Mermaid Waters, Queensland
Gold Coast, Queensland
Canal and homes, 2015
|Population||12,045 (2016 census)|
|• Density||1,696/km2 (4,394/sq mi)|
|Area||7.1 km2 (2.7 sq mi)|
|Time zone||AEST (UTC+10)|
|LGA(s)||Gold Coast City|
|State electorate(s)||Mermaid Beach|
Mermaid Waters is serviced by three public transport routes: Surfside Buslines routes 756 (Broadbeach South – West Burleigh), 750 (Broadbeach South – Robina railway station) and 757 (Broadbeach South – Burleigh Heads). The nearest rail station is Robina railway station, linking the Gold Coast with Brisbane.
The suburb derives its name from HMS Mermaid, a cutter ship that brought Australian surveyor John Oxley to the region in 1823. Oxley named the area where he landed "Mermaid Beach". The adjacent area to the west eventually became known as "Mermaid Waters".
Miami State School and Merrimac State High School both opened on 30 January 1979.
The Broadbeach Library (located in Mermaid Waters) opened in 2008.
There are two small local shopping centres in Mermaid Waters, and a medium-sized shopping centre, Q Super Centre, in the western parts of the suburb, with new retail and commercial developments being established in the adjacent area. Nearby Pacific Fair Shopping Centre in Broadbeach Waters is one of the largest shopping centres in the Gold Coast.
Miami State School is a government primary (Early Childhood-6) school for boys and girls at 18-36 Oceanic Drive ( In 2017, the school had an enrolment of 819 students with 64 teachers (55 full-time equivalent) and 43 non-teaching staff (27 full-time equivalent). The school includes a special education program.).
Merrimac State High School is a government secondary (7-12) school for boys and girls at Dunlop Court ( In 2017, the school had an enrolment of 1208 students with 103 teachers (96 full-time equivalent) and 57 non-teaching staff (43 full-time equivalent). It includes a special education program.).
Albert Waterways Community Hall is at the northern end of the suburb. Immediately adjacent is the Broadbeach Library, which despite its name is located in Mermaid Waters, opposite Pacific Fair. A customer service centre for the Gold Coast City Council is part of this precinct.
Another community hall is located on the grounds of Miami State Primary School.
Pizzey Park Sports Complex hosts a variety of sports and clubs in the southern Gold Coast. Adjacent to the complex is the Miami Olympic Swimming Pool.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Mermaid Waters (SSC)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 20 October 2018.
- Dunbar, Chantal (2004). Where to live in the Gold Coast. Surfers Paradise, Australia: Where to Live Guides. pp. 174–7.
- "Gold Coast Heritage site". Retrieved 17 April 2007.
- Queensland Family History Society (2010), Queensland schools past and present (Version 1.01 ed.), Queensland Family History Society, ISBN 978-1-921171-26-0
- "Public Libraries Statistical Bulletin 2016-17" (PDF). Public Libraries Connect. State Library of Queensland. November 2017. p. 13. Archived (PDF) from the original on 30 January 2018. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Mermaid Waters (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- "State and non-state school details". Queensland Government. 9 July 2018. Archived from the original on 21 November 2018. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Miami State School". Archived from the original on 26 January 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "ACARA School Profile 2017". Archived from the original on 22 November 2018. Retrieved 22 November 2018.
- "Miami SS - Special Education Program". Archived from the original on 26 January 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Merrimac State High School". Archived from the original on 14 March 2019. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Merrimac SHS - Special Education Program". Archived from the original on 14 March 2019. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Broadbeach Library". Gold Coast City Council. Archived from the original on 30 January 2018. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mermaid Waters, Queensland.|