This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Merit E. Janow is a professor in the practice of international trade and dean at Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs. Professor Janow teaches graduate courses in international economic and trade policy at SIPA and international trade law and international antitrust at Columbia University Law School. Janow has also served on the WTO appellate body since November 2003. Since 1997 she has also been an executive director of a new international competition policy advisory committee to the attorney general and assistant attorney general for antitrust at the Department of Justice, Washington, D.C. From February 1990 through July 1993, she was deputy assistant U.S. trade representative for Japan and China at the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative. Her responsibilities within USTR included the development, coordination, and implementation of U.S. trade policy and negotiating strategy toward Japan and the People's Republic of China. Before joining USTR, Janow was an associate with the law firm of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom, specializing in mergers and acquisitions and international corporate transactions. From 1980 to 1985, Janow was on the staff of the Hudson Institute, based initially in Tokyo and then in New York.
Professor Janow received a BA from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and a JD from Columbia University Law School. She is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, the National Committee on U.S.-China Relations, Asia Society, and the Japan Society, among others.
- The Future of Competition Policy in the WTO" (Kluwer Law International 2003)
- Unilateral and Bilateral International Approaches to Competition Policy: Drawing on the Trade Experience (Brookings Trade Forum 1998)
- Competition Policy and the WTO" in The Uruguay Round and Beyond, edited by Jagdish Bhagwati and Matthias Hirsch (University of Michigan Press 1999)
- U.S. Trade Policy Towards Japan and China" in Trade Policies for a New Era (Council on Foreign Relations Press 1998)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-03-23. Retrieved 2010-04-16.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
|This biography of an American academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|