|• Municipal manager||Pentti Ala-Luopa|
|• Total||1,246.22 km2 (481.17 sq mi)|
|• Land||446.04 km2 (172.22 sq mi)|
|• Water||800.2 km2 (309.0 sq mi)|
|• Rank||194th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||216th largest in Finland|
|• Density||6.85/km2 (17.7/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.1% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.9%|
|• 15 to 64||50.6%|
|• 65 or older||35.5%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||20.5%|
Merikarvia (Finnish: [ˈmeriˌkɑrʋiɑ]; Swedish: Sastmola) is a municipality in Finland. It is located in the Satakunta region. The neighboring municipalities are Isojoki, Kristinestad, Pomarkku, Pori and Siikainen.
The municipality has a population of 3,054 (31 December 2021) and it covers an area of 1,246.22 square kilometres (481.17 sq mi), of which 800.2 km2 (309.0 sq mi) is water. The population density is 6.85 inhabitants per square kilometre (17.7/sq mi).
The area has been inhabited since as early as 1800 BC. There are grave sites from the Bronze and Iron Ages within the municipality. Most of the cairns are located in Tuorila village located east of the municipal center.
The birth of the earliest villages in Merikarvia - Kasala, Riispyy, Ala- and Yli-Kylä, and Köörtilä - is dated to between the 13th and 14th centuries. As a separate municipality, Merikarvia has existed since 1865.
Results of the 2011 Finnish parliamentary election in Merikarvia:
- Centre Party 35.7%
- True Finns 23.7%
- Social Democratic Party 18.6%
- National Coalition Party 11.3%
- Left Alliance 6.1%
- Christian Democrats 2.6%
- Green League 1.7%
- Lankoski rapids
- The church of Merikarvia
- Oura Archipelago
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Preliminary population structure by area, 2021M01*-2021M12*". StatFin (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 February 2022.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age (1-year) and sex by area and the regional division of each statistical reference year, 2003–2020". StatFin. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2021" (PDF). Tax Administration of Finland. 1 December 2020. Retrieved 10 April 2021.
Media related to Merikarvia at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Merikarvia – Official website