Location of Merijärvi in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Kari Jokela|
|• Total||229.88 km2 (88.76 sq mi)|
|• Land||229.83 km2 (88.74 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.8 km2 (0.7 sq mi)|
|Area rank||253rd largest in Finland|
|• Rank||297th largest in Finland|
|• Density||4.92/km2 (12.7/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.6% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||22.5%|
|• 15 to 64||59.1%|
|• 65 or older||18.4%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||20%|
It is located in the province of Oulu and is part of the Northern Ostrobothnia region. The municipality has a population of 1,130 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 229.88 square kilometres (88.76 sq mi) of which 1.8 km2 (0.69 sq mi) is water. The population density is 4.92 inhabitants per square kilometre (12.7/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Famous people in Merijärvi
- Juhani Alaranta, an ex-member of parliament.
- Erkki Haukipuro, a late member of parliament, minister and governor.
- Alvar Saukko, an ex-member of parliament.
- Tuomas Myllylä, a cartoon artist.
- "Population density by area 1.1.2016". Statistics Finland. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Merijärvi at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Merijärvi – Official website (Finnish)
|This Oulu Province location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|