Meredith Stiehm (born 1969) is an American television producer and writer. She is the creator of the hit crime drama Cold Case and the FX thriller drama The Bridge. She is also a member of the Writers Guild of America and the Producers Guild of America.
Stiehm has chiefly contributed to the television series Cold Case (as creator and show runner/head writer), ER, and NYPD Blue. She was nominated an Emmy Award in 1998 for "Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series" on NYPD Blue. In 2004, Stiehm was one of five women at CBS who were in charge of a television series.
Although her later work exemplifies Stiehm's interest in high pressure, male-dominated environments, Stiehm got her start in the entertainment industry writing for Northern Exposure and, later, Beverly Hills, 90210.
On February 12, 2013, Deadline Hollywood announced that FX had picked up Stiehm's drama series The Bridge for a 13-episode order, which is originally based on the Danish/Swedish series The Bridge. Set on the border between El Paso and Juárez, the show centers on two detectives – one from the U.S., Detective Sonya Cross (Diane Kruger), and one from Mexico, Marco Ruiz (Demián Bichir) — who must work together to hunt down a serial killer operating on both sides of the U.S.-Mexican border. It began filming in April 2013 and premiered in July 2013.
Stiehm is writing and acting as executive producer alongside Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay for Cocaine Cowboys, an upcoming drama series project at HBO based on a 2006 documentary film of the same name.
Stiehm grew up in Santa Monica, California and graduated from Santa Monica High School and studied English and playwrighting at the University of Pennsylvania (UPenn), graduating in 1990. Stiehm's experiences in urban Philadelphia at UPenn and as a young woman in the entertainment industry provided much of the inspiration for Cold Case.
Awards and nominations
- Emmy Award (Nominated), "Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series", for NYPD Blue, 1998
- Emmy Award (Nominated), "Outstanding Drama Series", for NYPD Blue, 1999
- Emmy Award (Nominated), "Outstanding Drama Series", for ER, 2001
- Littwin, Susan (November 2004). "In the Company of Women". Written By. Writers Guild of America, west. Retrieved May 25, 2008.
- Knox, Malcolm (September 9, 2004). "Chill factor". The Age. Retrieved May 25, 2008.
- Gray, Ellen (December 31, 2003). "'Cold Case' writer is intrigued with character, a female cop in a man's world". Houston Chronicle.
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 12, 2013). "FX's 'The Bridge' Picked Up To Series.". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 12, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (December 19, 2008). "HBO sniffs "Cocaine"". Reuters. Retrieved December 22, 2008.