Merlynston railway station
Northbound view in November 2006
|Location||Bain Avenue, Coburg North|
|Distance||12.49 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||2 (1 island)|
|Fare zone||Myki Zone 1/2 overlap|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||8 October 1889|
|Closed||13 July 1903|
|Rebuilt||1 October 1914|
Merlynston railway station is located on the Upfield line, in Victoria, Australia. It serves the northern Melbourne suburb of Coburg North, and opened on 8 October 1889 as North Coburg. It closed on 13 July 1903, and reopened on 1 October 1914. In 1922, it was renamed Merlynston after a well known estate in the area.
A level crossing, formerly located at Shorts Road, south of the station, was closed in the late 1990s, and a dead-end street was created on either side of the railway line. Until the track was duplicated to Gowrie in 1998, the line north of the station had only a single track, apart from the island platform at Gowrie, which had two platforms. However, one platform was a dock platform, meaning trains couldn't cross at Gowrie, and had to cross at Merlynston. Boom barriers were provided at the nearby Boundary Road level crossing, located at the Down end of the station, in 1984.
Platforms & services
Broadmeadows Bus Service operates two routes via Merlynston station:
Dyson's Bus Services operates one route via Merlynston station:
- Merlynston Vicsig
- "Items of interest". The Argus (Melbourne). Victoria, Australia. 30 January 1922. p. 8. Retrieved 11 September 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- VR Website by Andrew Waugh
- "General News". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. June 2002. p. 172.
- Upfield Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 530 Campbellfield - Coburg timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 531 Upfield - North Coburg timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 534 Glenroy - Coburg timetable Public Transport Victoria