Mervyn Davies, Baron Davies of Abersoch
|The Right Honourable
The Lord Davies of Abersoch
Evan Mervyn Davies, Baron Davies of Abersoch, CBE (born 21 November 1952) is a former banker and was a UK government minister until May 2010. His role as Minister of State for Trade, Investment and Small Business involved oversight of UK Trade and Investment - the United Kingdom's export support and inward investment agency - and he had dual accountability to the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
Since 2010, Lord Davies has held executive roles on the board of Corsair Capital LLC, a global private equity group which focuses its investments in the financial services industry. He also acts in an advisory capacity to the CEO of Moelis & Company Holdings LP.
He is also Chairman of youth fashion chain, Jack Wills, a position he has held since 2014. He replaced Peter Saunders, who stepped down after six years in the role. Davies also holds non-executive roles at Chime Communications plc and Diageo plc.
In January 2015, he called for the investment in infrastructure in Wales, citing the need for better rail and mobile services.
Public Appointments and Honours
Davies is the Chairman of the Royal Academy of Arts Trustees.
Davies was awarded a CBE for his services to the financial sector and the community in Hong Kong in June 2002 and is a JP in Hong Kong. Upon taking up his ministerial post, he was appointed a life peer as Baron Davies of Abersoch, of Abersoch in the County of Gwynedd, so as to gain a seat in the House of Lords to be held accountable for his ministerial responsibilities.
Davies is married with two children and is a fluent Welsh speaker. He is a keen sportsman and is interested in Welsh art, music and reading.
- Standard Chartered Press Release - Board Changes
- "Davies joins US private equity group Corsair".
- "Senior Leadership". Moelis&Company.
- "Jack Wills to hire former trade minister Lord Davies as chairman". RetailWeek.
- "The hanging garden of London: funding drive begins for UK’s first 'floating paradise' bridge - Home News - UK - The Independent". The Independent. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- "Lord Mervyn Davies urges better rail and mobile services". BBC News.
- "Lord Davies appointed Deputy Chairman of the LetterOne Group". LetterOne.