Meru Wind Power Station
|Meru Wind Power Station|
|Location||Meru, Meru County|
|Commission date||2017 (Expected)|
|Nameplate capacity||400 MW (540,000 hp)|
The power station is located in northwestern Meru County, near the Meru County–Isiolo County border, south of Isiolo Airport. This location lies approximately 274 kilometres (170 mi), by road, northeast of Nairobi, the capital and largest city in Kenya. The approximate coordinates of the power station are 0°19'47.0"N, 37°35'30.0"E (Latitude:0°19'47.0"N; Longitude:37°35'30.0"E).
As part of efforts to diversify the national electricity sources, the government of Kenya plans to construct a 400 megawatt wind power station in Meru County. Kenya Electricity Generating Company, the government-controlled power generator will own and operate the power station. The first phase of this power station with generation capacity of 100MW was expected to come online in 2017, but delayed due to land disputes.
The project's first phase with capacity of 100 megwatts will cost approximately US$270 million (KSh26.4 billion), borrowed from France’s Development Agency (AfD) and Germany’s Development Bank (KfW).
- Xinhua (July 2015). "Kenyans planning to develop biggest wind power farm project". Mombasa: Coastweek.com Quoting Xinhua News Agency. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Otuki, Neville (7 April 2016). "Uhuru secures Sh7 billion from France for Meru wind power". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- GFC (12 February 2016). "Distance between Nairobi, Kenya and Isiolo Airport, Isiolo, Kenya". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- Google (12 February 2016). "Location of Meru Wind Power Station" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Mutegi, Mugambi (2 July 2015). "KenGen in 400MW wind power farm plan for Meru". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Masinde, Joshua (2 July 2015). "KenGen plans a 400MW wind farm in Meru". Daily Nation. Nairobi. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- "Kenya: KenGen halts Meru Wind Farm project". ESI-Africa.com. 10 April 2017. Retrieved 26 December 2017.