Mergenthaler Vocational-Technical High School
|Mergenthaler Vocational-Technical High School|
|3500 Hillen Road
Baltimore, Maryland 21218
|School type||Public, Vocational-Technical, Magnet|
|School district||Baltimore City Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Gregory Thornton [CEO]|
|Area trustee||Janice McCoy|
|Color(s)||Gold and Royal Blue|
Mervo was opened in 1953, established as a vocational-technical school that is named after Ottmar Mergenthaler. The school, according to its website, uses its curriculum to "educate students to function in an industrial and challenging technological society." All students must apply and meet certain standards of entrance criteria for acceptance to the school.
In 2008, Mervo has been named by the U.S. News and World Report, a "Bronze Medal" school. In 2012, The Mervo Mustangs Alumni Association was established. The Association has united classmates from the 1970s to present. Mervo also has accelerated curriculum which has both Advanced Placement (AP) courses and Honors Classes in all areas of education.
Mervo has 22 state-approved trades courses for students to enter into, including: Accounting and Finance, Allied Health, Auto Body and Repair, Automotive Technology, Business Management, CADD(Coumputer Aided Drawing and Design),Capentry, ChildCare, CISCO Networking Academy, Commercial Baking, Cosmetology, Electrical Construction, Food Services, Graphic Arts and Printing, Law and Leadership, Masonry, Plumbing, Project Led The Way(Pre-Engineering), Teacher Academy and Welding.
Mervo has one of the highest graduating rates in Baltimore City Public High Schools. The average graduating rate is at a successful percentage rate of above 85%,The students rather get into college or pursue their trade of choice and make a career out of it as soon as they graduate out of Mervo.
Mervo's student attendance rate is on average 85% and higher. This has been true especially through the 2011–2013 school years. This rate continues to keep growing as it is one of the highest rates in the Baltimore City Public School System.
The football field was named Art Modell Field at Mervo in honor of Art Modell, the longtime owner of the Baltimore Ravens. The field's renovation was spearheaded by The Ravens All Community Team Foundation, Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, CB Chris McAlister and the NFL Youth Football Fund. The $1 million project includes installation of a Sportexe turf field (like that at M&T Bank Stadium), additional bleachers on the home/away sides, a ticket booth, and upgrades to the restrooms and concession stand. Serving as the primary home to the Mervo High School football team, the stadium will also host the Northwood Youth Football league and the Baltimore Nighthawks of the Independent Women's Football League. The new $1 million football stadium will bear the name of former Baltimore Ravens owner Art Modell.
Mervo has many clubs for their students to be involved in and support groups. There are over 28 clubs afterschool for the student body too keep busy and help them be
- Student Government
- Cross Country
- Girls Basketball
- Track & Field
Mervo has won championships against other schools and its football rival, Carver Vocational-Technical High School.
- Varsity Vo-Tech Bowl:(2010, 2012, 2013, 2014)
- JV Baltimore City Championships: (1984,1994,1996,2012)
- Mervo Varsity Baltimore City Championship:
(1975, 2014*Undefeated, 2015)
- States:(1996,1997) *Regionals:(1996,1997) *City:(1996, 1997)
- State:(2009) *Regionals:(2006, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014) *City:(2006, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
Mervo Girls Basketball
- JV Baltimore City Championships:(2012, 2013) *Varsity City Championships:(2012, 2013)
- JV Baltimore City Championship:(2012) *Varsity City Championship:(2012) Regionals:(2012)
- City:(2012) *Regionals:(2012) *State:(2012)
- Mervo Step Team Diamond Divas: *Undefeated Baltimore City Champions(2007-2008)
- Cheerleading Championship(2012)
The official Mergenthaler crest is a blue and gold cogwheel for 10th-12th graders, which is representative of the vocational and technical industries that Mervo prepares its students for. The official Mergenthaler uniform shirts for 9th graders is a gold shirt with a blue cogwheel.
The Mergenthaler School song was penned by the president of the senior class of 1955. The Song is performed by the Mergenthaler Mass Choir before each school assembly after the playing of The Star Spangled Banner. The lyrics are as follows:
- Mergenthaler, Mergenthaler. To thy colors we'll be true
- In the Shining Sun lies thy gold, In the Heavens thy Royal Blue.
- From the earth we grew to meet the sky, is there any wonder why?
- Our love burns strong for MVT! And the embers never die.
- Alma Mater, Alma Mater, thy glories we will sing.
- Let thy Mergenthaler praises echo as our voices ring.
- For we love the spacious campus, and our spirit staunch and true.
- All the symbols that God gave to me! Wrought in Gold and Royal Blue.
- Maurice Tyler, Former NFL defensive back
- Sisqo, R&B Singer
- Bossman, Rapper
- Marcus Hatten, Former NBA player
- James Carter, Olympic Athlete
- Christopher Grimm, Toontown YouTuber