|If I Was Your Girl|
|Awards||Stonewall Book Award 2017|
Russo is a transgender woman who transitioned in late 2013. Her debut young adult novel If I Was Your Girl is the first widely distributed young adult book about transgender teens written by a transgender woman. It was inspired by Russo's life events. She wanted to write a book about a transgender character with a happy ending. In addition to her literary efforts, she campaigns heavily for HIV awareness and de-stigmatization.
Russo's debut young adult novel, If I Was Your Girl, published in 2016 by Flatiron Books. If I Was Your Girl is about a trans girl going to a new school and falling in love with a boy. If I Was Your Girl won the Stonewall Book Award for the Young Adult category in 2017 and the Walter Dean Myers Award for Outstanding Children's Literature in 2017. It also received a starred review from Kirkus Reviews, Publishers Weekly, and Booklist.
Her next young adult novel, Birthday, was published by Flatiron Books in 2019 and is a follow-up to her award-winning debut If I Was Your Girl, following two teenagers whose lives intersect starting from both their 13th birthdays.
The different characters of her stories are based on people she met during her life or from her own personal experience.
Short stories and essays
- in Radical Hope: Letters of Love and Dissent in Dangerous Times, edited by Carolina Ee Robertis (Vintage, 2017)
- in (Don't) Call me Crazy, edited by Kelly Jensen (Algonquin Books, 2018)
- in Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet, edited by Jennifer L. Armentrout (HMH, 2018)
- Horror Stories from Meredith Russo's website
- Meltdown from Meredith Russo's website
- Stonewall Book Award for the Young Adult category for If I Was Your Girl (Flatiron, 2016)
- Walter Dean Myers Award for Outstanding Children's Literature for If I Was Your Girl (Flatiron, 2016)
- Milwaukee County Teen Book Award Nominee for If I Was Your Girl (Flatiron, 2016)
- Lambda Literary Award for Transgender Fiction for If I Was Your Girl (Flatiron, 2016)
- "Chattanooga transgender woman lands $100,000 book deal". timesfreepress.com. 2015-01-27. Retrieved 2017-07-01.
- "Meredith Russo | Authors | Macmillan". US Macmillan. Retrieved 2017-07-01.
- https://www.facebook.com/ev.mason. "Author Meredith Russo just wants a book where good things happen to transgender people". Washington Post. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- "Opinion | What It Feels Like to Use the Wrong Bathroom". Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- Wren (2016-06-19). "If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo – review". the Guardian. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- "Teens Review Meredith Russo's". School Library Journal. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- Jamundsen (2017-01-24). "2017 Stonewall Book Awards Announced". News and Press Center. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- "March: Book Three Wins 2017 Walter Dean Myers Award". The Booklist Reader. 2017-01-19. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo | Kirkus Reviews.
- "Children's Book Review: If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo. Flatiron, $17.99 (272p) ISBN 978-1-250-07840-7". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- If I Was Your Girl, by Meredith Russo | Booklist Online. www.booklistonline.com. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- "Book Deals: Week of October 24, 2016". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- "meet cute publishers weekly – Google Search". www.google.de. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- "Nonfiction Book Review: Radical Hope: Letters of Love and Dissent in Dangerous Times by Edited by Carolina De Robertis. Vintage, $15.95 trade paper (272p) ISBN 978-0-525-43513-6". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- (Don't) Call Me Crazy by Kelly Jensen | Kirkus Reviews.
- "Meredith Russo". www.goodreads.com. Retrieved 2021-05-04.
- Speak on It | Meredith Russo, retrieved 2021-05-04
- sibookdragon (2016-04-21). "Author Interview: Meredith Russo [in Shelf Awareness]". BookDragon. Retrieved 2021-05-04.
- "FREE STORIES". Meredith Russo. Retrieved 2021-04-22.
- "29th Annual Lambda Literary Award Finalists Announced". Lambda Literary. 2017-03-14. Retrieved 2021-04-22.