|Sir Mervyn Francis Brogan|
|Born||10 January 1915
Crows Nest, New South Wales
|Died||8 March 1994(aged 79)|
|Years of service||1932–1973|
|Commands held||Chief of the General Staff
Australian Staff College
|Battles/wars||Second World War|
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Companion of the Order of the Bath
Mentioned in Despatches
He served in the Second World War and was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire in 1944 for his service in the Salamaua–Lae campaign, during which Australian forces re-captured Salamaua. By 1954 he had become Director of Military Training for the Australian Army, and by 1956 he was Adjutant-General.
In 1965 he was an Australian Representative on the Military Committee of the South East Asia Treaty Organisation, by 1967 he was Quartermaster-General and by 1970 he was General Officer Commanding Eastern Command.
He was appointed as the Chief of the General Staff in 1971 and was appointed a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire for his service in that role in 1972. Australian troops were serving in Vietnam at that time.
- Death notice in the Sydney Morning Herald, 9 March 1994
- The Duntroon Society Newsletter 1 / 1988
- Pushing the Engineering envelope: 25 years of Warren Centre Achievement 1983–2008 University of Sydney, 2008
- World War II Nominal Roll
- Order of the British Empire, 27 April 1944 It's an honour
- There to the bitter end: Ted Serong in Vietnam By Anne E. Blair, Page 13 Allan & Unwin, 2001, ISBN 978-1-86508-468-8
- Error of judgement or outright bigotry? The colours controversy of the 1950s Sabretache, 1 September 2003
- The London Gazette: . 3 May 1965. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- South Vietnam. 1967-11 National Library of Australia
- Rare wines for sale The Sydney Morning Herald, 15 October 1970
- Order of the British Empire, 3 June 1972 It's an honour
- Chief of General Staff Brogan visit to 1 ATF DPR/TV/1427 Australian War Memorial
Lieutenant General Sir Thomas Daly
|Chief of the General Staff
Lieutenant General Frank Hassett