed in 2008. Mercy follows Catholic teaching but does give birth control to rape patients.
Mercy is a Level 2 Trauma Center. The last year data was made available, Mercy Hospital and Medical Center had 16,359 admissions, 2,186 inpatient procedures, 3,973 outpatient surgeries, and its emergency room had 52,692 visits. The hospital is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association's Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program. In 2012, Mercy Hospital and Medical Center was ranked #35 for all hospitals in the State of Illinois and #27 in the Chicago metropolitan area by U.S. News & World Report.
- "Mercy Hospital and Medical Center Overview". U.S. News & World Report. 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "Acute Care Hospitals". Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program. 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- Redden, Molly (2016-09-01). "Woman alleges hospital refused to remove her IUD, citing Catholic rules". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- "Chicago area woman files complaint after being denied critical health care because of religious objections « American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois". www.aclu-il.org. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (2016-10-27), Extended Interview: Melanie Jones | Full Frontal with Samantha Bee | TBS, retrieved 2016-10-29