|If I Was Your Girl|
|Awards||Stonewall Book Award 2017|
Russo is a transgender woman who transitioned in late 2013. Her debut young adult novel If I Was Your Girl is the first widely distributed young adult book about transgender teens written by a transgender woman. It was inspired by Russo's life events. She wanted to write a book about a transgender character with a happy ending. In addition to her literary efforts, she campaigns heavily for HIV awareness and de-stigmatization.
Russo's debut young adult novel, If I Was Your Girl, published in 2016 by Flatiron Books. If I Was Your Girl is about a trans girl going to a new school and falling in love with a boy. If I Was Your Girl won the Stonewall Book Award for the Young Adult category in 2017 and the Walter Dean Myers Award for Outstanding Children's Literature in 2017. It also received a starred review from Kirkus Reviews, Publishers Weekly, and Booklist.
Her next young adult novel, Birthday, was published by Flatiron Books in 2019 and is a follow-up to her award-winning debut If I Was Your Girl, following two teenagers whose lives intersect starting from both their 13th birthdays.
Short stories and essays
- in Radical Hope: Letters of Love and Dissent in Dangerous Times, edited by Carolina Ee Robertis (Vintage, 2017)
- in (Don't) Call me Crazy, edited by Kelly Jensen (Algonquin Books, 2018)
- in Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet, edited by Jennifer L. Armentrout (HMH, 2018)
- Stonewall Book Award for the Young Adult category for If I Was Your Girl (Flatiron, 2016)
- Walter Dean Myers Award for Outstanding Children's Literature for If I Was Your Girl (Flatiron, 2016)
- Milwaukee County Teen Book Award Nominee for If I Was Your Girl (Flatiron, 2016)
- "Chattanooga transgender woman lands $100,000 book deal". timesfreepress.com. 2015-01-27. Retrieved 2017-07-01.
- "Meredith Russo | Authors | Macmillan". US Macmillan. Retrieved 2017-07-01.
- https://www.facebook.com/ev.mason. "Author Meredith Russo just wants a book where good things happen to transgender people". Washington Post. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- "Opinion | What It Feels Like to Use the Wrong Bathroom". Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- Wren (2016-06-19). "If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo – review". the Guardian. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- "Teens Review Meredith Russo's". School Library Journal. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- Jamundsen (2017-01-24). "2017 Stonewall Book Awards Announced". News and Press Center. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- "March: Book Three Wins 2017 Walter Dean Myers Award". The Booklist Reader. 2017-01-19. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo | Kirkus Reviews.
- "Children's Book Review: If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo. Flatiron, $17.99 (272p) ISBN 978-1-250-07840-7". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- If I Was Your Girl, by Meredith Russo | Booklist Online. www.booklistonline.com. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- "Book Deals: Week of October 24, 2016". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- "meet cute publishers weekly – Google Search". www.google.de. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- "Nonfiction Book Review: Radical Hope: Letters of Love and Dissent in Dangerous Times by Edited by Carolina De Robertis. Vintage, $15.95 trade paper (272p) ISBN 978-0-525-43513-6". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- (Don't) Call Me Crazy by Kelly Jensen | Kirkus Reviews.
|This article about an American writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|