6 October 1944 |
Merzak Allouache (born 6 October 1944) is an Algerian film director and screenwriter. He has directed 18 films since 1976. His 1976 film Omar Gatlato was entered into the 10th Moscow International Film Festival where it won the Silver Prize. His 1996 Salut cousin! was submitted to the 69th Academy Awards in the category for Best Foreign Language Film.
His 2011 film Normal! won the award for Best Film at the 2011 Doha Tribeca Film Festival. In 2012, his film The Repentant was screened in the Directors' Fortnight section at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival. It won the FIPRESCI Award for Best Asian Film at the 17th International Film Festival of Kerala.
He was born in Algiers.
- Omar Gatlato (1976)
- Mughamarat batal (1979)
- Homme qui regardait les fenêtres, L' (1986)
- Un amour à Paris (1987)
- Après-Octobre, L' (1989)
- Bab El-Oued City (1994)
- Lumière et compagnie (1995)
- Dans la décapotable (1996)
- Salut cousin! (1996)
- Alger-Beyrouth: Pour mémoire (1998) (TV)
- À bicyclette (2001) (TV)
- Autre monde, L' (2001)
- Chouchou (2003)
- Bab el web (2005)
- Tamanrasset (2008) (TV)
- Harragas (2009)
- Normal! (2011)
- The Repentant (2012)
- The Rooftops (2013)
- "10th Moscow International Film Festival (1977)". MIFF. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "Algerian Filmmaker Merzak Allouache Struggles with Censorship After Long Career". al-akhbar.com. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- Leffler, Rebecca. "Cannes 2012: Michel Gondry’s 'The We & The I' to Open Director's Fortnight". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- "2012 Selection". quinzaine-realisateurs.com. Directors' Fortnight. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- "Curtains down on IFFK, Sta. Nina bags Suvarna Chakoram". Malayala Manorama. 14 December 2012. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- Will Higbee, "Merzak Allouache: (Self)Censorship, Social Critique, and the Limits of Political Engagement in Contemporary Algerian Cinema" in: Josef Gugler (ed.), Ten Arab Filmmakers: Political Dissent and Social Critique, Indiana University Press, 2015, ISBN 978-0-253-01644-7, pp. 188-212
|This article about an Algerian film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a screenwriter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|