|Meredith G. Kline|
|Born||December 15, 1922|
|Died||April 14, 2007(aged 84)|
|Occupation||theologian and old testament scholar|
|Known for||Framework interpretation|
|Education||Gordon College, Westminster Theological Seminary|
|Alma mater||Dropsie College (PhD)|
|Institutions||Westminster Theological Seminary
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
Claremont School of Theology
Reformed Theological Seminary
Westminster Seminary California
Kline received his AB from Gordon College, Th.B. and Th.M. from Westminster Theological Seminary in Pennsylvania, and PhD in Assyriology and Egyptology from Dropsie College. He enjoyed a long and fruitful professorial career spanning five decades and two coasts, teaching Old Testament at Westminster Theological Seminary (1948–77), Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary (1965–93), the Claremont School of Theology (1974–75), Reformed Theological Seminary (1979–83), and Westminster Seminary California (1981–2002). Kline was a professor emeritus at Westminster Seminary California and Gordon-Conwell until his death. He was an ordained minister in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church.
Building on the legacy of Geerhardus Vos, Kline was an influential voice for covenant theology in the Reformed tradition, providing both new insights into biblical accounts and critical engagement with contemporary biblical scholarship. He is, perhaps, best known for his contributions on the subject of ancient suzerain–vassal treaties, specifically on the relationship of treaties from the 2nd millennium BC to covenants found in the Bible.
Theologian John Frame has called Kline "the most impressive biblical theologian of my lifetime," adding that Kline's work "is orthodox, yet often original, and it always provides [a] rich analysis of Scripture."
In 2000, a festschrift was published in Kline's honor: Creator Redeemer Consummator: A Festschrift for Meredith G. Kline, ed. H. Griffith and J. R. Muether (Greenville, SC: Reformed Academic Press), featuring scholars (and former students) such as Tremper Longman and Charles Lee Irons.
Some of Kline's many publications include:
- Kline, Meredith G. (1958). The Habiru: Kin or Foe of Israel (PhD). OCLC 39846689.
- ——— (1963). Treaty of the Great King: The Covenant Structure of Deuteronomy: Studies and Commentary (1st ed.). Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans. OCLC 23320371.
- ——— (1968). By Oath Consigned: A Reinterpretation of the Covenant Signs of Circumcision and Baptism. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans. ISBN 978-0-802-81621-4. OCLC 10128053. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- ——— (1980). Images of the Spirit. Baker Biblical Monograph. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House. ISBN 978-0-801-05416-7. OCLC 6672708.
- ——— (1997). The Structure of Biblical Authority. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans. ISBN 978-0-802-81475-3. OCLC 520918.
- ——— (2001). Glory in Our Midst: A Biblical-Theological Reading of Zechariah's Night Visions. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock. ISBN 978-1-579-10599-0. OCLC 50337531.
- ——— (2006). Kingdom Prologue: Genesis Foundations for a Covenantal Worldview (PDF) (reissue ed.). Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock. ISBN 978-1-597-52564-0. OCLC 70160948. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- ——— (2006). God, Heaven, and Har Magedon: A Covenantal Tale of Cosmos and Telos. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock. ISBN 978-1-597-52478-0. OCLC 70853391.
- ——— (2012). Treaty of the Great King: The Covenant Structure of Deuteronomy: Studies and Commentary (reissue ed.). Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock. ISBN 978-1-610-97698-5. OCLC 799060467.
Articles and chapters
- ——— (1958). "Because It Had Not Rained". Westminster Theological Journal. ASA. 20: 146–57. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- ——— (1969). "Canon and Covenant (part 1 – Canon and Covenant)". Westminster Theological Journal. 32 (1): 49–67.
- ——— (1969). "Canon and Covenant (part 2 – All Scripture Covenantal)". Westminster Theological Journal. 32 (2): 179–200.
- ——— (1970). "Canon and Covenant (part 3 – Canon Community)". Westminster Theological Journal. 33 (1): 45–72.
- ——— (September 1977). "Lex Talionis and the Human Fetus". Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society. 20: 193–201.
- ——— (February 1994). "Covenant Theology Under Attack Journal=New Horizons". Upper register. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- ——— (1996). "Space and Time in the Genesis Cosmogony". Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith. ASA. 48: 2–15. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- ———; Irons, Lee (2000). "The Framework View". In Hagopian, David G. The Genesis Debate: Three Views on the Days of Creation. ISBN 978-0-970-22450-7.
- Meredith Kline Online – a website with a comprehensive collection of Kline's writings
- The Upper Register – a website with publications by and about Kline from his former student and collaborator Lee Irons
- Audio lectures by Kline
- "Covenant Theology and Old Testament Ethics: Meredith G. Kline's Intrusion Ethics" by Jeong Koo Jeon, in Kerux: The Journal of Northwest Theological Seminary, vol. 16, no. 1
- A Glossary of Klinean Terminology
- 'The Feast of Cover-Over' (JETS 1994)