|5 July 2007|
|ISBN||978-0091920210 hardcover edition|
Mere Anarchy is an anthology of short essays written by Woody Allen. The book was initially published on 5 July 2007 by Ebury Press. The book is a collection of 18 tales, 10 of which were previously released in The New Yorker. This is Allen's first collection in 25 years.
- To Err Is Human; To Float, Divine
- Tandoori Ransom
- Sam, You Made the Pants Too Fragrant
- This Nib for Hire
- Calisthenics, Poison Ivy, Final Cut
- Nanny Dearest
- How Deadly Your Taste Buds, My Sweet
- Glory Hallelujah, Sold!
- Caution, Falling Moguls
- The Rejection
- Sing, You Sacher Tortes
- On a Bad Day You Can See Forever
- Attention Geniuses: Cash Only
- Strung Out
- Above The Law, Below the Box Springs
- Thus Ate Zarathustra
- Surprise Rocks Disney Trial
- Pinchuck's Law
In The New York Times, Janet Maslin noted that Allen's "writing style (...) remains impervious to the changing world around him," conceding that the older essays "outshine" the newer ones, but emphasizing that the newer ones "hold their own", and assessing the collection as "nostalgically enjoyable" and "timelessly bright". In the Guardian, however, Adam Mars-Jones called its content "perfunctory" and "lazy riffs and lame parodies (that) do more to annoy than entertain", while faulting Allen's use of a "facetious linguistic register" and "comedy names". A reviewer of Publishers Weekly commented "While this collection doesn't quite measure up to Allen's Without Feathers (1975), there are pieces here - for instance, the report on Mickey Mouse's testimony at the Michael Eisner/Michael Ovitz trial - that will put a rictus on your kisser." Tasha Robinson of The A.V. Club wrote "At its best, Mere Anarchy is absurd fun, but even Allen's best at this point is only meant for those familiar with, and predisposed to love, his intensely quirky style."
- Mars-Jones, Adam (22 July 2007). "Mere Anarchy by Woody Allen". The Guardian. London, England: Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- Maslin, Janet (June 17, 2007). "Book Review: Woody Allen's "Mere Anarchy"". The New York Times. New York City: New York Times Company. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "Fiction Book Review: Mere Anarchy by Woody Allen, Author Random House (NY) $21.95 (160p) ISBN 978-1-4000-6641-4". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- "MERE ANARCHY by Woody Allen | Kirkus Reviews". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- Plotinsky, Benjamin A. (October 2007). "Mere Anarchy by Woody Allen". Commentary. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- Robinson, Tasha (12 July 2007). "Woody Allen: Mere Anarchy". AUX. Retrieved 28 May 2019.